Counting "Steps" On The Bike

Options
LJCannon
LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
I am sure that this question has been addressed before, but I can't seem to find it.
I have been trying to reach at least 10,000 steps every day and succeeding most of the time. I recently decided to add a Bike ride 3 times a week to my schedule. However that makes getting 10,000 steps in every day a real problem, timewise.
Do any of you convert your miles on the Bike to "Steps"? If so, how do you figure it?

:flowerforyou: Thanks!!

Replies

• MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing a pedometer for over 5 years now, and have never found an easy solution to this question. I usually move my pedometer to my calf or thigh when biking, so it at least counts something.....
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just did a search to see if I could find the answer to this. This is what I found (hope you like math):

How to Convert Exercise Bike Miles to Steps at http://www.ehow.com/how_6081289_convert-exercise-bike-miles-steps.html

# 1 Record the calories burned or miles biked as listed on your exercise machine after you've completed your workout. You will use that information, along with the following conversions, to calculate your steps: One mile equals approximately 100 calories; 100 calories equals approximately 2,000 steps.

# 2 Use the following formulas and a calculator to figure your approximate steps:
    Number of miles times 2,000 equals your number of approximate steps.
    Or
    Number of calories divided by 100 times 2,000 equals your number of approximate steps.

# 3 Use the following process to determine your true number of steps. Start by using masking tape and a tape measure to mark the start and end point of a 30-foot straight line.

# 4 Begin walking a couple of feet before the starting point so you can get into your normal walking stride. Count the number of steps you take until you reach the end. Write this number down.

# 5 Calculate how many steps you would take to walk a mile by using the following formula: Number of steps you took in 30 feet times 176 equals the number of steps you would walk in a mile. (30 times 176 equals 5,280, the number of feet in a mile.) You can then use your answer to calculate how many steps you've taken when using your exercise bike or stair climber with this formula: Number of miles biked or climbed times the number of steps you walk in a mile equals the exact number of steps you've walked.

OR:

How to Convert Exercise Bike Miles to Steps at http://www.livestrong.com/article/187672-how-to-convert-exercise-bike-miles-to-steps/

Step 1

Stand square with your feet hip-width apart. Place a 12-inch piece of tape just in front of your toes. Take 10 normal steps forward, then place your feet together and put another piece of tape down in front of your toes.

Step 2

Measure between the two pieces of tape and divide by 10 to get your average stride length. So if you walked 25 feet between the tape pieces, your average stride length is 25 / 10 = 2.5 feet.

Step 3

Write down how many miles you've cycled. Multiply this number by 5,280 to convert it to how many feet you've cycled. So if you cycled four miles today, your calculation is 4 * 5,280 = 21,120 feet cycled.

Step 4

Divide the number of feet cycled by your average stride length, or feet per step. To conclude the example, you have 21,120 feet cycled / 2.5 feet average stride length = 8,448 steps taken to cover the same amount of distance you cycled
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was on the same type of challenge and was riding my stationary bike. I clipped my pedometer to my sock. It actually did an amazingly accurate job of converting a pedal movement to a step.