CHANGE THROUGH LOVE, NOT HATE

Hi all-

I notice a continuing trend in a lot of people who struggle to lose weight where what triggers us to lose weight in the first place is something negative like hating how we look or how we feel. We use terms like loathing and frustration and disgust and a million other words that fill our thoughts.

These thoughts, I think, serve a purpose in what they do: they're the fire they gets us started.

For permanent change, however, I think these negative thoughts burn us out.

I look at people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off. They do this now with a positive mindset. They keep going with this positivity. If they fall off the wagon, they get right back on within a day or 2 or 3. It doesn't matter how long, but they do it.

They might even re-use the negativity as a trigger, but the negativity doesn't define their weight loss journey itself.

Personally, like many others here, I've lost so much weight in my life, that it'd be combined into twice what I weight now. I often gained it back, and I'm pretty usre that the reason I gained it back was having the wrong mindset. If our journey is plagued with self-hate, self-doubt, with daggers shooting out of our eyes at the mirror, with a fierce battle against the scale, then the journey's exhausting and not feeling positive enough to have that daily inspiration.

I want to encourage all of us to work toward this positivity. I want to lose my excess weight one last time and never need to lose it again. And I want to be smiling as I do it.

Someone once told me, "treat yourself as you would treat a small child, with love."

Only love has the power of positive change.

Replies

• TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Hi all-

I notice a continuing trend in a lot of people who struggle to lose weight where what triggers us to lose weight in the first place is something negative like hating how we look or how we feel. We use terms like loathing and frustration and disgust and a million other words that fill our thoughts.

These thoughts, I think, serve a purpose in what they do: they're the fire they gets us started.

For permanent change, however, I think these negative thoughts burn us out.

I look at people who have lost a lot of weight and kept it off. They do this now with a positive mindset. They keep going with this positivity. If they fall off the wagon, they get right back on within a day or 2 or 3. It doesn't matter how long, but they do it.

They might even re-use the negativity as a trigger, but the negativity doesn't define their weight loss journey itself.

Personally, like many others here, I've lost so much weight in my life, that it'd be combined into twice what I weight now. I often gained it back, and I'm pretty usre that the reason I gained it back was having the wrong mindset. If our journey is plagued with self-hate, self-doubt, with daggers shooting out of our eyes at the mirror, with a fierce battle against the scale, then the journey's exhausting and not feeling positive enough to have that daily inspiration.

I want to encourage all of us to work toward this positivity. I want to lose my excess weight one last time and never need to lose it again. And I want to be smiling as I do it.

Someone once told me, "treat yourself as you would treat a small child, with love."

Only love has the power of positive change.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    :drinker: Here here! :drinker:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Your right in the beginning it was me hating the way I looked because my ex while I was married liked me thick. At first it was just working out at the gym to blow off stream/frustration/anger towards him for cheating and breaking up a 5 year relationship. But I wanted to be skinny again like the day we met (I was 135lbs when we met and left the relationship a whopping 174lb) So about a month into it I started doing it for myself and myself alone because i knew I was NOT happy with the way I looked...started treating me body better instead of beating it up.

Thank you for posting this :heart:
  • kdzmom
    kdzmom Posts: 31 Member
    AMEN! :bigsmile:
    Thank you for reminding me that I am doing this for me and not as retaliation against the negative things in my life right now! I really needed this today! :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    That was absolutly beautiful!

I think we ALL should read this.
  • TheGoblinRoad

It's already off the main page, so I don't think many more will see the post. I put it in my blog too, if you want to refer anyone specific to it.

Let's do this!
  • racie3
    racie3 Posts: 10
    Beautifully stated! As I started this journey only recently, I did so with A LOT of anger. But now that I'm treating my body better, my mind is better too. And with a positive mind you can do anything! Thanks for reminding us!! :bigsmile:
  • TheGoblinRoad
    thanks
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I will bump it then!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    :drinker: Well said!!
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Be happy :happy: