winter lazies

Uh oh, I can feel it coming already, the winter lazy's. I rode my bike again for the first time in a week last night. I had intended to keep riding for another month until time change and it would be too dark for a ride after work, but given how cold my ears got on my ride yesterday I may have to give up the bike even sooner.

Once I cannot ride and once it gets too cold for even walks, I plan on either getting one of those things to make my bike stationary, or joining the gym. But I am going to guess that riding my bike stationary is going to be nothing like riding it through the beatiful park and watching the cars and people and such. So despite the bike stationary thing being cheaper in the long run and in the privacy of my home, I am guessing I should join the gym instead. But I can already feel the reluctance to working out in the winter when its cold and yucky and already dark when I leave work. Just makes you want to go home and curl up in front of the TV.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Uh oh, I can feel it coming already, the winter lazy's. I rode my bike again for the first time in a week last night. I had intended to keep riding for another month until time change and it would be too dark for a ride after work, but given how cold my ears got on my ride yesterday I may have to give up the bike even sooner.

Once I cannot ride and once it gets too cold for even walks, I plan on either getting one of those things to make my bike stationary, or joining the gym. But I am going to guess that riding my bike stationary is going to be nothing like riding it through the beatiful park and watching the cars and people and such. So despite the bike stationary thing being cheaper in the long run and in the privacy of my home, I am guessing I should join the gym instead. But I can already feel the reluctance to working out in the winter when its cold and yucky and already dark when I leave work. Just makes you want to go home and curl up in front of the TV.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Think of it this way. . .

you'll no longer have sunlight to release endorphins. . .so the only cure to the winter blahs is exercise.

(I have S.A.D. and exercise has literally changed my life in this department.)
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Just wear the right clothing. I run all winter through snow and all I live in Chicago and winter is rough here but i just think being lazy all winter makes a rough start to summer........

NO EXCUSES:wink:
    Alisha
  • mamakitty
    mamakitty Posts: 249
    I usually lose more weight in the winter (Wisconsin winter) than in the summer. That is one of the only opportunities to be active, besides shoveling. And there is not as many temptations (summer bbq's, weddings, etc)

Just remember how important your lifestyle changes are. Just take it day by day and do the best you can everyday.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    I always struggle throught the winter. I live in a small town in Massachusetts. There's always too much snow and no where to put it. We don't have sidewalks on our roads and with all the snow, the roads become even narrower than the already are. It's dark out when I wake up and it's dark out by the time I get home from work.

It's just plain dangerous to run or walk outside!

I bought a treadmill last year and that helped. I'd tell myself that I couldn't watch my favorite TV shows unless I did it while on the treadmill (a moving treadmill).

But all in all - it's the lack of sunlight that gets me. I just feel tired because it's so dark all the time!