Lighting your fireplace

arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
Ok. So you thought it was a metaphor for eating breakfast or something, but it truly is about lighting a fireplace!!

Why in the world would anyone want to light a fire when it is 69 degrees out? I live in Florida and this amazes me every year.

I love the smell though, it reminds me of Christmas up in Tennessee. Snow on the ground, wood burning stoves sending plumes in the air. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What is your favorite smell? One that evokes a memory so strong you can feel it?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Ok. So you thought it was a metaphor for eating breakfast or something, but it truly is about lighting a fireplace!!

Why in the world would anyone want to light a fire when it is 69 degrees out? I live in Florida and this amazes me every year.

I love the smell though, it reminds me of Christmas up in Tennessee. Snow on the ground, wood burning stoves sending plumes in the air. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

What is your favorite smell? One that evokes a memory so strong you can feel it?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Honestly I can't explain it but whenever I go back home and I get close to the south I go to get out of the vehicle or out of the airport for the first time and it's just a certain smell...it's HOME
  • 69 degrees! So cold, it's 82% out here in CALI
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    I love the smell of vanilla extract, not the vanilla flavored lotions and candles out there. Yes there IS a difference....my mother used to use it in all sorts of things that were very yummy. Actually, my hand mixer smells like vanilla extract and so did my mother's. That's why I love it!
  • I think my sense of smell has the strongest ties with my memory. I LOVE Bath and Body Works Spiced Pumpkin shower gel. I used it 8 years ago during a 4 week stint in Ireland for school, and everytime fall gets here, I rush out to buy a bottle and am transported back to my favorite place on Earth.
  • bugmagnt
    bugmagnt Posts: 150
    Homemade baked goods from my grandma and mom.... actually, i got the baking bug from them, too, but there is just somthing about the smell of sweet bread/rolls or kolaches or something of the sort....
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    I think my sense of smell has the strongest ties with my memory. I LOVE Bath and Body Works Spiced Pumpkin shower gel. I used it 8 years ago during a 4 week stint in Ireland for school, and everytime fall gets here, I rush out to buy a bottle and am transported back to my favorite place on Earth.

I totally understand! When I was in Scotland for a year I loved the fresh smell of fresh cut grass and rain ... sometimes when it rains here I catch that smell and I remember my favorite place on earth! :heart:
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I love the smell of freash bread/rolls baking. yummy. It brings me back too. Or when I smell Lefsa. My mom makes it every year since I was a baby. When I go home and smell it I do my peace offering to get in the kitchen to get some. Now this year my mom taught me how to make it. Now my kids can have those memories. :bigsmile:

Now what is up with fireplaces in florida. I don't understand this. :noway: I live in Minnesota so you know people have them on since its getting kinda cold. BUrrr. How cold is it in Florida?? Im sure everyone from minnesota would be wearing shorts. :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Aqua Velva after shave. When I was a kid I loved the way my dad smelled right after he had shaved and put on Aqua Velva after shave. Everything was right with the world. :bigsmile:
  • j_g4ever
    Aqua Velva after shave. When I was a kid I loved the way my dad smelled right after he had shaved and put on Aqua Velva after shave. Everything was right with the world. :bigsmile:

Old Spice is what my dad used. He use to put some in hand pat his cheeks and then pat it on our cheeks :happy:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    We have a real fireplace in our dining room (it used to be our living room before the addition went on). And we put in a gas fireplace in our new living room. There's something to be said about a real fire, but I really love the fact that I can just flip a switch and whoooosh the fire comes on. In 15 minutes the room is all toasty and warm. LOL The cat hears the fireplace turn on, and comes running. It's his new favorite place to lay, right in front of it.

And, you don't have to chop wood up in the subzero temps!
  • mizzymiz

Old Spice is what my dad used. He use to put some in hand pat his cheeks and then pat it on our cheeks :happy:

Oh! My dad used to do that too! And take the blade out of his razor and let me 'shave'.... :smooched:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member

Oh! My dad used to do that too! And take the blade out of his razor and let me 'shave'.... :smooched:

Ditto. My younger sis still has a scar on her face from when she tried to shave and the blade was sill in the razor. OOOPS!
  • mizzymiz

Ditto. My younger sis still has a scar on her face from when she tried to shave and the blade was sill in the razor. OOOPS!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Opps is right! Oh man, that's too funny! Well...not funny, but you know what I mean. :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Oh I am so happy I posted this. Your memories are making me warm and fuzzy.

:flowerforyou:
  • j_g4ever

Im glad that you posted this. Im going to go let my dog outside into the cold weather and then smell the cold air but with that will come the smell of people burning their wood stove. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet

Im glad that you posted this. Im going to go let my dog outside into the cold weather and then smell the cold air but with that will come the smell of people burning their wood stove. :flowerforyou:

Awwwww I really love that smell! Have a good day J!
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    I'm with ya, AWTY...I love to smell a wood burning fireplace. It takes me back to my grandparents when I was little. There was a fireplace in the bedroom we slept in and we would go to sleep watching the embers burn and listening to the popping and cracking. :smile: Thanks for the memories!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Well, let's see, the smell of pine trees and Snickerdoodles means that it's Christmas.

But I have a slightly different and warped story for ya, muyhahahaha....:devil: We used to have a Lab/Goldie mix, that was a champ at hunting! She, in particular, enjoyed hunting down the deer gut piles :sick: that we would hide about a half mile (or better) away from the house. Inevitably, she would find the pile, roll in it, and eat until her stomach was bulging! :noway: Then for the next week, she would stink to high heaven, and have the most grotesque farts in the world!:grumble: :cry:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    69 degrees! So cold, it's 82% out here in CALI

:angry:

it's cold here :angry:
This discussion has been closed.