MFP Cycle gang 10/13/2008

Options
Ok, new week! Cooler weather--not here today though--78 degrees!

Got in a good long ride today--54 miles! Felt pretty good too for a change

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, new week! Cooler weather--not here today though--78 degrees!

Got in a good long ride today--54 miles! Felt pretty good too for a change
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I had a great time on my Poker ride yesterday. It was a mountain bike ride up in the Cuyamaca Mountains, and was absolutely beautiful. This area was devistated by the wild fires of 2003 and although it still looks damaged, it was heartening to see how well things are coming back. There was a very long character building hill at the beginning (I guess that's why they call it a mountain) which I had to walk part of, but just wait until I lose another 20 pounds. Had a ton of fun on the downhill. Unfortunately, my poker hand stunk and I didn't win anything!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I got in 11 miles today. I had already walked three miles before I rode and I still have a body pump class to go to so I took it easy to make sure I have some juice left to "pump me up"!!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Hey Shorerider,
    When is your century? Have you done 100 miles before?

Newman wants to do one Nov 15th. I did a metric on a hybrid and felt like I could have done more so I think I probably could do it now that I have the road bike. BUT, that little voice in my head is causing me to doubt myself. Do I listen to it or ignore it????:huh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    My Century--my first!!!--is Oct. 25th. The longest I've ridden so far is 65 miles. I'm not too concerned about the distance though. For me, the hard part will be keeping ahead of my blood sugar levels that long. I've got a group ride this weekend (Provided the rain holds off) where I'll be doing 60 miles one day and maybe 85 the next, depending---but that will be a good work-up ride prior to the Century.

If you've done a metric, you can do a Century! Just work up to it. Add 10% or so every week to your longest distance and you'll be ready easy by Nov. 15th. Try to get in a good long ride before then of 75-80 miles--if you can go that far, 100 will be nothing!

From what I've read and heard, the key is to pace yourself (which is hard for me, I want to go, go, go!), take breaks, eat proper amounts to keep energy up, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Make sure you eat something every 45-60 minutes, even if just some GU or Cliff shots or something but eat something. And drink something about every 10--a couple of sips--to keep hydrated. A 20oz bottle an hour is about the average I've found.

When you going to put up a pic of the Trek?
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your century, shorerider.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Good luck on your century, shorerider.

Thanks! I'm really excited about it--I've got my church folk "sponsoring" me in it to help pay for the new parsonage roof! :wink: They think I'm absolutely nuts, by the way, for doing it.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    My Century--my first!!!--is Oct. 25th. The longest I've ridden so far is 65 miles. I'm not too concerned about the distance though. For me, the hard part will be keeping ahead of my blood sugar levels that long. I've got a group ride this weekend (Provided the rain holds off) where I'll be doing 60 miles one day and maybe 85 the next, depending---but that will be a good work-up ride prior to the Century.

If you've done a metric, you can do a Century! Just work up to it. Add 10% or so every week to your longest distance and you'll be ready easy by Nov. 15th. Try to get in a good long ride before then of 75-80 miles--if you can go that far, 100 will be nothing!

From what I've read and heard, the key is to pace yourself (which is hard for me, I want to go, go, go!), take breaks, eat proper amounts to keep energy up, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Make sure you eat something every 45-60 minutes, even if just some GU or Cliff shots or something but eat something. And drink something about every 10--a couple of sips--to keep hydrated. A 20oz bottle an hour is about the average I've found.

When you going to put up a pic of the Trek?

I will try to take one today or tomorrow! Thanks for the 411
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hey Shorerider,
    When is your century? Have you done 100 miles before?

Newman wants to do one Nov 15th. I did a metric on a hybrid and felt like I could have done more so I think I probably could do it now that I have the road bike. BUT, that little voice in my head is causing me to doubt myself. Do I listen to it or ignore it????:huh:

I can not speak from experience but I say ignore it!! I have found that with cycling every new challenge is not as hard as I thought it would be. I say take shoreriders advice. Keep the miles up add to them every week an by Nov 15 you will be succesfull in your goal. :drinker:
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Here is a picture of me with my two week old road bike!! I must confess, I love her!!!

7ccfd412c1e18e3f_large.jpg
  • shorerider
    Options
    Here is a picture of me with my two week old road bike!! I must confess, I love her!!!

7ccfd412c1e18e3f_large.jpg

Looking good! I've put almost 400 miles on my Trek in less than 3 weeks! No ride today though--been snowed under with paperwork all day
  • Newman4AU
    Options
    Just the sight of her makes my heart go "pitter-patter"..... and the bike ain't half bad either!!!!!!!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Just the sight of her makes my heart go "pitter-patter"..... and the bike ain't half bad either!!!!!!!

Isn't he sweet???!!!:love::heart: :flowerforyou:
  • dothompson
    Options

For good reason. Beautiful bike Bamboo.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Finally got in 15 miles again this morning. Taking tomorrow off, then hope to get in 85 miles Saturday with a church group. Then taking a few days off to rest up for my Century Ride!

I just posted about my total miles year to date on another thread.

In 4.5 months, I have ridden 1791.83 miles!

That's an average of 398.2 miles per month.

My most active month was August when I rode 502 miles.

Since I got my new bike on Sept. 19, I have put, as of this morning, 398 miles on it!

And, I wondered why I have felt so freaking tired lately and so hungry all the time!

After I get in my Century ride (100 miles in 1 day) on Oct. 25, I'm cutting back for the winter and will be spending more time in the gym.
  • dothompson
    Options
    My buddies and I were out for our regular ride at 5:30 this morning and I was cold!!!!!

I really need to get used to cooler weather. It was 61 and I thought it was bad. I don't know what I'll do in January and it's in the 40s.