Carbs

I am new to T2D and the diabetic diet restrictions...I'm on a journey to lose 25#. I'm on a 1600 cal diet & 217 g of carbs...but that is for non diabetic...how many carbs should I limit myself to on a diabetic diet?

Replies

• Baconist
    Baconist Posts: 74 Member
    You should ask your doctor or your diabetic trainer/counselor. Mine is 40% and *suppose* to stay away from starches; pasta and potatoes especially...I am not always successful.

Until I sat in on the classes my doctor offers, I thought Carbs = potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, cake, cookies...and they are, but they are, or most of them are, starches as well which are terribly not good for diabetics. There are the so called "good carbs" fruits, veggies, legumes, beans. Then the please limit these in your diet carbs...Milk and cheese mostly, but some others as well.

My doctor also told me to beware "whole wheat" or "whole grain" pasta and breads as they are still a starchy carb.

Best to you.
  • You're making a good start managing T2 diabetes maryannklasna. The current recommendation is for each person to work with a diabetes educator to figure out the most appropriate meal plan and amount of carbohydrate for you. Almost every food contains some carbohydrate, and learning how different foods and different amounts of carbohdydrate affect you individually is key to manage diabetes. Ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes educator or a diabetes education class, and that will help you start to come up with the best plan for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • quiltnutty
    quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
    The dietician that I met with advised 180 carbs a day but I found by testing my blood that this wasn't near low enough to keep my blood sugar in the normal range. I now keep my carbs to around 50 spread throughout the day. You have to find out what works best for your body.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    You can start with the 217 carbs and test your sugar to see how you are doing. And then if that isn't low enough I would go down to about 180 and try that for a while and see how it goes.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    quiltnutty wrote: »
    The dietician that I met with advised 180 carbs a day but I found by testing my blood that this wasn't near low enough to keep my blood sugar in the normal range. I now keep my carbs to around 50 spread throughout the day. You have to find out what works best for your body.
    amberj32 wrote: »
    You can start with the 217 carbs and test your sugar to see how you are doing. And then if that isn't low enough I would go down to about 180 and try that for a while and see how it goes.

I agree with both of these posters ;)

bloodsugar101.com is a great place to start doing research.
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/18217337.php

What is normal blood sugar?
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php

In order to have fasting BG btw 79 mg/dl and 90 mg/dl, I eat less than 20g of carbs per day.
    I'm on a ketogenic diet and I'm also on Metformin 1500mg once daily.
    I test frequently, multiple times throughout the day, when I try new foods or recipes, or exercises.

My 1 hour post BG is < 115 mg/dl and my casual BG 2 hours and beyond is btw 90-100 mg/dl.
    I've been at it for 2 years & have lost 30+ pounds by keeping away from all starches & sugars.

Though I went cold turkey, I wouldn't recommend it. Ease into carb restriction by finding foods that are not 'substitutes' per se, but a reasonable replacement.

You'll need to discuss goals with your doctor so that medications can be taken into consideration.
    Good luck =)