Don't forget to get your Flu Shot!

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    When I was teaching I ALWAYS got my vaccines. Classrooms are like petri dishes. :s The one time I forgot, I was SO sorry that year... It's everyone's personal choice, but to me it seems that if you work with the public and/or are around immune-compromised people, you are kind of a jerk if you don't get vaccinated.

My SIL caught everything her first year teaching. She called herself Typhoid Mary. Just need that one kid who snots on everything and boom. Everyone's down for the count.

(*)

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Think that's what I'm fighting right now, it's been a brutal week+ and still horrible. Unfortunately, our vaccine program starts next week :(

I also need to get it to protect family, my daughter who is vulnerable due to severe asthma, and cannot get the vaccine.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I volunteer at a hospital. If we don't get the shot we have to wear a mask during flu season. I choose the shot.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Many counties offer free flu shot clinics and pharmacies have them available for around $33 if you don't have health insurance. The availability of free and low cost protection against the flu should give anyone who thinks this is a pharmaceutical conspiracy reason to pause. While I don't doubt there are corporate shenanigans attached to the pharmaceutical industry, free and low-cost drugs is not where their interests lie.

Flu vaccines are available in many of these places as nasal sprays, for those afraid of shots.

http://20somethingfinance.com/where-to-get-cheap-or-free-flu-shots/
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    I didn't get one last year and ended up out for almost a week with the flu for the first time ever in my life. I'm definitely getting one this year. My fiancee also is susceptible to pneumonia so my flu vaccine can help save her from a hospital stay with that.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    wheird wrote: »
    chadya07 wrote: »
    do you work for a drug company or what?

What do you mean?
    It means we should be wary of you and get our tin foil hats on.

i was pretty much kidding but its the internet so nobody ever knows. its just the OP was worded in a way that made me think of an advertsiement.

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    I have a terrible phobia of needles. Hyperventaliating and all. I'd rather get the flu. SOO.. no thanks. :pensive:

Just FYI, most influenza vaccines are a nasal spray.
  • azbound13
    azbound13 Posts: 1 Member
    Got mine today, every year I get it. I skipped one year and ended up in bed for 2 weeks, it was horrible.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Trignon wrote: »
    If anyone is eating Pteropodidae ( fruit bats ) you may want to get the Flu shot to avoid coming down with 'Mononegavirales Filoviridae Ebolavirus'.

Not sure if this is meant to be a joke :s but in case anyone took it seriously - the flu vaccine protects you from influenza, it does not offer any protection at all against Ebola.

• paperpudding
    Cait_Sidhe wrote: »
    I have a terrible phobia of needles. Hyperventaliating and all. I'd rather get the flu. SOO.. no thanks. :pensive:

really???

Not in Australia they aren't - all influenza vaccines here are an injection.

Have not heard of nasal spray flu vaccines - afaik, no vaccines for anything are yet available as nasal sprays. I certainly havent come across any in many years of working in immunisation.

Please let us know which country you are in, where there are nasal spray vaccines.

• 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    edited October 2014

really???

Have not heard of nasal spray flu vaccines - afaik, no vaccines for anything are yet available as nasal sprays. I certainly havent come across any in many years of working in immunisation.

Please let us know which country you are in, where there are nasal spray vaccines.

I never heard of it and thought it defeated the purpose of saying, you know, "shot" but evidently they exist with pros and cons. I just googled "nasal influenza vaccine".
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    21million wrote: »

really???

I never heard of it and thought it defeated the purpose of saying, you know, "shot" but evidently they exist with pros and cons. I just googled "nasal influenza vaccine".

really???

LOL, I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    No thanks. I get a flu about every 8 years and I'm down for 2 days and then I'm right back up. No big issues with the flu for me.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited October 2014

So do I but I force myself to get the shot every year as I am asthmatic. I'd rather be anxious and stressed for a short while than in the hospital with the flu and anemia, out for who knows how long.

ETA: I got mine on Friday. It was a very traumatic week with a blood draw on Tuesday and shot on Friday.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited October 2014
    We have nasal flu vaccines here in Canada. Contraindicated for people with asthma, fyi

Edited to add that the primary form of flu vaccine given is by needle though.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    I don't do flu shots... sorry...
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    21million wrote: »

really???

really???

LOL, I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm

I bet it burns like one of those sneezes that get stuck in your nose! D:
  • EvgenyP
    EvgenyP Posts: 19 Member
    Would rather take DNP for weight loss than take a flu shot, but i wont take either.
  • paperpudding
    Interesting. thanks for that link.

they are not availabe in Australia.

on reading the link though, nasal spray flu vaccine is NOT recomended for
    • children under 2
    • adults over 50
    • asthmatics of any age
    • pregnant women
    • people with underlying medical conditions that place them at high risk of serious flu complications

which rules out almost all people getting free flu vaccine in Australia anyway.

Do you know if it is more expensive than injections?

If so, most work places which vaccinate their employees wont pay for it either and many people would still opt for the injection if it is much cheaper.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I volunteer at a hospital. If we don't get the shot we have to wear a mask during flu season. I choose the shot.
    Since I also work at a Wellness Center (gym attached to a hospital), I also had to get the flu shot rather than try to train and teach people with a mask on. Lol, the ironic thing is once I punch out, I can take the mask off and go back on the floor to work out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png