Very off topic problem

kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
Hi,
As many of you know, I am getting married next summer. We live out of the province we are wedding in and so we planned a lot of things early. We booked a DJ that we loved in person last August. Since then we have been trying to get him to send us a copy of our contract by mail (which he said from the beginning he would do). We're upset because he keeps saying it's been sent and he gives me tracking numbers which aren't recognized by Canada post. I finally told him just to send it to my mom's house- she's in the same town as him so it's local mail. Well he said he would send it about a month ago but she never received it. We're just completely done with him. We were waiting to receive our copy of the contract before paying the deposit so we have given him NO money as of yet. We have just decided that he is not reliable and we cannot put trust in him for something so important. My question is can we back out of this contract or what? I don't even have a copy, and he wont return my emails or calls anymore? Should I just email him to say forget it and go with someone else? Does the fact that we havn't given a deposit mean the contract is void anyway?

Someone??
:flowerforyou: thanks

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Hi,
    As many of you know, I am getting married next summer. We live out of the province we are wedding in and so we planned a lot of things early. We booked a DJ that we loved in person last August. Since then we have been trying to get him to send us a copy of our contract by mail (which he said from the beginning he would do). We're upset because he keeps saying it's been sent and he gives me tracking numbers which aren't recognized by Canada post. I finally told him just to send it to my mom's house- she's in the same town as him so it's local mail. Well he said he would send it about a month ago but she never received it. We're just completely done with him. We were waiting to receive our copy of the contract before paying the deposit so we have given him NO money as of yet. We have just decided that he is not reliable and we cannot put trust in him for something so important. My question is can we back out of this contract or what? I don't even have a copy, and he wont return my emails or calls anymore? Should I just email him to say forget it and go with someone else? Does the fact that we havn't given a deposit mean the contract is void anyway?

Someone??
    :flowerforyou: thanks
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I would tell him to kiss off.....well...put nicer.

Worst case he'll try to sue you, but if you kept all these emails saying that it was sent, etc.
    I would think that is a strong case against him.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member

I agree with Bunny!

BTW - did you sign the contract?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    I second that Kerri, you have NO obligation to this guy and there's nothing he can do. Don't allow anyone unreliable to stress you out with your big day. There are LOTS of DJs out there and many are wonderful, reliable people!! Just tell him that because you have been unable to view a contract or receive consistent information or communication you have decided to go with another person. No fluff, just fact, don't stress and move on :flowerforyou:
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    I wouldn't contact him anymore...there's a lot of water to flow under the bridge before your wedding and he would need to know the plan before showing up ( I would think) Just write everything down including your phone calls and what was said and time it occured. You should be fine!
  • kerrilucko

I agree with Bunny!

We did sign a contract back in August. He was going to copy it and mail our copy to us.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    I totally agree with Bunny too, make sure that you keep a good record of all of the times that you have contacted him and the emails and the tracking numbers so if he tries to come back on you for breaking the contract you have the proof. I would probably look for another DJ I would be scared that he would just take the money and not show up to your wedding.

Did you sign anything saying that you would give him money? I hope that you didn't sign anything then you can break it with telling where to kiss it.....

Good Luck keep us posted!!!!!

Molly:heart:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member

I agree with Bunny!

We did sign a contract back in August. He was going to copy it and mail our copy to us.

Ohhh, ok - well I'm no lawyer, but DH is in his 2nd year of law school and I've been up to my ears in contracts and torts - blech! So, let me just put this out there - since you signed the contract, technically, that is a binding document - however, this guy has failed to live up to his terms of the agreement. What I would do - just to foolproof your case in case this wacko decides to take legal action - is to send him a certified letter specifically stating that unless a copy of the contract is mailed to your house by (fill in the date) by (fill in the time), you will consider the contract breached and null.

From the way he's behaved so far - I doubt there will be any response and you'll be free and clear.
  • I agree wiht all of the above, he's unreliable.

If you need another good phtographer and are looking in Alberta I could help you...my sister and I both wed (or are weding) in alberta :)
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member

I agree with Bunny!

Ohhh, ok - well I'm no lawyer, but DH is in his 2nd year of law school and I've been up to my ears in contracts and torts - blech! So, let me just put this out there - since you signed the contract, technically, that is a binding document - however, this guy has failed to live up to his terms of the agreement. What I would do - just to foolproof your case in case this wacko decides to take legal action - is to send him a certified letter specifically stating that unless a copy of the contract is mailed to your house by (fill in the date) by (fill in the time), you will consider the contract breached and null.

From the way he's behaved so far - I doubt there will be any response and you'll be free and clear.

Ohhhh I like how you think!
  • kerrilucko

I agree with Bunny!

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't have him mailing address, only his email and his phone number... ugh, this sucks. Maybe I will email him and explain everything to him and see what he says. Maybe he wants out of the contract too. I don't know. I would think at most we would have to pay the deposit amount, which was only around 100$
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    THANK GOD YOU ARE GETTING RID OF HIM BEFORE YOU PAYED HIM AND HE DOES NOT SHOW UP AT THE WEDDING. HE IS NOT RELIABLE SO TELL HIM GOODBYE. PLANNING A WEDDING IS STRESSFUL ENOUGH!

ALISHA
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    i'd keep a log of every time you've attempted to contact him to cover your tush(as far as legal stuff, i guess), but i wouldn't continue to make any contact with him. don't call or email and in the mean time, get someone else. if he actually happens to contact you, tell him you went with someone else because it was obvious from the one sided communication that he didn't want to dj your wedding:tongue:

oh and the problem w/ the person's response bout sending him a certified letter saying if he doesn't send you a copy by a certain date, is what happens if he does actually send you the contract then? even if he does send you a contract, i'd be scared that it's all the work you're going to get out of this jerk! if you want to send him certified anything, i'd send certified "your services will no longer be needed":tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    Thanks guys,

I have written him a very polite and honest email explaining our situation and feelings to him. In it I let him know that we are no longer comfortable using his services. If he comes at me with legal ramifications so be it, I don't want him at our wedding and if I have to pay him not to come then I guess that's what I have to do. :flowerforyou: Thanks again all!
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Here in the States we can use the white pages online to do a "reverse lookup"..to find an address by using the phone number. I don't know if you have this kind of service, but it might help if you decide to send the certified letter...or a some other special "gift"---dead fish, perhaps?:devil:
  • kerrilucko
    Sounds like a good idea, but I don't have him mailing address, only his email and his phone number... ugh, this sucks. Maybe I will email him and explain everything to him and see what he says. Maybe he wants out of the contract too. I don't know. I would think at most we would have to pay the deposit amount, which was only around 100$

Here in the States we can use the white pages online to do a "reverse lookup"..to find an address by using the phone number. I don't know if you have this kind of service, but it might help if you decide to send the certified letter...or a some other special "gift"---dead fish, perhaps?:devil:
    [/quote]

haha well I am trying to get out of this without a big uproar. I just want to go separate ways, and I have found 2 other DJs that I plan to call this week and set up meetings with. We will see how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.