Low Fat Q

bren6536
bren6536 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I heard that low fat foods contain higher carb count. I haven't exactly compared alot of the foods but have checked the mayonnaise and salad dressings and they do have alot more foods if they are low fat.
So which is better low fat and higher carbs ....or.....regular fat and lower carbs?

Replies

• bren6536
    I heard that low fat foods contain higher carb count. I haven't exactly compared alot of the foods but have checked the mayonnaise and salad dressings and they do have alot more foods if they are low fat.
    So which is better low fat and higher carbs ....or.....regular fat and lower carbs?
  • bren6536
    oops! that's supposed to read..."alot more carbs" not "alot more foods"
    How can you tell that I am hungry right now!!! LOL
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    That's an interesting question that I too, have gone back and forth with. 9 times out of 10, the higher carb count from low fat foods comes from sugar. Likewise, lower sugar foods will be packed with fat. So. What's a person to do? I am one of those people who believes that at the end of the day-in terms of WEIGHT LOSS-a calorie is a calorie. You have to put out more than you take in. Period.

Generally speaking, I stay away from refined sugar. It just makes me feel like crap and doesn't keep me satisfied for very long. I find that I get more satiation from the fat. There are more calories in a gram of fat though. Unless you are eating bacon, eggs and cheeseburgers every day (which I doubt you are:)) my vote is to go low sugar and use your excersize and other good food choices to balance out the full-fat cookie, salad dressing, or whichever food in question. There's my two cents!
  • jdhm
    jdhm Posts: 4 Member
    I agree with going with the low sugar over the low fat. If you are a diabetic, you absolutely have to watch the sugar intake, and some low-fat products are misleading because they actually have more sugar in them than their regular counterparts. Sugar is what can create belly fat, and I believe the more sugar than you eat, the more that you want. Most people who cut out sugar end their cravings for it over a few weeks time. And fat does make you feel fuller and keeps you from having sugar highs and lows where you feel that you need to eat something before you crash!
This discussion has been closed.