Date night

peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
My husband is taking me out this weekend for the first time in over a year!! I'm, so excited to get out with just him, without the kids. Usually anytime we get a babysitter it's to hang out with friends but this time it's just him and me. He told me to pick what to do. I don't know what to pick. We barely ever get out without our kids, so I wanna do something really fun and memorable. There's not much playing at the movies that I want to see, so I've kind of scratched that. I was thinking bowling or billiards, maybe even take a trip out and do the walk at the haunted cornmaze!! I need some ideas that are not just your typical dinner and a movie!!

Second issue here, is we haven't left the kids with a sitter (usually my mom or sister) in a few months, and during this time my 10 month old has become very clingy with me and my husband. He crys whenever anyone so much as looks at him funny. This is weird to me because my other two kids were such people persons. So while I really want to go out with my husband this weekend, how am I even going to have a good time if I can't stop feeling guilty leaving my little guy behind? I have to get used to it sooner rather than later because I'm going back to work soon!!

Replies

• peej76
    My husband is taking me out this weekend for the first time in over a year!! I'm, so excited to get out with just him, without the kids. Usually anytime we get a babysitter it's to hang out with friends but this time it's just him and me. He told me to pick what to do. I don't know what to pick. We barely ever get out without our kids, so I wanna do something really fun and memorable. There's not much playing at the movies that I want to see, so I've kind of scratched that. I was thinking bowling or billiards, maybe even take a trip out and do the walk at the haunted cornmaze!! I need some ideas that are not just your typical dinner and a movie!!

Second issue here, is we haven't left the kids with a sitter (usually my mom or sister) in a few months, and during this time my 10 month old has become very clingy with me and my husband. He crys whenever anyone so much as looks at him funny. This is weird to me because my other two kids were such people persons. So while I really want to go out with my husband this weekend, how am I even going to have a good time if I can't stop feeling guilty leaving my little guy behind? I have to get used to it sooner rather than later because I'm going back to work soon!!
  • jsmalla
    jsmalla Posts: 140 Member
    How cool!

Your ideas sound great. It's not so much the "where" or the "what" that counts. It's the "who." Whatever is affordable & gives you enjoyment together. If you find some time to connect deeply during the evening, that will be memorable & worthwhile.

As for your 10 month old: he is well-loved & will not be damaged even if he misses you for the whole evening. Pick a stable sitter who won't be upset by his crying. One of the best gifts you will ever give him as parents is to love each other deeply & be on the same page. Your 10 month old will forgive you later for taking a night away every week or month to build your marriage & your home.

Go for it!! And have an awesome night together!!
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    How exciting! I like your cornmaze idea. Billards is always fun, how about pack some wine and cheese or if you don't like wine, then beer , pakc a couple blankets and driver somewhere scenic. Lay our your blankets and just enjoy being with it eachother.
    You could also go listen to some live music, go dancing. Most town have a historic area with shopping and restraunts, you go walk that.

Whatever you do, Have FUN!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I am all for the cornmaze idea!
    When my fiance came home on leave I took him to dinner at this tiny resturant and we went to a haunted mansion! It was kinda lame but we had fun doing it....poor man...he thought I was gonna rip that werewolfs head right off and I only body checked the guy with the saw....:blushing:
  • snelfk
    snelfk Posts: 151 Member
    As for your 10 month old: he is well-loved & will not be damaged even if he misses you for the whole evening. Pick a stable sitter who won't be upset by his crying. One of the best gifts you will ever give him as parents is to love each other deeply & be on the same page. Your 10 month old will forgive you later for taking a night away every week or month to build your marriage & your home.

I totally agree, and remember it's a lot harder on the parents leaving. The little guy will be okay - even if by chance he is upset the whole time your away. Breaking away from mom and dad is a process, and this behavior could be because he is the youngest. My youngest, at 14, still hates it when I leave - even managing to start vomiting because she's upset! I just tell her I love her like crazy, and yes I feel bad when I leave, but I know it's the best for both of us.

Go, have fun with your Man, because when the children are gone, that's who you'll be together with so don't lose that connection.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    OHHH, this is SO important! My hubby and I have date night once a month:love::heart: :love: We act like honeymooners again and let me tell you, I'm ALWAYS in love with him:) He will tell you the same thing! We have twins that are 16 and a 9 yr old and a beautiful, healthy family relationship. If mom and dad have their time, it's going to reflect on the family in a positive way. We have 4 resturaunts we like to go to and then we'll either go to a movie, out to the river and walk the rocks and sit there together (usually on a full moon):smooched: sometimes we just go eat and go to the mall. We never say we are going to do this or that, we just let the evening take us where it will. We always have a great time:) The other 3 weekends, we do with the kids! We have a "fun night" once a month where the kids pick out a movie and we gather in the living room to eat snack food while watching the movie! They love this b/c eating in the LR has always been a no-no, but we make a picnic with a blanket in the floor and it doesn't cost a dime. Do take time with your hubby! It's important for you and also important for him b/c hubbies tend to feel left out when little ones take so much of our time! I'm excited for you...dress up or going casual? It's so fun to plan on what you're going to wear! Go comfortable!! HAVE FUN:flowerforyou: I think I may go grab hubby for an evening walk!:happy:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Your ideas all sound fun. Not sure how cold it is where you are, but you could also play miniature golf or bumper cars. Anything that gets you laughing will make a memorable evening. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about your son. He'll be fine for one evening.

Have a wonderful date night!:flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    Jsmalla. I loved what you said, and really think it'll help ease my mind. My sister will be watching him, and even though I trust her with him, I know it can be frustrating listening to a baby cry for hours!!

It is very important for me to do this because I am in that rut that we get in from time to time, feeling like I have been reduced to caring for the kids, and the house and there's no time or energy left for me or hubby.

I wanted to try to go somewhere that we could dress a little, but realize that's not going to happen til I get back into my size 12's. The only thing in my wardrobe that fits are jeans and t shirts lol!! Which is why I have decided to do the cornmaze thing!! The last time we went it was 8 yrs ago, and when the chainsaw people chased us, my husband grabbed my hand and started runnng, dragging me behind him, and ended up twisting my ankle! Hopefully I finish the maze without any broken bones lol!
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member

i read an article in the paper last week that said married couples in recent times spend more time focusing on their children then on their marriage. the writer went on to make the point as how in your vows you pledge to take care of each other first, then take care of the rest of your "duties". you don't vow that you'll take care of your children first and then get to each other "if you have free time". it talked about how parents (or mothers as the writer said) get together and talk about nothing but their children, where as parents in the 50s talked about everything BUT their children. not quoting verbatim, but i think you get where i'm going hehe

it's nice to have the free time with your spouse. sometimes my husband and i just stay home and enjoy the "quiet", i hope you have a great night!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I suggest a makeout session in the backseat. Not a "homerun" makeout session (don't want anybody getting arrested), but some heavy macking for sure. Maybe 1st or 2nd base too.... Just you and him steaming up the windows!
    -Robin
  • peej76
    Well this just sucks!!! It's pouring rain and is supposed to all day! The cornmaze is out and I was really starting to look forward to it. I need a plan B. I was thinking of dinner then renting a couple of movies, but hubby opposes this because he says that isn't exactly a night out lol!! I don't really care for going to the movies cause you can't really have a conversation or spend any real "quality time". That makeout session is sounding really good right now Robin!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Well this just sucks!!! It's pouring rain and is supposed to all day! The cornmaze is out and I was really starting to look forward to it. I need a plan B. I was thinking of dinner then renting a couple of movies, but hubby opposes this because he says that isn't exactly a night out lol!! I don't really care for going to the movies cause you can't really have a conversation or spend any real "quality time". That makeout session is sounding really good right now Robin!!

Bowling? Shoot Pool? Movie (where you can have that make out session!) Find a place that serves dinner and has jazz band. Or some kind of band at 9 pm(have to ask if early session)

I can say from experience, that if you do not keep a relationship with your spouse alive, you can wake up with all the kids gone and not know who you are living with.

Thank GOD I was blessed and became reaquainted with my spouse and we are better than ever. I have to say, it was scary for awhile. SO keep up date night!! AND MAKE OUT!!:laugh: :smokin: :flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    So we're gonna go out for dinner and rent movies. This is my compromise lol!! This way I'm still leaving the baby for a couple of hours and can have that makeout session at home on our comfy couch!!(After we pick the kids up and put them to bed) What we miss of the movies, we'll pick up tomorrow lol! I'm also gonna stop at the mall and pick up some of my favourite dill popcorn from Kernels!!