Comment from my mother...what do YOU think!?

Replies

• yc4king wrote: »
    Jesus christ, all people can usually talk about is how selfish and entitled kids are these days. Here we have a sweet 19 year old who is hard working, has her life on track, and to top it off is also GENEROUS AND CARING.

I am dismayed, and extremely disappointed with every single person suggesting she did anything wrong, including her mother. What a horrible example to set for our children. Lets all just go around looking for MORE reasons to be selfish, self absorbed, and only look out for ourselves....

OP you did a great thing, it shows great maturity and generosity and I think you will make a great nurse, an excellent mother, and a great friend to anyone fortunate enough to have your friendship.

I do agree that it would be a good idea to sit down and have a rational conversation with your mom, chances are she was upset about something else, maybe she was just having a bad day.

Thanks! I'll talk to her.
  • I highly doubt your mom would have a problem with you donating to an established charity or finding other ways to help people. You mentioned that she raised you to help people who need it and that's awesome.

Given the circumstances though, it might feel like a personal slight. It's probably the fact that you gave $ to your friend's mom that no doubt has her doing mental inventory of the HEAPS of $$$ and effort that was and continues to be put into raising/providing for you.

I'm sure your mom often put her own wants/needs on hold to provide for you and this would have her wondering just WTH your friend's mom ever contributed to have your act of kindness directed towards her rather than toward the hand that still feeds you.

Not saying it wasn't cool of you to help your friend's mom, but your own mom's reaction is understandable. You should talk to her. At least thank her for allowing you to be in a position to help others. There's no way you could have helped your friend's mom if your weren't still under your own mom's roof. A thank you could go a long way.

Thanks for your insight. That may very well be how she feels.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    I don't know, I'm not sure if it's normal for a 19 year old college student to have to start paying rent to her family already. I mean, if she graduated and had to live at home for a while, that would make sense, but at 19, you're just getting started in life, and still dealing with education/paying student bills/etc. It would seem kind of harsh to me to ask a 19 year old to pay rent if she wants to keep living at home during uni. Also, it sounds like OP is already pretty independent -- as long as it was her money she was giving, I don't see how the mother's comment was in any way justified.

19 is an adult. This is what is wrong with society now a days.

She's in school getting and education!!! There is nothing wrong with that at all. We will support both of our daughters through university, because having an education is important.

OP, I would be proud to be your mother. You work, you go to school to create a future for yourself, and you are giving. Don't change, the world needs more of you.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    edited October 2014
    randomtai wrote: »
    I don't know, I'm not sure if it's normal for a 19 year old college student to have to start paying rent to her family already. I mean, if she graduated and had to live at home for a while, that would make sense, but at 19, you're just getting started in life, and still dealing with education/paying student bills/etc. It would seem kind of harsh to me to ask a 19 year old to pay rent if she wants to keep living at home during uni. Also, it sounds like OP is already pretty independent -- as long as it was her money she was giving, I don't see how the mother's comment was in any way justified.

19 is an adult. This is what is wrong with society now a days.

She's in school getting and education!!! There is nothing wrong with that at all. We will support both of our daughters through university, because having an education is important.

OP, I would be proud to be your mother. You work, you go to school to create a future for yourself, and you are giving. Don't change, the world needs more of you.

awwww thanks!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    You did good. Moms sometimes make dumb comments. Not the end of the world.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    This might have been already said but I take her comment as being a passive aggressive self-pity statement. Without directly saying it, she's saying that she sure does wish someone would help HER out and offer HER money.

I say this because this is something my mother would say, sort of that 'boo-hoo, no one ever does anything for me" thing.
  • I just graduated from college in May, I am 35 and I have a 2 year old daughter. The job offers I got just couldn't support my expenses any more so I made the conscious decision to pack up my stuff and move back in with my parents for 6 months. Its hard and I truly understand how you feel. I do have to help my parents out, even though they have minimal bills because they are just that type of way. But I also get help with my daughter. In saying that, we sat down and hammered out the logistics before I moved back in. If there was no said conversation, its kind of out of line to come down on you about money and how you spend it. Especially if you arent known to be a frivolous spender. I would sit and have a chat with her when things cool off and see what really sparked this. Good luck.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I think that what you did is a generous gesture that you should feel good about. Helping others truly in need is never a bad thing. I'm glad you explained your reasons to your mother.

Perhaps your mother isn't telling you the whole story of how things are at your house. My parents tried to shield me from their hardships. I'd talk with her about it. Anyhow, I think your mother raised a caring, thoughtful, young woman. Maybe you should remind her of this, also.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Maybe there is a conversation that needs to be had with your mom. While what you did what was selfless and genuine, your kindness can easily be taken advantage of. I would not let it become something you continue to do on a regular basis. If she needs more help than you have given her, maybe you can start looking into resources that can assist her during her time of need. There are churches, and hope houses and government assistance than can help with her basic needs. If she needs gas to turn in applications maybe you could just give her a ride to those places instead. Your mom may have responded the way she did because she sees or knows something you don't about this situation. And maybe there are things going on in your home you are not aware of that is stressing your mom out and that extra little bit of money may have been something that could have helped. While I doubt that you are going without like the woman you are helping. There is definitely some underlying reason your mom who has taught you to treat others so kindly is reacting this way to your efforts.
    Don't feel bad about the good you have done. That is something to feel good about.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    You did a very selfless act, in that I congratulate you. I don't know your mom or your situation but I would suggest asking her why she reacted that way. Communication is absolute key :smile:

Next, to all of those saying she owes her mom, those are just your views on how a parent-child relationship should go and you should not push that idea(if you are) onto others.

