reading suggestions?

LightenUp_Caro
LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
I'm just curious as to what books y'all have been reading lately!

I'm going home for Thanksgiving for a week (I NEED A BREAK FROM SCHOOL SO BADLY!!) and I want to get my little brain off of school and dive head first into a book.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    I'm just curious as to what books y'all have been reading lately!

I'm going home for Thanksgiving for a week (I NEED A BREAK FROM SCHOOL SO BADLY!!) and I want to get my little brain off of school and dive head first into a book.

Any suggestions?
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    I couldn't put down the Time-Travelers Wife. It's not all sci-fi like it sounds and is a beautiful love story.
    If you don't mind reading teenage books, I read the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I loved it. (The movie is coming out Friday - yes, it's a vampire love story.) The first book is Twilight.
    I've been reading too much nonfiction lately, so these have really been fun to read.
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Depending on what you like, I read Nicholas Sparks, alot of fitness mags, James Patterson that is just a few, My mom and sister read alot and I just can't get into unless I look at the book and it sticks to me. Sorry not much help

Molly
  • I couldn't put down the Time-Travelers Wife. It's not all sci-fi like it sounds and is a beautiful love story.
    If you don't mind reading teenage books, I read the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I'm embarrassed to tell you how much I loved it. (The movie is coming out Friday - yes, it's a vampire love story.) The first book is Twilight.
    I've been reading too much nonfiction lately, so these have really been fun to read.

i read the twilight series last winter in about a week and then finished breaking dawn in a day and half ;x and im going to the midnight premiere HAHAHA I'm obsessed... so its ok im with you on that
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Well I've been reading James Galbraith's new book called "The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too". It's a great book about the market economy and it's failure in the US, but you probably don't want to read anything too school like. I suggest "100 years of solitude". Its amazing!:smokin:
  • jukramer
    jukramer Posts: 39 Member
    I couldn't put down the Time-Travelers Wife. It's not all sci-fi like it sounds and is a beautiful love story.

i read the twilight series last winter in about a week and then finished breaking dawn in a day and half ;x and im going to the midnight premiere HAHAHA I'm obsessed... so its ok im with you on that

I'm going Friday afternoon. Didn't think I could get up with the babe after going to a midnight show. I was afraid I was the oldest lover of this series (I'm 32), but a 50-something at the gym yesterday saaw me with it, and said, "Well, what do you think?" I guess vampire love stories are for all ages. :smile:

Oh, and I got hooked and read the entire series in 5 days. I was sick in bed, and I had someone watching my daughter most of the time that week. Couldn't put it down.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    last 5 books i have read,

1. - THE BEAN TREES by Barbara Kingsolver (very good, 1st ive read by this author)
    2. - THERAPY by Sebastian Fitzek (psychology based thriller type, loved it!)
    3. - SLAM by Nick Horby (story of a teenage father, very funny and heartfelt - british fiction)
    4. - SLEEP WITH ME by Joanna Briscoe (very good also)
    5. - CLOTH GIRL by Marilyn Heward Mills (loved this, my recommendation!!)

i am a member of www.bookmooch.com so i can get my books for free, its like a book swapping site

happy reading :flowerforyou:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member

Someone on one of these threads suggested reading the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris if you liked Twilight. I took the advice and started reading this series last week and am already on the 3rd book. A lot like Twilight but more...grown up. Definitely worth checking out!
  • the last two books i read were both by chelsea handler. her first book is called "my horizontal life" and her second one is called "are you there vodka, its me, chelsea"

they are both hilarious. i read the first one on a plane and was literally laughing out loud.
  • chelle1717
    chelle1717 Posts: 30 Member
    I just bought Wally Lamb's new book, The Hour I First Believed. It's amazingly well-written (not to my surprise, since Wally Lamb is one of the most emotionally-charged and intuitive writers I've ever read), but depressing. The depressing part is unavoidable, since it centers around the Columbine Massacre of 1999. I'm only about a fourth of the way through, but can't put it down. Another book by him, She's Come Undone, is also fantastic. Not a bit lighthearted, but there are parts that will make you laugh out loud; there are also parts that will make you cry.

Also, anything by John Irving, Christopher Moore (HILARIOUS author!), Richard Matheson, and Robert McCammon will be a good read, depending on your tastes. Happy reading!
  • I couldn't put down the Time-Travelers Wife. It's not all sci-fi like it sounds and is a beautiful love story.

i started that and couldnt get into it... now i wish i had... i sold it at a book swap:(

I have read:
    Vanishing Acts by Jodie Picoult
    Family Tree
    Glass Castles
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Depending on what you like, I read Nicholas Sparks, alot of fitness mags, James Patterson that is just a few, My mom and sister read alot and I just can't get into unless I look at the book and it sticks to me. Sorry not much help

Molly
    Have you read The Lucky One by Nichola Sparks yet? I was wondering if you like it. I am waiting to find it in paperback. I

Memaw
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    I just bought Wally Lamb's new book, The Hour I First Believed. It's amazingly well-written (not to my surprise, since Wally Lamb is one of the most emotionally-charged and intuitive writers I've ever read), but depressing. The depressing part is unavoidable, since it centers around the Columbine Massacre of 1999. I'm only about a fourth of the way through, but can't put it down. Another book by him, She's Come Undone, is also fantastic. Not a bit lighthearted, but there are parts that will make you laugh out loud; there are also parts that will make you cry.

Also, anything by John Irving, Christopher Moore (HILARIOUS author!), Richard Matheson, and Robert McCammon will be a good read, depending on your tastes. Happy reading!

I'm SO jealous you are reading this already! I think I need a trip to the bookstore STAT!

The other Wally Lamb book I Know This Much Is True is simply awesome. He's an amazing, amazing author.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    a book called white. I forget the author right now but it is about a man who was a special forces op in iraq for the US and somehow becomes a double agent and infiltartes secrets to the iraqi terrorists...
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Lol I finished the Twilight series in a weekend - I didn't get much sleep :blushing: I hate romance novels too so don't worry, there's enough action and suspense for those of us who aren't romance geeks. The third book does get frustrating at times though, just to warn you in advance. I wanted to punch Jacob pretty much through the whole thing.

If you're looking for more pure fantasy books, David Eddings writes good stuff - I do prefer the Malloreon to the Belgariad though. And if you like crime/suspense novels, Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels are the best.

Yeah in case you couldn't tell, I'm totally addicted to books . . . good luck with your search! :flowerforyou:
  • I just finished "Everyone Worth Knowing" by Lauren Weisberger (author of The Devil Wears Prada). I finished it in 2 days. Great read if you just want something light! "Cocktails For Three" by Madeline Wickham was good as well.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    I just finished reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's a long book...some parts that are sad and depressing, but worth it in the end. These are kind of older so I don't know if you've read them yet or not, but I also enjoyed reading series books like The Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass and (of course) Harry Potter. I really want to read the Twilight series, but just haven't gotten arond to buying the books yet.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    James Patterson's "The Women's Murder Club" series are really good.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    New ones that I'm waiting to read that will surely be good are Your heart belongs to me by Dean Koontz, Cross Crountry by James Patterson(Alex cross series), The pagan stone by Nora Roberts part of the Sign of seven trilogy, Belva Plain also has a new one out (forget the name of it:embarassed: ). Ones that I have read recently that were good, books 1-4 in the left behind series, The ruins (the movie sucked though), The road by Cormac Mccarthy. When I remember what else I've read lately, I'll be back with more lol!!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    I like anything by Sandra Brown or Mary Higgins Clark.
This discussion has been closed.