What the Heck is the Paleo Diet???!!!

Options
I heard read a little about it online. Sounds like a carb/fat elimination? Anyway it peaked my curiosity, because of all the success stories. Does anyone here participate in the Paleo Diet? I would love to here your stories, good, bad, and also general tips for a girl looking to get body fat down and tone up at the same time.
Thanks so much for taking the time to educate a noob! :D

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/top-10-most-popular-diets-review.aspx#paleo-diet

Paleo diet

The paleo diet, also known as the caveman diet, was Google’s most searched-for weight loss method in 2013. The diet consists of foods that can be hunted and fished – such as meat and seafood – and foods that can be gathered – such as eggs, nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices. It’s a regime based on the supposed eating habits of our hunter-gatherer ancestors during the paleolithic era before the development of agriculture some 10,000 years ago. That means cereal grains including wheat, dairy, refined sugar, potatoes, salt – as well as anything processed – are strictly off the menu. There is no official "paleo diet" but it is generally seen as a low-carb, high-protein diet with some variations on carbohydrate and meat intake. Advocates say the paleo diet is a long-term healthy eating plan that can help you lose weight and reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer and other health problems. Most studies on the paleo-type diet are small and more long-term research is needed to show conclusively whether or not it is as effective as some people claim. One 2008 study suggested that the paleo diet “could help reduce the risk of heart disease”. However, several limitations in the study meant it was not possible to say whether the paleo diet was any more effective than any other low-calorie diets.

Pros:
    The paleo diet encourages you to eat less processed food and more fruit and vegetables. Reducing your consumption of high-calorie foods will reduce your calorie intake and help you to lose weight. The diet is simple and doesn’t involve calorie-counting. Some plans go by the “80/20” rule whereby you’ll get 99% of the benefits of the paleo diet if you adhere to it 80% of the time. This flexibility can make the diet easier to stick to so you are more likely to be successful.

Cons:
    There are no accurate records of the diet of our Stone Age ancestors so the paleo diet is largely based on an educated guess and its health claims lack scientific evidence. Most versions of the diet encourage large amounts of meat, which runs counter to current health advice on meat consumption. Many versions ban dairy products and whole grains, which form part of a healthy balanced diet. Like all high-protein diets, the paleo can be expensive depending on your choice of meat cuts. It's impossible to follow without eating meat, seafood or eggs so it’s not one for vegetarians!

BDA verdict:
    Most versions of the paleo diet exclude key food groups, raising the potential for nutritional deficiencies unless careful substitutions are made, and dietary supplements may be necessary. The diet has some positive aspects, so an adapted version that doesn't ban any food groups such as whole grains, dairy and legumes would be a better choice. The diet lacks variety so there’s a risk you’ll get bored quickly and give up. If you want to copy Paleolithic man, you’re better off mimicking his activity levels rather than his alleged diet.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Never heard of it.
    B)

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In essence it's about eating what we evolved to eat 10,000 years ago - or what we think was eaten then. So anything modern and processed doesn't fit. Tends to be lower in carbs (no modern grains) but not low in fat. It is loosely defined and interpreted so you will find multiple definitions.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    hi there....if you want a testimonial in favour of the Paleo Diet....send a message to willnorton.....he will tell you how well it's worked for him.....I also recommend the book Living Paleo for Dummies....I think that's what it's called....ask him, he will know.....
  • CogentLinkie
    CogentLinkie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Simply put, no grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods. So meat is in and plants are in as long as those plants, fruits or berries can be eaten raw and not processed. Grains generally can't be eaten raw same with legumes. Not sure why they don't like dairy though. This is my understanding of it.
  • nunas2014
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for the input. I'm curious about the diet since it implies less calorie counting and more eating (who doesn't love that) but I'm slightly concerned about the lack of grains and dairies. Thanks so much for the research!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Never heard of it.
    :wink:
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    nunas2014 wrote: »
    I heard read a little about it online. Sounds like a carb/fat elimination? Anyway it peaked my curiosity, because of all the success stories. Does anyone here participate in the Paleo Diet? I would love to here your stories, good, bad, and also general tips for a girl looking to get body fat down and tone up at the same time.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to educate a noob! :D

I can tell you what it definitely is not the way our distant ancestors ate.

Our paleolithic ancestors didn't eat 'paleo' and most of the stuff they did eat doesn't even exist in that form anymore. It's an exercise in futility based on a lie.

With that flimsy justification rejected it can more clearly be seen as what it is: A fairly arbitrary food group elimination diet...just like all the others that go in and out of fashion.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    ^^This^^

Basically, a "paleo diet" is bro-science and guesswork that, depending on how it is implemented and which "expert" you follow may result in a better or worse diet than what you are eating now.

Many of the diets that show up in books and fads are the result of "ruthless extrapolation," taking a set of assumptions and running with them. Often the end product is a leap to conclusions based on very little evidence and a whole lot of assumptions.

Basically, in human nutrition, if the answers were simple and solitary, we'd all know them and be shouting them from the rooftops.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It is not a "caveman diet" and I saw a bunch of other bs mentioned above. Maybe asking people who know what it is (albeit it is different things to different people) might be more useful. No it does not eliminate fat and carbs.

Try Google. Then if you like what you see make your way over to the "Primal/Paleo Support Group" here at MFP and lots of people there with REAL experience with a Paleo lifestyle will be happy to answer questions and share results. There's even a Recommended Reading post that will provide all kinds of useful resources.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Simply put, no grains, legumes, dairy or processed foods. So meat is in and plants are in as long as those plants, fruits or berries can be eaten raw and not processed. Grains generally can't be eaten raw same with legumes. Not sure why they don't like dairy though. This is my understanding of it.

I read ONLY grass fed beef an I guess taking berries and making a smoothie is out. Is there a peasant diet?