Carb Counting

12345679»

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Yes it was pretty good. I used turkey sausage in it and use oat fiber as a binder/ had green beans and tea with it and a apple.
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like a delicious meal! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    try to make a high fiber low carb muffin yesterday but turn out like a crustless pumpkin pie. very good Made 2 and had one for breakfast this morning. Was anxious to see what my bloods count was this morning. It was 119 About my average. Also had bean soup. I am beginning to realize it is how I overload my carbs that make my blood sugar go up . its not about carbs its how much I eat . Keep my carbs low and blood sugar stays low.
    have a wonderful day.
    Marie
    495107ifu2m45il1.png

I love carbs but must control my intake
  • CALIECAT
    Had a good week on LOW carbs lost 2 lbs since last Friday.
    To day menu
    B-- 1 Flax muffin with pumpkin, coffee.
    L-- 1/2 cup of pinto beans 1 flax muffin
    D of Ground turkey with Walden BBQ sauce Cole slaw with brocolli slaw
    Will have 1/2 orange later.
  • CALIECAT
    <3o:):D
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2014
    (*) GLAD I FOUND YOU GUYS

·
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Calliecat, have you checked with your local hospital for a diabetic education /nutrition class? My doctor suggested it was the best way to find a local class. I just started this week and have realized some of my food I thought were "healthy" were actually sugar bombs. It's a six week course so I look forward to learning more as I continue the class. I haven't rally counted carbs, just watched what I eat and try to keep carbs less than suggested by MFP. So, hope you have a good day & I hope this helps.
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2014
    Blood sugar reading for the week of 10/24/14 my goal is to have all of my days around 100 average by the first of the year when I am due for another lab work.
    7 days average115
    14 day average 120
    3o day average129
    Weight lost for this past week 1.8 lbs.

=last week== 198.7
    todays weight==196.9

Have a great day.
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    I am still watching my carbs real close
  • CALIECAT
    Still on trake
  • CALIECAT
    edited October 2014
    Morning blood sugar count 115 on track

Breakfast. Kroger vanaila diet milkshake coffee with hwc
    Lunch flax muffin 3 oz of pork pattie flax muffin tea
    Dinner bowl of Chile and beans tea
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    I've been practicing carb curbing ... but was still eating bread and pasta. I stopped eating the carbs I knew were simple ... like white potatoes and candy, baked desserts, ice cream. That helped some, but my weight would not budge until I decreased both the amount and type of carbs I eat.

There was a 6-week self-management course called 'Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions' at my town's Senior Center about Diabetes that I completed a couple of weeks ago. During that time, I changed my macros to be 50% of my calorie goals, with fat and proteing being 50/50 on the other half. I also limited my carbs to average 45 per meal and 15-20 for snacks ... it helped me drop some pounds and brought down my during the day readings but has had no affect on my high morning readings. I'm still not doing something right.
  • CALIECAT
    NK1112 wrote: »
    I've been practicing carb curbing ... but was still eating bread and pasta. I stopped eating the carbs I knew were simple ... like white potatoes and candy, baked desserts, ice cream. That helped some, but my weight would not budge until I decreased both the amount and type of carbs I eat.

There was a 6-week self-management course called 'Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions' at my town's Senior Center about Diabetes that I completed a couple of weeks ago. During that time, I changed my macros to be 50% of my calorie goals, with fat and proteing being 50/50 on the other half. I also limited my carbs to average 45 per meal and 15-20 for snacks ... it helped me drop some pounds and brought down my during the day readings but has had no affect on my high morning readings. I'm still not doing something right.

<3 (*) <3

nk1112

maybe it will take a while I have been missing from here for awhile but for now I am back
    I started a new diet called one one one diet, At each of my 3 meals I get........ 1 serving of protein, 1 servings of carbs, I servings of fats and all the lighter veggies I want. Snacks I get 1/2 of what I have at my regular meal.Working out pretty well.
    Marie

• Let us know how the new plan works out for you Marie! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited December 2014
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    NK1112 wrote: »

<3 (*) <3

nk1112

maybe it will take a while I have been missing from here for awhile but for now I am back
    I started a new diet called one one one diet, At each of my 3 meals I get........ 1 serving of protein, 1 servings of carbs, I servings of fats and all the lighter veggies I want. Snacks I get 1/2 of what I have at my regular meal.Working out pretty well.
    Marie

Marie ... I have lost 7 pounds since I wrote back in the end of October. My blood sugar fasting readings have improved ... from an average of 138 to an average of 125 for the morning fasting readings. I really don't know if it's the 7 pound loss or the reduction in pasta, bread, rice. Don't know how much affect my lowered carb intake was on these two ... however I intend to keep my carbs at below 50% of calories.

Good luck with your 1-1-1 plan. It sounds like a workable one ... how large are your servings for this plan?

NK1112

(PS .. edited for typos ... I blame spell check, but ya never know :)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    hookilau wrote: »
    Totally depends on the individual & what your goals are geared towards.

I'm 45 yrs old & I eat to my meter. If certain foods spike me beyond my goals, I first decrease the serving amount to see if I can make it fit my target BG's and if not, cut out altogether.

bloodsugar101.com is a great place to start. My goals are less than 140 mg/dl 1 hour PP, less than 120 mg/dl 2 hr PP and casual BG's around 100-110 mg/dl. I also aim for 88-96 mg/dl for fasting.

Good luck :drinker:

I've been learning to eat to my meter and doing so has really help me learn how various food affect my blood sugars.

Thanks for the bloodsugar101 website--I haven't seen that before & looking forward to reading through it.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    Your two-hour number is exactly what you want to see! Your peak (1 hour number) is a little high, but your fasting number is also a little high so that is to be expected. Eventually, your goal is to be under 140 (the magic danger number) at peak but that will come as you gather more information and make the necessary adjustments.

You may find that your body responds differently to the same amount of carbs at different times of the day. Personally, my insulin resistance is highest in the morning, so I need to be very very low carb for breakfast (5- 10 grams total carbs, not even net carbs) I can eat quite a few more for dinner though without going over my goals though.

Those meters are extremely helpful and it's wonderful that you've discovered the most valuable tool in your arsenal!

If you don't mind me "jumping" in here with a question regarding the 1-hour or 2-hour post-meal blood sugar measurement....

I do my post-meal blood sugar measurement at 2 hours after first bite since it takes me about an hour to finish my meal & figured I wouldn't get my peak until 30 minutes to an hour after my last bite. Do you think someone who takes an hour to finish eating should test at 1 hour after first bite or at 2 hours after first bite?

One of these days I hope to do an extended test (i.e. every 30 minutes after first bite up to 3 hours) over several meals to see what that looks like and then make adjustments based on that as to when to test.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    CALIECAT wrote: »
    Yes it was pretty good. I used turkey sausage in it and use oat fiber as a binder/ had green beans and tea with it and a apple.

This meatloaf sounds quite tasty--I'd like to try making this sometime.