My mom and I have a very strong bond. I go to college and pay for my tuition and gas money all on my own by working part time(with full time hours lol) and go to school full time. I have never taken a cent from my parents. I do live with them, because they insisted very strongly. I do use my mothers car, because she wants to ensure I have means of travel to school. Never once did my parents think or say I owe them anything.

My parents believe that, because they brought me into this world, it's their responsibility to support me(as long as I choose the right road) until I am able to fully support myself.

If my parents look like they are struggling, do I mind my own business and ignore it? No.
    Do I help them out anyways against their will? Of course(though they do get mad at me because I am a student and they should be the ones looking after me).

I grew up on this type of parenting and I will continue it with my future kids(if I have any). When I finish college I will buy my parents a house and such because I feel like then it would be my turn to take care of them.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    You're an adult and the money was yours to use, not hers to control. Regardless of whether you are in a position now where it might be good to give back to the folks for providing room and board, there was no understood arrangement at the time.

It's great and you did a good deed, but even if you spent that $100 on lipstick, I'd say your mom no longer has a say in what you do with money that's in your pocket.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    You don' t wanna hear your mom's mouth about things? Move out. Simple.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Maybe Mama deserves some rent as you are an adult now. Maybe you eat her food, use her home and drive her car and yet you give to a friends mother???
    You are not a kid anymore :)
    Totally agree (I am a parent

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    OP: you have a great heart, and you did something wonderful. As long as you and your parents agree on your living situation, the share of bills and expenses, etc., you should feel free to spend your money the way that you see fit. You did well.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I think your Mom should be proud she raised such a compassionate daughter. I would be very proud of my daughter if she did something like this to help another. As far as rent etc you should pay your mom, my daughter will pay me rent when she is out of college working full time if she is still living in my home. Until then I will pay her way just as my parents did for me.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    My daughter is 20 and my son is 18. They're both living at home while going to school. I would NEVER charge them rent. They pay their own tuition, gas for the car they share and their phone bills.

OP, you did an amazing thing and if your mother won't say so then I will. I'm proud of what you did. You are on the right path and I have no doubt when you do move out and are on your own you will be just as generous and kindhearted.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Idk why people think you owe your parents money for rent or tuition. They're investing in you and thats not a bad thing. It's not a bad thing to live with parents. That $100 was yours and you had the right to help your friend. If your mother is upset thats a personal issue. She should be proud to have a child who would go out of your way to help a friend. :]

I agree. :)

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    OP, ya done good.
    You sound like a sweet person. :innocent: Don't lose that.
    I'm thinking it may have had a lot to do with timing. Maybe some money issues she hasn't discussed with you...
    If she would like more financial support from you for living there, that should be a separate conversation and you should have a set "rent" and or responsibilities.
    This.
    I asked her if there were any particular bills or anything she wants me to help pay. She told me not to worry about it, which she always tells me and then gets angry because I don't help her out. I offer to help her and she turns it down and then does that. I really don't know what to do to make her happy.
    Sit your mom down and ask her what is bothering her. Let her know that you are an adult now and she doesn't need to hide things from you, that you can listen, and help if you can.
    you took extraordinary measures to help and show this woman that you care. If you're not already, do the same, even more so, for your mom. Express your gratitude and appreciation for everything your mom does for you. Help her cook the meals. Clean the house for her. If its true, tell you you love her and couldn't do it without her. And OFFER to help financially, don't make her ask. Sometimes you may have to insist. If you're already doing all this than you're everything a mommy should hope for.
    The only thing I could add to that is maybe you could grab one of the bills every month & pay it yourself? I mean literally get the paper that the utility company mails to your house & write your own check & mark the bill "paid" & put it in the paid bill pile. Maybe don't even ask about it, just take responsibility for one bill.
    Just a thought, and it might not fit your situation. Don't make things worse.
    My parents paid for me to go to university. They were in a position that they could afford to do that. I'm very grateful to them, and I hope I'll be able to do the same for my children when they're older.
    This. My parents did the same thing, for my first degree, and I'm very grateful. Now I'm struggling with student loans for the other 2.5 degrees, can't get a job, can't pay my bills, worried about losing the house, and can really appreciate what a huge contribution they gave me.

I'd love to be able to help my son when he goes to college. Right now it's not looking possible :cry: I can't even support myself. Very discouraging.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Maybe just ask your mom why she flew off the handle (or went Greyhound off the handle)?
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    I have to say, I have mixed feelings on this one.

On one hand, your mom probably pays all your utilities, food, and needs. She probably sacrifices a lot to be able to afford to do so and lives on a budget. Most families do. She probably, even though she phrased it and said it badly, wanted you to think of maybe giving to help her pay for you instead.

On the other hand, you make your money it should be yours to do with what you will. If you choose to help your mom or a friend's mom or whatever with it, it's your decision.