Question about cooked rice

So I made some Zatarain's red beans and rice, but it only gave a serving size weight for uncooked (57g). It said the serving size for the cooked product was one cup, but in order to be more accurate with my logging I was wondering what the serving size weight of the cooked rice would be. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Oh gosh I've been struggling with this for a while now. I'm in for some answers. I've read over and over again to 'just cook a single serving or two' but that's pretty difficult when it's been cooked already by someone else in my house or we cook a whole pot for the family to eat
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    if you cook the whole thing- just take how many servings for the whole box and divide up.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    This has been a problem for me with popcorn as well... I mean, "2 tablespoons unpopped"? It comes in its own bag and I didn't put it in there. I looked at the serving size on the bag and it said "about 3", so I figure there must be 6 tablespoons of unpopped kernels in the bag, but what an odd way to measure it.
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Sometimes the box will say...."1/3 cup uncooked equals 1 cup cooked" or something like that. It's usually in smaller print down near the bottom. Same for popcorn. I usually just go by that.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well couldn't you just weigh the 1 cup? I take down the oz. But I really don't know what that equates to calories wise. That is my issue.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Weigh it after its cooked, and divide by how many servings per box
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Just look up what ever kind of rice it is and put USDA (US Dept of Agriculture) in the search box. Ex: USDA Long Grain Brown rice - it'll come back with a cooked/uncooked version

And FYI: You can put USDA before lots of veggies and other foods if you don't know the caloric value.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Weigh it dry, and divide that number by the serving size to know how many servings there are. Then weigh it cooked, and divide that number by the number of servings to know the serving size cooked. Tada!

For what it's worth, the number of servings written on a box is *never* accurate.