Weight loss help

f1ashuga
f1ashuga Posts: 4
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey all, I am goingon the end ofmy third week since I started my diet. The first two weeks have been great. i lost 12 lbs in sort a short time frame by keeping my calorie count 1200 or below and exercising rigorously. Alll of a sudden I gained 4 lbs back on. That was since monday and now I am stuck there and i have not seen any progress all week. Is this normal?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Weight loss is a really erratic process b/c the body is a complicated system and there are a lot of different things (e.g. fat loss, water retention, consumption and elimination) affecting what the scales show. And everything seems to be even more erratic in the first few weeks of a new program.

Don't take what the scales say too seriously during the first month.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    dont go under 1200 calories!! this is a common mistake. 1200 cals is the minium your body needs to fuel itself otherwise it will cling on to all the other calories you consume and wont let your body burn anything off. This is referred to as 'starvation mode'

Weight loss shouldnt be a rapid process, eat enough calories (of the good stuff of course) and when you do exercise make sure you top your calories up afterwards.

good luck x
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    ...you really shouldn't go below 1200 calories, especially if you are exercising. You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day and eating back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories. Don't be discouraged, just keep plugging along. We all have had our obstacles along the way.
  • bitterbb
    bitterbb Posts: 10 Member
    If what you had been doing was working keep at it with a few changes. Sometimes after a few days or weeks measurements of food can creep up a bit, make sure to measure as accurately as you did in the beginning. Also make sure you drink your water, all of it. Water can fluctuate greatly so don't panic or give up. After I lost 12 pounds I cleaned my basement. My muscles were aoooo sore! The next day I saw a gain and felt frustrated but decided to keep going. As muscles repaired and the pain went away the extrs weight dropped and I continued to lose. Just one example of how water (your natural muscle repair remedy, lol) fluctuated. Keep going! You can do it!
  • mcewan07
    mcewan07 Posts: 38 Member
    your metabolism seems to have caught up with you and so your few callories will not help. What you would have been etter soing is starting at 1400, then every fortnight or so go down by 50 calories, to a minimum of 1200. I think you should take yourself back up to 1400 cals or so, for a few days - week , untill your metabolism stabalises then go it again. this time doing as others suggest and eating some of your excercise cals.
    I had managed to lose 2 stone one diet alone doing it this way ( the dropping 50 calls, whenever i hut a stumbling block) unfortunately i met a new guy and started a new chapter in my life and put it back on.So i am now starting all over again.

Good Luck
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    I have lost 73 lbs since October and seem to have hit a Plateau even though some days I am 800 calories short of the calories I am allowed to eat. I expect if your more then 25 percent below your maintance level you are going to run this into problems at some point. I have changed my goal to one pound a week and am going to try eat close to my calorie goal and see what happens for four weeks. That will put me at a calorie intake about 22 percent less then my maintance level.

Some of the decision is based on this article.
    How To Lose Weight Fast Without Pills

You Are About To Discover the Secrets Most People Will NEVER Know About How to Lose Weight Fast

http://natural-weight-loss-tip.com/3500-calories-a-pound-of-fat-or-six-pounds-of-muscle/
  • f1ashuga
    f1ashuga Posts: 4
    Thanks all for your advice. It has helped me a lot and I will definitely take your advice.
This discussion has been closed.