MFP Cycle Gang--11/10/08

Somehow, I neglected to start our thread on Monday--my bad!

Anyway--I got in 21 miles on Monday and then snuck in 28 miles this morning before the rains came again.

Anyone able to get out in the "nice" late fall weather to ride?

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Somehow, I neglected to start our thread on Monday--my bad!

Anyway--I got in 21 miles on Monday and then snuck in 28 miles this morning before the rains came again.

Anyone able to get out in the "nice" late fall weather to ride?
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Can't match your miles but I managed to fit in 15 of them today; its been a lovely mild November day in Scotland and I hope to fit in a few more miles before the frost and snow. :happy:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Four of us did 19.6 miles on Tuesday. First time since Sept. that I've ridden in some sunlight!
  • shorerider
    62a82059.gif

Glad to see others are still able to get out and pedal a bit!

Nannascot--good to see you back! Hope all is going well.

jadaigle--got any Triathlons planned for next year yet? I'm thinking of taking swim lessons at the Y over the winter and learning how to jog as well and maybe do my own Tri next year.
  • jadaigle
    Yep:

Columbia May 17
    Eagleman (in Cambridge) 70.3 in June 14
    New York City Triathlon July 26
    Perhaps Irongirl in August.

My brother had me talked into a full Ironman in August, but he decided not to do it so that's out for me, too.
  • shorerider
    Yep:

Columbia May 17
    Eagleman (in Cambridge) 70.3 in June 14
    New York City Triathlon July 26
    Perhaps Irongirl in August.

My brother had me talked into a full Ironman in August, but he decided not to do it so that's out for me, too.

Wow! hey, there was a great article in the Washington Post the other day about some 14 yr old boy who does Ironmen competitions! 14 YEARS OLD AND DOES IRONMEN! I'll try to find the link.

Found it!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/11/09/ST2008110902085.html
  • shorerider
    Oh, and my rides this week put me over the 2K mark for the year! Since May 1 when I started tracking, I've cycled 2,043 miles!
  • jadaigle
    2008 biking total (from February): 2347

I don't know how many of those are bike trainer miles, but I would say at least 2/3 if not more are outside miles.

I did see the article about the 14 year old who did Chesapeake man. I read about him last year, too. Amazing.
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    I took last week off. I hope to get some miles in this week though.
  • jadaigle
    It's a new week and I was going to bail on my ride today but then I talked to my 72-year-old riding partner who is planning on driving across the Bay Bridge just to get in a few miles with hills. So, even though it's only about 43 degrees out, he shamed me into it. I love having a biking partner!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    I have fallen off the bandwagon! It has been cold here and I have had sick kids and the combo just makes for no riding. I was planning on going today but I have a sick little one at home...maybe Weds I can go.
  • shorerider
    30 degrees here this morning with possible snow tonight--I went to the gym. Did 60 mins of circuit training and 30 minutes on the video screen bike using a hill program called "Mad Goat Mountain" or something like that. I was even standing up at times pedaling on that program!
  • jadaigle
    Bob and I did 17.2 miles. It got to about 52 degrees and I was fine while we were moving but every time we stopped to decide which way to go next, I got cold. I'm hoping and I can continue to get outside once a week until Christmas. We shall see.....
  • shorerider
    Glad to hear some are braving the chill and still riding!
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    The church I attend has a ladies fitness group (AKA: Dump the Plump) that participates in a monthly
    "challenge". This month's challenge is a 10 mile bike ride coming up on Saturday (11/22). Granted, most of these ladies are not cyclist, but I'm thinking 20+ miles would be a challenge. Maybe the real challenge for most of the ladies will be 1) being at the starting point at 8:00 am 2) braving the chill and 3) remembering how to ride a bike! :laugh: