breakouts

Options
HealthyKt78
HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
The two physical things I've always like about myself were my hair and my skin. I never really had acne except for the occasional pimple on my chin. I never even had to really wash my face. I mean I did in the shower but additional products were never necessary. Now since I've started college I breakout all the time. I'm even washing my face now and nothing is helping. Does anyone know what would cause this and how I can fix it?

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    Options
    The two physical things I've always like about myself were my hair and my skin. I never really had acne except for the occasional pimple on my chin. I never even had to really wash my face. I mean I did in the shower but additional products were never necessary. Now since I've started college I breakout all the time. I'm even washing my face now and nothing is helping. Does anyone know what would cause this and how I can fix it?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Well here's a couple thoughts...age, hormones, & stress......... you're in a totally different environment so that's gonna put a whole different spin on the stress deal for you........ woman's hormones are always shifting around and changing....I think the oil glands change and that can make a huge difference.

Not sure on your status regarding insurance...but if you have access to it and your insurance company pays to have you head over to a dermatologist...that's a great place to start....they have products that actually work vs. the over the counter ones (that..yes, do work temporarily for some folks).

It's worth a shot...some folks never get acne when they are young but get adult acne....it used to be blamed on chocolate etc etc. but most say that isn't the cause.

I do think thought that washing our faces with something besides soap and water, then using a moisturizer ....that sort of thing ....OMGosh especially as you're 18 now you can get in such a great habit early on....... and you'll end up with the most beautiful skin if you begin taking good care of it now:happy:

I'd say a visit with an open minded dermatologist that will give you feedback on what product might work for your skin type....and go from there?:flowerforyou: Not all of them will suggest you use the expensive products...many will share with you habits to get into for good skin care that can really benefit you.

I do think though for myself...my skin tells me how my food/fitness/excercise is going. :laugh:

If I'm healthy, my skin glows and never a breakout....if my food (as in the past) is not great choices...ohhhhhhhhhhh wow, my skin ...well it just plain doesn't look healthy...same with my hair etc...

Ok, well I think your question might have gotten responded to somewhere up above hopefully.........lol

All the best to you....come back and let us know if you find some good tips in case others are also on the look out:drinker: :happy:
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have two teenagers that are having a pretty rough time with acne and we use Proactiv. It has worked like a charm as long as they keep it up. It can be a bit pricey, but my son can make a 2 month supply last 3 1/2 months using just little bits. Good luck. I have had adult acne for several years, but my skin is too sensitive for their stuff.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I second the ProActive route -- it had remarkable results on my two boys, but again, consistency is the key. You can now get an entire 3pc set for $20, which is considerably less than what it was when it first came out, and that's not too expensive considering how expensive some treatments can be. I'd try that first before anything else to see if it works. There are certain acne conditions that, of course, won't respond to ProActive, but I'd go there first.
  • MidgetOnAMission
    Options
    I've used Proacive too and it works really well. I also try to watch the carbs and sugar that produce too much yeast in my body and come out in acne. Stress is huge and does so much to our health. Are you away to college? Is there a Bible Study or Church you can find in that area? Good day to you. :happy:
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Another thing that might be going on is enviromental changes like different water. I have what is probably the world's most sensitive, allergy-prone skin (if I had just a penny for every supposedly hypoallerginic product I've used, only to have it break me out in hives.......I'd have a whoollleee bunch of pennies :tongue: ) and know from experience that "hard water" will give me fits.........and thank The Lord for marvelous things like good, soft, clean well water! Have you considered washing your face in distilled spring water and using that kind of water for drinking?
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I personally Thank God, have never had skin trouble. I honestly only use a St Ive's scrub or Pond's Cold Cream once every 1-2 weeks...
    I know that freaks some ppl out, but honestly my theory was if i didnt have to do anything and my skiin stayed clear don't mess with it.

Now my brothers all had skinproblems...and I agree with the Proactive advice, and Iknow in the kiosks in the malls there are dealers for it...sometimes you can try to find a good deal there if you're not down with the informercials lol
    Or I told my little brother clean his face with pure/organic Apple Cider Vinegar and it has reallly helped his face.
    I think it would be worth a try for you...and a bottle only costs less than $10 ( I think its more like 5 or 6 but rather over estimate)

Wish you the best!
  • Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have always had trouble with acne, it has improved as I got older...
    But Proactive works like everyone said, as long as you stick with it. When I use it my skin clears up very quickly, but if I stop using it for a day or two, I am back to breakouts! :grumble:

Also, I have only been on this new diet for about two weeks, but after switching from soda to water only, and eating healthy, I have noticed a HUGE difference in my skin, it is more clear, and a lot softer! :drinker:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've always had good skin to but I've always washed my face with a cleanser and then moisturized it. Good skin or not it needs to be cleaned. I coulndn't use just soap cause it dries out my skin. And soap is known to do that to many. If you want to keep your beautiful skin start now.
    I bet your break-outs are due to a combination of things like stress and environmental change and things like that. Depending on how bad and how often you break out you can use proactive but you can also just start using a mild cleanser each morning and see if that helps.
    You also should use a moisturizer with spf in it to protect your skin from the sun.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I've always had good skin to but I've always washed my face with a cleanser and then moisturized it. Good skin or not it needs to be cleaned. I coulndn't use just soap cause it dries out my skin. And soap is known to do that to many. If you want to keep your beautiful skin start now.
    I bet your break-outs are due to a combination of things like stress and environmental change and things like that. Depending on how bad and how often you break out you can use proactive but you can also just start using a mild cleanser each morning and see if that helps.
    You also should use a moisturizer with spf in it to protect your skin from the sun.

-Adrienne:heart:
    very good points A :drinker:

Once I began using a cleanser and moisturizer what a difference I could see....and yes very true, soap can be so drying on many people!

Clean eating, staying positive about myself, cleansing and moisturizing have all played a part for me.:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.