Don't forget to get your Flu Shot!

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I did 3 weeks ago and freakn flu shot gave me all the flu symptoms.ARRRGGG Hopefully I can refocus as I am trying to lose my last freakn 5 lbs before Holidays!

That's what I always hear about the flu shot, you get it anyways. And fearing needle, I'm not getting... hell no!! I haven't had the flu in years.

I remember when I used to take care of this elderly lady, when she asked her doctor how the shots are made, she completely misunderstood him and freaked out cuz she thought he said they were made by using dead people cells. Nobody could ever convince her to get the shot after that!! :bigsmile:
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    edited October 2014
    I got a flu shot for the first time last year (no doctor ever offered to give me one before), and I was noticeably less sick during the flu season. Going to get one this month, my job has a free flu shot day for employees. :) I'm not very afraid of needles anymore, I get blood drawn a lot for tests. As long as I dont look at the needle, I can pretend it doesn't exist. lol

To all the tinfoil hat people posting... no I am not being mind-controlled by the government, and no I am not being paid by drug companies. Try loosening the tinfoil hat a bit. =.= Not everyone who's view opposes yours is being brainwashed, some of us researched (legitimate sources) and came up with our own (educated) opinions.

To people claiming the flu shot gives them the flu... You are technically right. The way vaccines work is it gives you a DEAD/INACTIVE version of the virus, so your immune system can create antibodies for it. It does not make you sick, since the virus inside it is inactive. But it also cannot protect you from ALL flu versions, it can only protect you against versions it was made for, so if there is a new version they dont have a vaccine for yet floating around, you can still get sick.
    This was covered in basic High School education, people.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    spicy618 wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny. A serious question. If others around you take the flu shot, aren't they protected?
    I've never had a flu shot, but my mom (89) does. We don't live together, but I visit her often. Is she protected from me?

This! I dont understand why there is such a push for people to get the flu shot. I mean, if you want to be protected - get the shot! If not, then whatever! Those to had the shot should be protected right? So does it make a difference if I get my shot or not?

I find whenever I start asking questions about flu shots, nurses tend to get pissed off very quickly and defensive. Why do we take the flu shots? What are these shots made up of? Are the mixes tested long-term, or just made and given to the public? Do they cause cancer, MS, autism or any other illnesses that we are unsure of what the cause is? I have yet to get a direct answer about these concerns, and without scientific back-up...I would prefer to let my body deal with things as they come.

I do not get the flu shot...because I am not into sticking random (perhaps unnecessary) drugs into my body. If its not broke - dont fix it!
  • Ruzuki
    edited October 2014
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny. A serious question. If others around you take the flu shot, aren't they protected?
    I've never had a flu shot, but my mom (89) does. We don't live together, but I visit her often. Is she protected from me?

This! I dont understand why there is such a push for people to get the flu shot. I mean, if you want to be protected - get the shot! If not, then whatever! Those to had the shot should be protected right? So does it make a difference if I get my shot or not?

I find whenever I start asking questions about flu shots, nurses tend to get pissed off very quickly and defensive. Why do we take the flu shots? What are these shots made up of? Are the mixes tested long-term, or just made and given to the public? Do they cause cancer, MS, autism or any other illnesses that we are unsure of what the cause is? I have yet to get a direct answer about these concerns, and without scientific back-up...I would prefer to let my body deal with things as they come.

I do not get the flu shot...because I am not into sticking random (perhaps unnecessary) drugs into my body. If its not broke - dont fix it!

There are people who CANT get some vaccines because of an allergy or medical condition. These people rely on something called 'herd immunity'. They rely on other people having gotten the vaccine, and thus being immune to it. If other people stop getting the vaccines, if they catch the virus they can transmit it to people who dont have an option of getting a vaccine.

We take flu shots to prevent the spread of flu. We cant prevent all strains of it, but the more we can stop, the less likely one of those strains will mutate and end up being a killer flu.
    I have no idea what they are made of, but I am sure Google does.
    ANY vaccine or drug given to humans is rigorously tested for safety before they release it to the public. This is a LAW.
    Vaccines do NOT cause cancer, or autism for sure, there have been MULTIPLE tests to verify this. The one test that said vaccines caused autism in children, that test had been found to have been rigged, and the person who did the test had his medical license revoked. (I dont know what MS is, so Ill leave that to you to find out.) (And people not knowing why cancer rates are high dont THINK. The reason cancer rates are so high is because a) we have new methods of detecting cancer so we are finding it more often when otherwise it would have went unnoticed b) we are living longer. OLD AGE is a cause of cancer. Longer you live, more chance of some cells somewhere malfunctioning and boom, cancer. c) Our ozone is being thinned, so more UV ray exposure, not to mention tanning beds and etc. d) We are exposed to so many new things, that people 50 years ago were not exposed to.)

If you need scientific back-up, Google. I have heard those questions answered multiple times from many many sources.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    I think you posted this just to see the opposition get wound up tighter than a blood filled tick!! I like the way you think Sweet Treat! B)
  • Ruzuki
    I think you posted this just to see the opposition get wound up tighter than a blood filled tick!! I like the way you think Sweet Treat! B)
    lol, best way to start an argument is to mention anything controversial... religion, politics... I have no idea why a lot of science topics are controversial though. A fact is a fact. =/
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    When I was teaching I ALWAYS got my vaccines. Classrooms are like petri dishes. :s The one time I forgot, I was SO sorry that year... It's everyone's personal choice, but to me it seems that if you work with the public and/or are around immune-compromised people, you are kind of a jerk if you don't get vaccinated.

