Heart rate monitors

I'm new to this site and so far absolutely love it. I do have a question for anyone out there. I've been reading about purchasing a heart rate monitor to determine if I'm exercising within my "targeted heart rate" and did purchase one that also tracks calories burned. (I'm guessing I'm going through a plateau period and I'm growing impatient) However I was disappointed to learn that I was burning less calories while exercising than I thought (I was looking at websites that give you the calories burned according to your weight and time exercising.) Has anyone had the same experience? And if so, which information is correct? (My heart rate monitor records less calories burned than those posted on this website)

Replies

• jennNva
    jennNva Posts: 142
    I'm new to this site and so far absolutely love it. I do have a question for anyone out there. I've been reading about purchasing a heart rate monitor to determine if I'm exercising within my "targeted heart rate" and did purchase one that also tracks calories burned. (I'm guessing I'm going through a plateau period and I'm growing impatient) However I was disappointed to learn that I was burning less calories while exercising than I thought (I was looking at websites that give you the calories burned according to your weight and time exercising.) Has anyone had the same experience? And if so, which information is correct? (My heart rate monitor records less calories burned than those posted on this website)
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Did your HRM booklet come with a few physical exercise tests that have you figure your max heart rate? Because this is individual, as well as does it have you enter weight? Because I was once exercising and it was showing way fewer calories then I usually burn. When I checked the HRM out, it had somehow reset itself and was only set for someone who weighed 100 pounds. My problem is the opposite. My HRM shows I burn MORE calories than what is on the site.

I'd check out your device to see what features it has!

Good luck and welcome!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    this site, and any website, can only give you an estimate--the HRM is best to measure caloric burn. I have found that this site always overestimates my calories, which is why I finally bought a Polar F6 to use. Some times, this site has been as much as 1000 calories over my actual caloric burn.
  • i've got a question, i have NOOO idea how to find a good HRM. Can anyone give suggestions?

FYI-I work out at least 3 times a week doing a little cardio and 1/2 hour of weights, but want to step it up. so i'm not a huge exerciser, so don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

thanks, laura
  • i've got a question, i have NOOO idea how to find a good HRM. Can anyone give suggestions?

FYI-I work out at least 3 times a week doing a little cardio and 1/2 hour of weights, but want to step it up. so i'm not a huge exerciser, so don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

thanks, laura

I have a Polar F4 and it's great. Not alot of bells and whistles, easy to use. I totally :love: mine!!! It functions as a watch so I can wear it all the time but it keeps track of calories burned, length of workouts, time you spent in your target zones etc. It's simple, but works great!
    HTH,
    Heidi
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Definitely follow what your HRM says! It is making the calculation based on your height and weight and your heart rate through out the workout. The estimates online are estimate based on some average weight (I once read it is usually 135 lbs) and some average heart rate. Those estimates are not very accurate at all!

Keep in mind that you could do the EXACT same routine (e.g. a fitness DVD) one day, and burn more or less calories depending on what you put into it!

Push yourself just that little bit harder and you will see your monitor reading change dramatically!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Any Polar monitor is good - get the one that suits your needs in terms of bells and whistles. I've always had a more basic model, and been happy with it.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Any Polar monitor is good - get the one that suits your needs in terms of bells and whistles. I've always had a more basic model, and been happy with it.

I wish I had looked into the differences between Polar models before I bought mine. I went with the F11, and although I really love it...it has so many features and tools that I never use...an F4 or F6 would have probably suited me just fine and saved me a ton of money!
  • Thanks everyone...i guess i need to start saving my $$$!
    -laura