HIIT Training?

I'm considering starting HIIT training but am still working on the downward weight loss and am not yet able to run and don't want to risk injury. Any help on HIIT using and elliptical or stationary bike? Thoughts? Thanks for all your help in advance!

Replies

• GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    You can do HIIT on pretty much anything (although wouldn't recommend it on weights as your form will suffer because you're trying to go fast!!)
    In PT my trainers had me doing 1min of as hard and fast as I can go on the elliptical machine with a 2min recover, similar on the bike, had to keep it above a certain RPM on a certain level for similar time frames.
    Check Youtube as well for others, it can be done for burpees, squats, push-ups, pretty much anything.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Some common HIIT wisdom might say short bursts of intensity, like 30 seconds, followed by a 1 minute rest or slow/low intensity period. I say flip that upside down, and do lengthy bursts of about 1:00 or 1:30 followed by a 30 to 45 second rest or slow/low intensity period.
    I know some ellipticals or stationary bikes have programs of this nature.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    I do some sort ot HIIT with all my workouts. If I am lifting I will do 20 sec on 10 sec rest for 8 rounds (4 min) for each exercise. If I am on tredmill, rowing machine, eliptical. I go 2 min hard with a 1 min rest. 20-30 mins of those intervals will kick your butt. The key is to get your heart rate up high and then bring it back down.
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    You may wanna try Orange Theory Fitness if it's available in your area. It is heart-rate based interval training. They have alternatives to the treadmill (stationary bike and elliptical) and then they have rowing machines. You have a trainer who is there to ensure that you are in proper form and also to help ensure that you are getting the most out of your workout. It's an hour workout and they switch it up everyday so you won't get bored. I love it!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Go to Bodyrock.TV or Zuzkalight and you will fine others too. You can do a 8-12 min HIIT and try different things, you will work up to it. My workout group can do workouts that are 50 secs on, 10 rest and even 8 min on 1 min rest, do weights, then finish with a functional HIIT workout. You really dont have to wait, esp if you are trying to lose weight, this will help
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Some common HIIT wisdom might say short bursts of intensity, like 30 seconds, followed by a 1 minute rest or slow/low intensity period. I say flip that upside down, and do lengthy bursts of about 1:00 or 1:30 followed by a 30 to 45 second rest or slow/low intensity period.

If you can do a HIIT like that man props to you. I have a hard time trying to do 20 secs hard 10 sec rest.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

If you can do a HIIT like that man props to you. I have a hard time trying to do 20 secs hard 10 sec rest.

you get better at it- well- you just suck less- you never really get good at it.

20 seconds is too short for me- unless I'm doing a pure 10/10 split- no rest- then I'm perfectly happy with 10-15 seconds.

50 is a good stretch- just enough time to really break you down. LOL

• yopeeps025
    JoRocka wrote: »

you get better at it- well- you just suck less- you never really get good at it.

20 seconds is too short for me- unless I'm doing a pure 10/10 split- no rest- then I'm perfectly happy with 10-15 seconds.

I do mine on jump rope I have got a little faster at 70 jumps in 20 sec but to continue that after round 3 is crazy for me.

• laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    Thank you everyone...I'm quite nervous about this...lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka wrote: »

I do mine on jump rope I have got a little faster at 70 jumps in 20 sec but to continue that after round 3 is crazy for me.

oh that's why- yeah- Jump rope hiit to me is a slightly different ball of wax LOL- either I use the JP as just a recovery/maintance place- or I do a shorter interval jump rope workout.

Like if I"m doing burpees- and KB swings- and push ups- and *kitten*- then I use a 50 second JP as a mini recovery- I push- but not "sprint"

if I'm doing specific JR HIIT- then yeah- I only do 20-30 seconds to push flat out for... I'm with you on that one- crap is brutal.
  • JoRocka

don't be nervous- just set a timer and do your best till it dings. I have an actual gymboss (best thing EVER){ and then I have one on my phone I use if I'm not jumping around to much and I can leave it in ear/eye distance.

You'll be fine- just do the best you can- and modify as you need but don't give up- just keep trying.

I found also for folks who were brand new- doing 5 min intervals with a slightly longer break- like 45 work/15 rest- and then take a quick break of 2-3 min- then repeat it again- maybe a third time if you're feeling saucy... was pretty good- 10-15 min flat out can be overwhelming if you've never done it before.
  • yopeeps025

You will figure out how hard you can go during the workouts. Your body can only push so hard and for so long.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member

I am a madman and a glutton for punishment.