Awesome High-Protein Breakfast Burrito Substitute

Breakfast burritos are my favorite thing in the world. Like, seriously. Specifically, a local chain called "santiago's" has the world's BEST breakfast burritos because they have the best super spicy green chili (spicy things are my favorite).

It's a gloomy morning here in Colorado and I wanted a spicy Santiago's burrito. First, I looked it up on this database. HOLY COW!

My favorite breakfast burrito has: 596 calories, 32 grams of fat (16 saturated and 12 monosaturated), 51 grams of carbs, and only 26 grams of protein. Not exactly health food...Let alone, when I go get Santiago's I usually eat TWO of those.
So I decided ot experiment and try to make a high protein, low fat breakfast burrito that would satisy my craving.

I wound up with a concotion that was: 360 calories, 11 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbs, and 46 grams of protein! HECK YES!
Not to mention, the fat content could easily be reduced by 5 grams by eliminating the egg yolk and only doing egg whites and using reduced fat (or no cheese). But I love the gooey-ness that a yolk adds the the burrito.

Recipe:
BIG sunny-side up egg (3 eggs whites, 1 yolk)
Multi-grain with flax flat-out wraps
Lean turkey lunch meat
Sprinkle of cheese
Salsa
Cilantro

Layer them, roll them up, and enjoy a filling, healthy alternative!
NOM NOM NOM
I love fooooooooodddd.

Replies

• 2011_4mygirls
    2011_4mygirls Posts: 298 Member
    Thanks for sharing, I can not wait to try them!
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks for the recipe, that sounds amazing. But I'm a sucker for anything with cilantro in it :smile:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    YUM!! Thanks, going to try this recipe!!! (NM here, I TOTALLY get the BB fixation. It's a Southwest thing....we love our chile!)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    thanks
  • kimcatus
    kimcatus Posts: 27
    I love the flat-outs for sandwiches and pizza but never thought to use them for breakfast burritos! *facepalm* Thanks for sharing! Sounds great! :)
  • Sounds so yummy i am going to try this for sure!! :o)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Good stuff. I read the macros of the first one and was thinking "this isn't high protein".

The bottom one looks good.
  • Im looking for breakfast alternatives with high protein - doctor recommended - so will give this a try manana!

Love cilantro and just need to buy the wrap and turkey
  • bsundgren
    bsundgren Posts: 11
    I think I'm going to make several of these ahead of time and put them in the fridge for breakfast when I get back from my trip with the 4th graders-- brilliant! I tried my own with fake sausage and egg beaters and 505 green chile, but it was not delicious.

But try some hot 505 green chile in them. I bet that'd be delicious (and 505 is pretty low-cal and definitely low-fat).