Yoga Mats VS Exercise Mats?

Is there much of a difference between the two? Should I be making sure to use a thicker mat when doing ab work? And how much should I really worry about spending on one? I've seen many VARIED prices...wondering if it's a "you get what you pay for item" or if I would be fine going to my local Walmart and purchasing a more economical version. Thanks!!:tongue:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    The Yoga mats get a little sticky when they're wet, so you don't slide off them when you get sweaty (as one tends to do yoga barefoot). They also are easier to store beause they're thinner.

Anything that I need padding for, I just do on a carpeted surface.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    eh, get one from walmart/target...unless you're doing tons of yoga and need the extra grip or you have hard floors, its basically to add a little extra cushion and, for me at least, to make sure i'm not getting my gross sweat all over the carpet.

Also, if you go to the store and get one, its instant gratification and you can pick from all the pretty colors and designs! :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    lol yay! I love all the pretty colors! hahaha:laugh: I will be using it on a hard floor surface, so no carpet cushioning for me.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    I have a big, thick, cooshy mat but I have hardwood floors and the old bones can't take it on the thin ones. :) If I had carpeting I would probably be fine with a thinner one. Doing plyometrics on hardwood is hard for my body parts so I use the cooshy mat for that too. BTW, my spell checker hates the word "cooshy". :tongue:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I use my yoga mat frequently, both in yoga and for exercise class. It appears to be sufficient, though I also have a very large towel that I use as a yoga blanket, so that's an option for padding (I've not needed it except as a bolster in yoga.)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    My advice is if you're going to be using a mat for both yoga and and exercise where you're using shoes get both. Depending on how deep your yoga practice gets, you may begin to view your mat as more sacred than something you want to be jazzercizing on. Besides that if it's a yoga mat you wont get as much life out of it if you're stomping all over it.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    I have a big, thick, cooshy mat but I have hardwood floors and the old bones can't take it on the thin ones. :) If I had carpeting I would probably be fine with a thinner one. Doing plyometrics on hardwood is hard for my body parts so I use the cooshy mat for that too. BTW, my spell checker hates the word "cooshy". :tongue:

Hahaha I love the word "cooshy" lolll:happy:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    one thing to keep in mind about exercise mats is that often they are somewhat stretchy. they don't work well for yoga or push ups or things like that because they are made for cushioning and not things that require pushing in opposite directions at the same time or they move. Yoga and exercise mats are not really interchangeable. A yoga mat could work for abs etc just to somewhat avoid the spine vs the hardwood floor issue but I'd recommend an actual exercise mat if you are not working out on carpet. An exercise mat generally won't work well as a yoga mat though - unless you get into the much pricier mats. I have a yoga mat and an exercise mat (I like it for abs and also when I did plyometrics barefoot - since I hate shoes!). Both from WalMart (or maybe the yoga mat is from Marshalls?). Each $10 or less.
  • I would say it depends on what you're wanting to do. If you're wanting to do Yoga, use a Yoga mat.
    I have both Yoga and exercise mats, I do everything but Yoga on the exercise mats as I have hard wood floors and the Yoga mats really don't have any cushion.
    For ab work-outs, I tried just a Yoga mat and it just wasn't enough cushion for my bum. I know, we all want to spend as little as possible...but look at it more as inspiration. We're far less likely to give up on something we've invested in.
  • EricPogamat
    EricPogamat Posts: 7 Member
    I found a mat that is durable and oversize so you can do all types of workouts. pogamat.com
  • Looks good but well pricey... The pogamat strap is more expensive than the Kamachi mat I bought, and that came with a strap! Must say though, that on a tiled floor, the yoga mat is a bit thin for me, but I'm getting old and need some extra cushioning... Not going to pay that much though will look for a cheaper alternative such as HemingWeigh
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    I like the thicker folding mats, especially for anything that puts my spine in contact with the floor. Also remember that (if all goes as planned) your backside will be somewhat less padded in the future, and you may want a thicker mat by then. I don't see the one that I own listed on Amazon any more, but it is the Apollo brand of folding mat... not the cheapest but durable and relatively comfortable.
    I found a mat that is durable and oversize so you can do all types of workouts. pogamat.com

Hmm. EricPogamat has mentioned Pogamat in 5 out of his 7 posts. Coincidence?
    BTW, my spell checker hates the word "cooshy".

Try "cushy". :smile:
  • DeafGirl1993
    DeafGirl1993 Posts: 1 Member
    I have both. I got my workout mat on sale at Walmart and my yoga mat on sale at Kmart. I like my yoga mat more than I do my workout mat. Just because of the thickness. I use my yoga mat with or without socks but never with shoes unless they have Never been used outside. I never have a problem with sliding off or mat getting wet from sweating. I use my yours mat for both yoga and my at home workouts. I have used it on a carpet floor and a hard floor, never had any issues.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Cooshy cooshy cooshy!!!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I just bought a new workout mat: 15mm thick, 100x180cm (Taurus xxl 15) It’s the same as I had before, which lasted me about 8 years. Ok, it’s expensive at around 66 Euro but i have lots of pointy bones and sensitive tissue. And having one knee on this mat is unpleasant. On s yogamat... I don’t want to know!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I have both. My yoga mats are all the same size, they are thin, have a ribbed surface and they roll up.

My exercise mat is wider, much thicker, has a flat surface and it folds.

I use my exercise more because my hip bones poke out so it's more comfortable. But it's more easier and quicker for me to pull out the yoga mats.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I got one of these Acumobility mats. I do a lot of stretching/mobility work on the floor. Non-slip extra cushioning and protects the carpet.

https://acumobility.com/products/acumobility-exercise-mobility-mat
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I bought a thin, cheap yoga mat many years ago. It was a starting place. I have had exercise mats, stability balls, bands, etc. All kinds of things have come and gone. But I still have and use the old thin, cheap yoga mat. I say start there.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I have a cheap thin yoga mat and just bought a manduka pro. There is a huge difference in the density of the cushion.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I have an extra thin sticky manduka yoga mat that packs up super small as well as an extra long extra wide yoga mat from another brand that is regular thickness. I like both and use them for yoga (primarily ashtanga).

I usually keep a cheap IKEA blanket next to my yoga stuf and gold that up for extra padding when needed. I have hardwood floors.

I wouldn’t mind doing other floor exercises on my regular thickness yoga mat. I don’t do any type of workout where I’d consider using shoes on my yoga mat or inside my home at all.