Calculating Non-Conventional forms of Exercise

Windress
Windress Posts: 22
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, my name is Lacy, and I'm a competitive horse rider and Three-day eventer in Texas. I have been riding horses for over twenty years now, I'm a pretty fit person, but much of my life has been spent eating whatever I darned well pleased because my metabolism was always off the charts. Well... As the saying goes, good things never last.

Now that I am getting nearer to an age when metabolism naturally slows down, I'm taking better care to control my intake based on the level of energy I expound each day. I do ride approximately Six days per week, with varying levels of intensity and activity from one day to another. This can include: Walking, posting/sitting trot, and cantering for ten minutes at a time without break; conditioning exercises, jumping exercises, no stirrups work, carrying jump poles and standards, rigorous grooming/bathing, stall mucking, hauling buckets, etc.

And while Horse Riding is actually found in the Exercise database, you can bet your britches it does not include all of That!

So here is my question: How can I best break down my activities to most accurately calculate the amount of calories burned on any given day?

Keep in mind that, since this is labor I have been doing for two decades, my body has developed the specific muscles acclimated to this kind of work. I may not be burning as many calories as it seems, and I'm not sure how to compensate for that situation.

If anyone could provide assistance in tabulating non-conventional forms of exercise (short of getting a fancy watch), I would greatly appreciate it!

Lacy

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    If you have a friend who has a Heart Rate Monitor or could buy one, you could wear one while you ride once to get an idea of how much you burn. it's a decent indication as long as you have one that has a chest strap where you can input your aerobic threshhold (VO2Max). The problem is that they're really only designed to estimate aerobic activities so the results COULD be skewed... but honestly it's better than any information you have now. Good luck.
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    I would just have your profile updated at a "very active lifestyle".
  • rshells
    rshells Posts: 33
    The best thing you can do is purchase a Heart Rate Monitor that way you will have an accurate account of how many calories you are burning daily
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Get the fancy watch.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Hi there,
    Below is a link for the website fitday. This link is for their page that shows calories burned by certain sports. Scroll down and you will see several for horseback riding/trotting.
    You just put in your weight/height/age and it will give you the average calories burned per hour.

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Sports.html
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    Hi there,
    Below is a link for the website fitday. This link is for their page that shows calories burned by certain sports. Scroll down and you will see several for horseback riding/trotting.
    You just put in your weight/height/age and it will give you the average calories burned per hour.

Thanks for the link oscurfmama this will be useful in future.
  • Windress
    Windress Posts: 22
    Hi there,

Thank you, OCSurfMama, for that great link! It definitely has some great stuff on it. However, I think some of its calculations some from the same source as the MyFitnessPal database, and only apply to horse riding in a limited capacity. For example, the list offers "saddling your horse" as a form of exercise in which you can burn 143 calories per hour. Well.... it takes approximately five minutes to saddle a horse, not an hour... and the level of effort depends on the height of the horse and the type of saddle used... see, now I'm just complicating things...

I do like that trotting is available in both databases, as it is a significant cardio and muscular work out (thighs, abs, back, glutes, calves, etc), but there is nothing for cantering or loping a horse, which is an entirely different kind of workout. Jumping, as well, presents a different set of demands on the body....

I suppose the popular opinion is correct, I will likely have to buy a heart rate monitor. I did take a pedometer with me to the horse show I attended this weekend, and it turns out I walked approximately 15 miles in two days. That doesn't even count the riding!
This discussion has been closed.