It's snowing!

shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
This is crazy! We're getting snow flurries here--it won't stick or anything but we're still over a week before T-Day, and it's snowing in VA! I can't remember seeing snow before this early. And, Saturday, it was 72 degrees and I was wearing shorts :noway:

Replies

• shorerider
    This is crazy! We're getting snow flurries here--it won't stick or anything but we're still over a week before T-Day, and it's snowing in VA! I can't remember seeing snow before this early. And, Saturday, it was 72 degrees and I was wearing shorts :noway:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member

HAHA! We had 2 ft of snow the first part of OCT here. We usually don't get any until after the New Year!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    We got about a foot, about like normal. I just burned 1200+ cal shoveling it off the driveway and porch, hehehe... :drinker:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    It snowed and melted( by that I mean cars packed it down) and snowed all day and I literally slid down a hill in my ford explorer which has studded tires. It was just like skating only bulky style lol. Actually was pretty scary, and I don't look forward to my drive in the bus tomorrow!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I can't wait till we get our first big snow storm. :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    :grumble: Yea I know...it was snowing here in Blacksburg earlier today...bleehhhh I hate snow.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    We've had flurries off and on all day, but it's just starting to stick.....I hate winter lol!!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    it moved from the west mountain ranges. We had points today when it looked like a blizzard. It snowed here about a 1/2 inch. Some areas got HIT HARD like the eirie region. I am ECSTATIC. Its enough of the 70 degree weather in mid november!!!!! I cranked on my 4 wheel drive to get up the mountaious hill that I live on. I already saw a few people slid a bit and This was at 6 am. I also JUST missed getting in a horrible bout of traffic and rerouting because of a busted water main en route to work...
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    I can't wait till we get our first big snow storm. :flowerforyou:
    OK Im not the only one who loves it!!!!
  • We've already had our first blizzard here in South Dakota. :ohwell:
  • jamerz3294
    We've already had our first blizzard here in South Dakota. :ohwell:

Yeah, you guys got hammered! We just have Lake Effect snow here, but it's still treacherous and slimy on the roads.

• Yeah, you guys got hammered! We just have Lake Effect snow here, but it's still treacherous and slimy on the roads.

Hammered is right! Being from the South, I'd never seen anything like it.

Oh yeah, what exactly is lake effect snow? I've heard that term quite a few times before and always wondered what it was. I suppose I could've looked it up, but hey, I'm lazy! :laugh:
  • Oh my dear!! :laugh: You are sooooooooooooooo lucky!!! I live in sunny Phoenix :cry: not fun.............
    Alison
  • shorerider

Yeah, you guys got hammered! We just have Lake Effect snow here, but it's still treacherous and slimy on the roads.

Oh yeah, what exactly is lake effect snow? I've heard that term quite a few times before and always wondered what it was. I suppose I could've looked it up, but hey, I'm lazy! :laugh:

It's where cold wind blowing across water in cold temperatures brings snow. we're actually getting the same type flurries here because it's so freaking windy today--gusts to 47mph right now with steady winds of 27-30mph coming off the Chesapeake Bay.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member

It's where cold wind blowing across water in cold temperatures brings snow. we're actually getting the same type flurries here because it's so freaking windy today--gusts to 47mph right now with steady winds of 27-30mph coming off the Chesapeake Bay.

Had them here in the Richmond area too today...and calling for more this week according to the weatherman
  • It's where cold wind blowing across water in cold temperatures brings snow. we're actually getting the same type flurries here because it's so freaking windy today--gusts to 47mph right now with steady winds of 27-30mph coming off the Chesapeake Bay.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation! :smile:
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Im waiting for the snow too! I use to live in sunny florida so my whole life never seen snow. I moved to greece to the mountains. The use to get alot of snow but for some reason the last 5 years the weather has changed. Last year was my first winter here and when it snowed for the first and only time i had my faced glued to the window like a kid at christmas.! I want a SNOW STORM just once ya know. :smile:
  • jamerz3294
    Yeah, whenever you have Lake Effect snow, you have to rememebr that ALSO means it's windy! So you have a mini blizzard for a week or so. All the same fun as a blizzard, but confined to a smaller area. We're still in the middle of our snow "event". :drinker: So, toss another log on the fire ma, and cuddle up..... Snow can be very romantic.....
  • jamerz3294
    ...and it's STILL snowing, cold and quite windy here! Aye yup, it's a blizzard and fit for neither man nor beast outside! Hey LovelyLAdy, we still aren't even close to getting thawed out over here yet! :tongue:
    1978_Blizzard_01b.jpg
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    It's cold down here right now but I think it's supposed to get up in the high 50's today and then back down to 30-40's tomorrow but back up in high 50's and 60's next week. I'm from OH but I've spent the last 4 years away. Florida for 2 winters and SC for last winter and this one. We're getting spoiled:laugh: It snowed last year. We got like 2 inches and they closed the whole city down :noway: :laugh: Darn southerners :tongue: :laugh: I like the seasons here. You get all four seasons but winter is much much shorter than in OH. Florida was awesome I think there were maybe 2-3 days a year where it got down to 50 degrees as a high. It was cold at night...and it was like a wet cold so it made it feel colder than it would have felt if it was the same temp in OH. But the year before we moved down to FL I used to live in a very small town between Toledo, OH and Sandusky, OH and I worked in New Boston, MI at our terminal up there. It was an hour and half drive on a sunny day. Wellllll.....I worked 4pm to 2am and one night we got a blizzard that hit at like 10pm. Early enough for it to get really bad by the time it was time to go home. My windshield wipers were bad so everything was freezing to my windshield. I went 20 mph with my hazzard lights on until I got to a Walmart. I bought some wipers and I tried to put em on. But I couldn't I thought I would have to sleep in Walmart parking lot:sad: :sad: :laugh: I offered some guy $20 to change em for me. He changed the driver's side and told me not to pay him. Anywho....4 1/2 hours later, I made it home. It was a looooong ride. I tried to get a motel but the one I stopped at was closed. It was actually at a level 3 or 4 or whatever the highest is and it was illegal to be on the roads. I hit the last road toward home and I couldn't tell what was the road, what was the ditch, and what was the field (lots of corn fields out there...but umm no corn growing in the winter :laugh: ) I see a tow truck, two state troopers and a car in the ditch on each side......WOW! That was the toughest road through the whole trip. I got within 5 minutes of my house and I saw an SUV in the ditch and a HUGE snow drift and cars lined up on the other side not wanting to try to go thru. I said #$%#$ this I'm goin. I floored it and got thru the drift....Snow totally covered my entire windshield as I went through it. But I made it. I look back and all those lined up cars started going through using my tracks to drive over:drinker: :laugh: It was crazy.....Not long after that, I made the decision to move to FL:drinker: :laugh: :bigsmile: :wink:

Wellllll.......Now I may as well enjoy my last winter here in the south cuz ummmmm we wanna move back to OH within a year :drinker:

That is all.....hope you enjoyed the novel :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.