My SIL caught everything her first year teaching. She called herself Typhoid Mary. Just need that one kid who snots on everything and boom. Everyone's down for the count.

Seriously, if you want an immune system that will laugh in the face of every illness to ever evolve just spend a year teaching. I caught pink eye twice in two months, had a sore throat so bad the doctor gave me liquid lidocaine the gargle with, and the worst cold I have ever had that lasted at least a month and just would NOT go away.

I currently have 0 contact with at risk or immuno-compromized individuals so no, I'm not planning on getting the flu vaccine, but I would if it were relevant. The conspiracy theories are cracking me up though.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Ruzuki wrote: »
    dakotababy wrote: »

There are people who CANT get some vaccines because of an allergy or medical condition. These people rely on something called 'herd immunity'. They rely on other people having gotten the vaccine, and thus being immune to it. If other people stop getting the vaccines, if they catch the virus they can transmit it to people who dont have an option of getting a vaccine.

We take flu shots to prevent the spread of flu. We cant prevent all strains of it, but the more we can stop, the less likely one of those strains will mutate and end up being a killer flu.
    I have no idea what they are made of, but I am sure Google does.
    ANY vaccine or drug given to humans is rigorously tested for safety before they release it to the public. This is a LAW.
    Vaccines do NOT cause cancer, or autism for sure, there have been MULTIPLE tests to verify this. The one test that said vaccines caused autism in children, that test had been found to have been rigged, and the person who did the test had his medical license revoked. (I dont know what MS is, so Ill leave that to you to find out.)

If you need scientific back-up, Google. I have heard those questions answered multiple times from many many sources.

Also, generally, the elderly and people who have a chronic illness have a weaker immune system. This means that not only they are more likely to get the flu, they also may have a decreased response to the vaccine even if they get the shot and would benefit from herd immunity.
  • crystallynnl
    crystallynnl Posts: 100 Member
    I hear the flu shot gives a person the flu. I haven't had a flu shot, ever. I think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I have several family members with compromised immune systems and for them getting the flu could be deadly. I get it for their protection as much as mine, but I'd get it anyway.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    I'll never get another flu shot! I got one last Thursday morning and by Thurs evening I was broke out all over with terrible hives. My face arms & chest are covered in raised painful hives, and now I'm taking prednisone to try to counteract the reaction.

Come to find out thimerosal is a preservative in the flu shot I got.

From the CDC FAQ "Although no evidence suggests that there are safety concerns with thimerosal, vaccine manufacturers have stopped using it as a precautionary measure.The only vaccine that still includes thimerosal as a preservative is the multi-dose inactivated influenza vaccine. There are other formulations of flu vaccine that do not include thimerosal. "

WARNING if you have a sensitivity to this preservative, I found out the hard way.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    My employer offers it for free, but they are not doing it until Oct. 30. I have type 1 diabetes, and getting sick creates havoc on my blood sugars (I mean more havoc than normal even). I'll be glad to get it when possible, but I'm not sure how long it takes to work... chances are that early Nov., I'll get sick before the vaccine takes effect. :/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    salladeve wrote: »
    I'll never get another flu shot! I got one last Thursday morning and by Thurs evening I was broke out all over with terrible hives. My face arms & chest are covered in raised painful hives, and now I'm taking prednisone to try to counteract the reaction.

Come to find out thimerosal is a preservative in the flu shot I got.

From the CDC FAQ "Although no evidence suggests that there are safety concerns with thimerosal, vaccine manufacturers have stopped using it as a precautionary measure.The only vaccine that still includes thimerosal as a preservative is the multi-dose inactivated influenza vaccine. There are other formulations of flu vaccine that do not include thimerosal. "

WARNING if you have a sensitivity to this preservative, I found out the hard way.

If there are formulations without the preservative, then why would you refuse to get it. There are several variations of the shot for those with reactions to the most common shot.
  • Trignon
    Trignon Posts: 21 Member
    Can't believe there are still people who think they can get the flu from the shot.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    My employer offers it for free, but they are not doing it until Oct. 30. I have type 1 diabetes, and getting sick creates havoc on my blood sugars (I mean more havoc than normal even). I'll be glad to get it when possible, but I'm not sure how long it takes to work... chances are that early Nov., I'll get sick before the vaccine takes effect. :/

If you have insurance you can go to any urgent care facility or something like "Minute Clinic" to get the vaccine. It is free.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I hate needles.

*is covered in tattoos*
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I use to get sinus infections, started flu shots and hardly ever have one now. I got a flu about 15 yrs ago and had to take 2 hot baths in middle of night, ever since, flu shot for me.
  • AtItAgain_1
    AtItAgain_1 Posts: 3 Member

you are correct, that is the only way it will work, someone who has a flu shot may not incubate the virus in their body, but they can still carry it and pass it on via hands, clothing etc.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Will do. Last year was the first year I did on my own, along with my small children.