Please flag the spam !

yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
The new forums have features to limit spam, like rate of posting restrictions. However to keep the boards easy to access there are no restrictions on signing up and posting, so we still get spam here.

We can now flag the posts and have them disappear if 5 people mark them as spam, so as well as shouting at the screen when you read a spam post please take the time to mark it as spam using the "Flag" feature which appears bottom left of the post :

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've been doing! It's actually quite gratifying to be the fifth flagger...**CLUNK**!!! I'd say my main issue now is that it seems I'm doing more work to get the spam out. Before you just reported one or two max and when a mod showed up they'd do all the work removing the spam. Now that it's in our control (as well) I feel obliged to click into each of them just to mark them spam, and like you, hope that four others do as well rather quickly.
  • yarwell
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Now that it's in our control (as well) I feel obliged to click into each of them just to mark them spam, and like you, hope that four others do as well rather quickly.

me too, hunting those zero reply postings might become an obsession.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    so 5 wacks and they're gone?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    so 5 wacks and they're gone?

Yep! Gone forever!
    yarwell wrote: »
    Now that it's in our control (as well) I feel obliged to click into each of them just to mark them spam, and like you, hope that four others do as well rather quickly.

me too, hunting those zero reply postings might become an obsession.

Haha yeah. Zero replies, no profile pic, strange title
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    yes I hope they are reviewed by a mod before disappearing forever - was in a thread about milk this morning and some posters, including me, wrote what I thought were very reasonable points about human breast milk - and somebody flagged them as reports.
    -
    Not sure whether the reporter just disagreed with the posts or thought the word breast was inapproriate or the topic was taboo or what??? :s
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yes l, flag the spam. But don't flag posts simply because you don't agree with what is said.

This^ x 10000.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Wonderful news. I'll contribute too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2014
    With any luck if people abuse this than they will get "In trouble" ie warned etc.

ETA: just used it for the first time...on 3 posts...that was great esp as i was #5 on one of them...bam...gone
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Please don't comment on the spam threads so that it's easier to spot them (0 replies).
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    yes I hope they are reviewed by a mod before disappearing forever - was in a thread about milk this morning and some posters, including me, wrote what I thought were very reasonable points about human breast milk - and somebody flagged them as reports.
    -
    Not sure whether the reporter just disagreed with the posts or thought the word breast was inapproriate or the topic was taboo or what??? :s
    They give people the opening to flag posts like they were doing in that thread, for gifs that were fine. Giving the sensitive people the opportunity to pile on other and flag all the posts. But yet there is still nothing to to help stop the spread of endless dribble that some people put out there day in and day out.

I wish the system would also log the names of those sorry souls.

If flagging something just because you disagree with it is possible, then there should be rules in place that kick you out of the forums permanently for being too sensitive to be fit to participate with the rest of us; flag because of butthurt enough times and you lose forum privileges.

There's just no limit to how butthurt some people can be, is there...
    In theory it would be nice but then at some point it's pretty much subjective as to if a person is to sensitive. I guess if track record starts to show that a member is just constantly flagging posts because they don't agree with what's said or because someone disagrees with something they said, then the moderators could question that member or warn them but that seems like it's more work for them and isn't very likely.

The problem I see is that the people who have been around for some time or share factual advice aren't likely to be the ones hitting the flag button because they disagree with someone. They would probably engage the debate. It's the other side that would be quick to the button.

Agree with that of course. I just have a problem with the fact that spam and differing opinions now are in the same boat of sort. There are mods for a reason and currently it seems like users can act as mods.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    It still takes five flags to move the post out for moderation. The post would have to be decidedly unpopular I think for that many unique users to flag it. One person having a stick up their butt hopefully won't have that much of an impact
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    It still takes five flags to move the post out for moderation. The post would have to be decidedly unpopular I think for that many unique users to flag it. One person having a stick up their butt hopefully won't have that much of an impact

Thanks for this. It wasn't clear to me whether something got permanently deleted or merely put out of sight.
  • yarwell
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I have been the 5th flagger on about 9 posts already............what do I win?

A cleaner forum !
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Felt like this could use a bump today.