P90x - All I can say is WOW!!!

Replies

• Joey it will be soon my brother. A nurse approached me today about starting, she's excited and will get good results.

Sebastian, amen bro!
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    A great way to some up the challenge and the enormous benefits from the challenge is to say that p90x is the ultimate exercise in delayed gratification! A likely quitter is one who needs instant gratification and isnt willing to suffer first for more than worth while health benefits later.

Anyone agree or disagree with that?

I totally agree! That is why it is called P 90. It takes 90 days to do the program and get results. We didn't get out of shape overnight, and won't get in shape overnight!

Carol
  • Yep, no long term success until we get rid of the "fast food" mentality.
  • qtcaro
    qtcaro Posts: 48 Member
    Hi. I'm new to this site:) I am on week 4 of p90x lean recovery week. I have 10 pounds more to lose and am in pretty decent shape. If you only have the last 10 to lose and they are not budging when do you start to see results? I'm planning on adding turbo jam to the recovery week to get some additional cardio in before next weeks round of month 2.
  • I would just stick to doing p90x as it is without adding or taking away anything, especially if its your first time going through it. Second round, feel free to mix stuff up, I do :smile:

Phase three of p90x is the phase where you get ripped. The first two you are building muscle, or toning up. Phase three your diet changes so you have more energy for more explosive workouts and the workouts change more frequently resulting in the last of the stubborn fat melting away, exposing those lean muscles you have been sculpting.
  • carvan
    Hi. I'm new to this site:) I am on week 4 of p90x lean recovery week. I have 10 pounds more to lose and am in pretty decent shape. If you only have the last 10 to lose and they are not budging when do you start to see results? I'm planning on adding turbo jam to the recovery week to get some additional cardio in before next weeks round of month 2.

I too did the lean after a round of the regular. You may be adding more muscle, hence no change in the scale. Did you measure prior to starting? It is quite an accurate indication of progress. I saw most of my results after phase 2, so hang in there. There is already quite a bit of cardio in the lean rotation of the program, so like Sebastien said, keep the status quo, and if you decide to do a second round, then you could add more cardio on the strength days. HTH

Carol
  • I am doing P90 X MY SELF AND IT IS NO JOKE!!.. I LOVE THE WORK OUT THOUGH
  • carvan
    I am doing P90 X MY SELF AND IT IS NO JOKE!!.. I LOVE THE WORK OUT THOUGH

Yep, it sure is tough, but a lot of fun! I still love it, one year later. Plus there are others like the +. and one on one that also add variety, as well as ten minute trainer.

Carol
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I am doing P90 X MY SELF AND IT IS NO JOKE!!.. I LOVE THE WORK OUT THOUGH

You said it! Like Tony says, this isn't some silly little workout. :laugh: Great job!

Jess
  • Funny I found out one of the doctors I work with is doing p90x. He is an avid outdoorsman, biking, hunting etc. and he said he's yet to finish plyometrics. It's NO joke and it's not for the faint at heart, it will quickly weed out those who don't desire to put in some time to achieve their goals.

"Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body"....Tony Horton
  • jessmomof3
    Funny I found out one of the doctors I work with is doing p90x. He is an avid outdoorsman, biking, hunting etc. and he said he's yet to finish plyometrics. It's NO joke and it's not for the faint at heart, it will quickly weed out those who don't desire to put in some time to achieve their goals.

"Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body"....Tony Horton

Too funny! When my brother started P90X, he called me to tell me that he only made it through the WARM UP for Plyo and he was dead!!! :laugh: But after a while, he called to tell me he DID IT and he felt GREAT! It's amazing how your body changes and gets stronger!!

Love the quote from Tony... very true!

Jess
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,335 Member
    For those of you who run and do P90X: especially as I begin the program, how do you balance and set up your routine?
  • jessmomof3
    For those of you who run and do P90X: especially as I begin the program, how do you balance and set up your routine?

What I did when I first started P90X was no running for the first month. But... I was also coming off of an achilles tendonitis injury. :grumble: I would at least give the first week of sticking to the schedule and seeing how your body adjusts. Just a warning- you will be sore those first couple weeks!!! :laugh:

Now that I've been using P90X for well over a year, I've found that I can sub out the cardio workouts for my running, biking, and swimming. So I at least get in the 3 weight workouts a week (Classic rotation) and add in my other cardio to fit my training. It might take a bit of tweaking as you get started!! And don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions!

Jess
  • carvan

I would give the x a chance, need to get used to the workouts. Once you are familar with the cardio, sub some with running, maybe varying a different one each week. Or if you still have energy, on a weight day, you could run, but do one in the am and the other in the pm...Everyone has to do what is best for them

Carol
  • For those of you who run and do P90X: especially as I begin the program, how do you balance and set up your routine?

Yep you can vary the program, how often do you run. P90x is designed to give you 3 days a week of resistance training and 2/3 days of cardio/strengthening. If you are an avid runner, I wouldn't stop running, but if you do both running and p90x completely you'll need to significantly increase calories consumed.

My suggestion is if you're not a 3-5x/wk runner try p90x only for a few weeks and see what you think. If you absolutely have to run, substitute plyometrics, kenpo and maybe yoga for running days. In the end it depends on what your personal goals are also.

That being said what are your personal goals you're seeking?
  • 515TeachNRun
    My main goal is weight loss (about 10 lbs) and to gain definition.

My program should arrive any day, and I am currently training to run in a marathon, relay style. This means I will be running only 6 miles. Right now, I am running 5 days a week, ranging from 3 to 8 miles per run.

The race is Oct. 19, so I could wait, but I am very anxious to start. The trick is balance, as it is for everyone. I teach full-time, teach a class for teachers, run my children and household, grade papers, etc.

Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • jessmomof3
    My main goal is weight loss (about 10 lbs) and to gain definition.

My program should arrive any day, and I am currently training to run in a marathon, relay style. This means I will be running only 6 miles. Right now, I am running 5 days a week, ranging from 3 to 8 miles per run.

The race is Oct. 19, so I could wait, but I am very anxious to start. The trick is balance, as it is for everyone. I teach full-time, teach a class for teachers, run my children and household, grade papers, etc.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Let me know when you get it! Running is totally doable w/ P90X. Just make sure you're listening to your body and don't overtrain! A mom's job is never done... :laugh:

Jess
  • 515TeachNRun
    IT'S HERE!!!!! :happy:
  • jessmomof3
    IT'S HERE!!!!! :happy:

Woohoo! Read through the manuals and get ready to bring it!! :bigsmile:
  • IT'S HERE!!!!! :happy:

Make sure you share your before, 30 day, 60 day, and 90 day pictures with us so we can see how awesome you are doing :smile: