I hate the scale, so I tried something new

ohthatbambi
ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
The scale at my house never changes it seems, unless it budges up. I eat right, I exercise but that dang number just sits there and stares at me. It ruins my day when I get on it and there is no change, so today I fought the urge to get on it.

Instead I cleaned out my closet and started trying on stuff from last fall--wow, most of it was too big. Some of the stuff that was a little too tight last year fits great now. Some of the stuff was falling off.

That made me feel much better than stepping on that scale only to feel defeated!

Maybe I should just give the scale to Good Will too!!!!!:huh:

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    The scale at my house never changes it seems, unless it budges up. I eat right, I exercise but that dang number just sits there and stares at me. It ruins my day when I get on it and there is no change, so today I fought the urge to get on it.

Instead I cleaned out my closet and started trying on stuff from last fall--wow, most of it was too big. Some of the stuff that was a little too tight last year fits great now. Some of the stuff was falling off.

That made me feel much better than stepping on that scale only to feel defeated!

Maybe I should just give the scale to Good Will too!!!!!:huh:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker:

Congrats and yes, that is the best medicine!!
  • annekejohnson
    annekejohnson Posts: 49 Member
    I have been doing this same thing and it is much better than the numbers! I went shopping yesterday and tried on all smaller sizes... it was actually fun. I have also been putting on clothes that didn't fit last year and making sure that the big ones go in a bag straight to goodwill! I may be saving the smaller ones cuz I know they'll fit again but I'm getting rid of the bigger ones cuz if I gain it back I'm gonna have to pay the penalty of buying new clothes cuz I'm not saving the bigger ones for when I get bigger again!!!
  • I dont even own a scale...what I do is weigh myself on the electronic scale at the entrance of the supermarket (granted...it takes guts to climb up on that thing in front of the door where everybody turns to look at you while they go by :grumble: ) I figure that if I had a scale at home I would probably be racking my brains checking every morning...so this way I only weigh in when I go shopping, plus its a good reminder to keep me in line while I shop! :laugh:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Oh I HATE the scale.

I had to put mine away in the closet because I because I became neurotic about getting on it. I would step on that stupid thing 15 times a day, and jot down the number and if it was up by as little at .2lbs I would immediately start doing jumping jacks just to get my heart rate up.

And it hit a point where the number stopped moving. But my clothes told me that yeah, I was still looking smaller, so I put my obsession away. It's actually helped my weight loss progess.

CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Scales are evil.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    I dont even own a scale...what I do is weigh myself on the electronic scale at the entrance of the supermarket (granted...it takes guts to climb up on that thing in front of the door where everybody turns to look at you while they go by :grumble: ) I figure that if I had a scale at home I would probably be racking my brains checking every morning...so this way I only weigh in when I go shopping, plus its a good reminder to keep me in line while I shop! :laugh:

Yea but the thought of that might be motivation to stay away from snacking!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    If you do weekly and/or bi-weekly body measurements those also help. This goes along with trying on the target outfit. I found that a target outfit is very motivational, whether it's a pair of jeans, slacks, dress, etc. It gives you something other than numbers to shoot for. When you reach that target outfit select your next goal until you reach your ultimate goal.
  • Woo! Good Job!
    Just Remember, You gain muscle right? so sometimes you'll shed inches instead of weight and you find you fit in your clothes better!

:flowerforyou:
  • That is a great idea! My scale has betrayed me too by being stuck on one spot for months. finally it moved and then STUCK THERE FOR A MONTH! But I just went back on Atkins 2 weeks ago and it has finally moved! Only a couple of pounds but enough to make me happy!
    Keep up the good work and good luck.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I am glad I read your thread today. The scale hasnt been kind lately, trying not to let it get me down.

I was walking into the grocery store this afternoon and kept tugging up my pants (the ones I bought in August, size 12 petite) I realized my pants were falling down!!! In June I was squishing out of my 14's like the pillsbury dough when you open it. POP!

Now I am pulling up my 12P's.

So thanks for opening my eyes, and making me see the big picture!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Oh and by the way Bamboo...you look amazing!!:flowerforyou:
  • ohthatbambi
    Oh and by the way Bamboo...you look amazing!!:flowerforyou:

Thanks! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!