time management

Options
peej76
peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
So for now I'm finding it easy to make time during the day for working out twice, taking the baby out for a walk, keeping up on my housework, helping the older kiddos with their homework. But I'll soon be going back to work and am really wanting to stick to this but add 8 plus hours away from home, how on earth am I going to be able to stay on top of things. I'm no stranger to working for a living but I'm just kinda freaking out, time is my worst enemy!!

Right now, I'll get up in the morning, work out for an hour, hop in the shower, have breakfast, put the baby for a nap, do all the housework, get in about a half hour of me time (computer, phone or reading), get baby up, play, lunch, take a walk, play some more with the babe, pick kids up from bus stop, homework, naptime again for the baby, second workout (these may soon be eliminating since the little monster has decided on a 20 min nap), more housework, supper prep, eat, supper cleanup, tuck the kids in, then collpase on the couch and catch an hour or so of t.v. before I'm off to bed!

I know you all do this too, but could you working parents out there give me an idea of what your day looks like, so I can get some ideas on how to manage my time once I get back to work? The cool thing is my work has an onsite gym, very very affordable, but when I'm done work for the day, I need to get home asap to pick kids up from daycare, because #1 I'm already feeling guilty about having to go back to work and #2 I can't afford the extra cash going out to my babysitter!

Replies

• peej76
    Options
    So for now I'm finding it easy to make time during the day for working out twice, taking the baby out for a walk, keeping up on my housework, helping the older kiddos with their homework. But I'll soon be going back to work and am really wanting to stick to this but add 8 plus hours away from home, how on earth am I going to be able to stay on top of things. I'm no stranger to working for a living but I'm just kinda freaking out, time is my worst enemy!!

Right now, I'll get up in the morning, work out for an hour, hop in the shower, have breakfast, put the baby for a nap, do all the housework, get in about a half hour of me time (computer, phone or reading), get baby up, play, lunch, take a walk, play some more with the babe, pick kids up from bus stop, homework, naptime again for the baby, second workout (these may soon be eliminating since the little monster has decided on a 20 min nap), more housework, supper prep, eat, supper cleanup, tuck the kids in, then collpase on the couch and catch an hour or so of t.v. before I'm off to bed!

I know you all do this too, but could you working parents out there give me an idea of what your day looks like, so I can get some ideas on how to manage my time once I get back to work? The cool thing is my work has an onsite gym, very very affordable, but when I'm done work for the day, I need to get home asap to pick kids up from daycare, because #1 I'm already feeling guilty about having to go back to work and #2 I can't afford the extra cash going out to my babysitter!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know what you mean - I'm a full-time working mother of three kids (if DH counts, then 4 kids :laugh: ). Throw an hour commute into that mix - and it makes for a very busy week, but it is doable.

I wake up at 4 AM, and 4-4:30 AM is "me time", then I pack up and hit the pool and swim from 5:30-6:30 AM, hit the showers and then drive to work. DH does AM's with the kids, and drops off at school/daycare. I get off work at 330-4 PM, and pick up, feed them dinner, take them to swim practice, then home for homework/reading (DH is in law school at nights, so I'm on my own for now during the PM). While the older kids do homework, the youngest (age 4) watches cartoons, and I prep the crockpot for the next day's dinner (DH job is to start the crockpot before he leaves), start a load of laundry, etc. Bed time is 8:30 PM and usually I'm asleep by 9 :laugh: - not much of a night owl anymore! Anways, now it works like clockwork - the kids know what they need to do, and everything that needs to get done, gets done. When my son was smaller, I put him in a metal frame backpack carrier while I did dinner, etc. That way he was happy and I could get stuff done.

Edited to add - can you work out at the gym during lunch?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I work out at the on-site gym during my lunch hour every day. It's a great midday pick-me-up.
  • peej76
    Options
    My lunch is only a half an hour and they are very strict about that half hour, so by the time I get to the gym, get in my sweats, work out then shower to get back on the phones at exactly half past the hour, it would just not be worth it. Going before work might be a good idea, but depends on how often I'm up with the baby at night. Work usually starts at 7, so that would put me waking up at about 4. If Cash sleeps through the night that would be manageable, but not if I have to get up with him for an hour, sometimes two. I know I'll have to make changes to his schedule and mine, and it'll take some time finding out what works best. I'm just not willing to cut both my workouts, one yes, but not both. I'll probably do my walking during my half hour lunch around the office lot, this will allow me to eat and get in a walk all at once. Might have to squeeze in a walk after supper time as well, which will also take some getting used to as supper isn't til 7.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    My lunch is only a half an hour and they are very strict about that half hour, so by the time I get to the gym, get in my sweats, work out then shower to get back on the phones at exactly half past the hour, it would just not be worth it. Going before work might be a good idea, but depends on how often I'm up with the baby at night. Work usually starts at 7, so that would put me waking up at about 4. If Cash sleeps through the night that would be manageable, but not if I have to get up with him for an hour, sometimes two. I know I'll have to make changes to his schedule and mine, and it'll take some time finding out what works best. I'm just not willing to cut both my workouts, one yes, but not both. I'll probably do my walking during my half hour lunch around the office lot, this will allow me to eat and get in a walk all at once. Might have to squeeze in a walk after supper time as well, which will also take some getting used to as supper isn't til 7.

Can you work the night-time schedule out with your husband? For example, he gets up with the baby MWF, so you can sleep (thus can get up early and workout). If you are still breastfeeding, you can pump so he can feed the baby.