Cauliflower Pizza-like-but-not-trying-to-be-pizza Bake

Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
Dvdlover posted a recipe that was roughly like this, and I was going to bump that thread but for the life of me I can't find the damn thing, so I'm not stealing his/her thunder and hereby duly give credit for the idea.

Now, I'm not a "cauliflower can be anything!!" person, but I do actually like using it as a base for stuff - I mean, is Cauliflower Cheese can be awesome, then adding more stuff can be more awesome, right?

So I'm not pretending that it's pasta, I'm not pretending it's potato - it's cauliflower, with some yummy stuff, baked. Nom.

So, the recipe:

800g, Cauliflower
10 medium, Mushrooms
150g, Green Capsicum Raw
1 container (700 gms) Passata
15 olives, Pitted Kalamata Olives
150g, Salami/Metwurst (I used kangaroo metwurst - regular will be more calories, so factor for it)
6 Anchovies
50g, Cheese - Romano or parmesan, finely shredded
100g, Light Cheddar Cheese shredded
Basil
Garlic
Oregano

Chop the cauliflower up and lightly boil it until it just starts to get tender. Chop up the mushies, capsicum, olives, salami and anchovies and mix them up in a big bowl with the passata, shredded tasty cheese, garlic, basil and oregano.

Drail the cauliflower and let it cool (or run it under cold water - but drain well). Mix it with the passata/vegie/cheese mix.

Spread it out into a large lasagne pan, top with the romano/parmesan cheese and at 180 til bubbly and golden brown.

Serves 6

Amount Per Serving with my ingredients:

Calories 257
Total Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrate 19g
Protein 19g
Sodium 988mg

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    that sounds really good!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Couldnt think of anything less appealing to be honest.....
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    I have seen a lot of what dvdlover posts and this...well, it needs pasta. I think dvdlover would agree.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    It sounds good. But I just have to say this: I don't understand for the life of me why everybody pisses themselves when someone calls a pasta alternative lasagna, pizza, spaghetti, whatever. Like I remember there was another thread where someone had a recipe for lasagna using zucchini noodles and a bunch of pasta nazis came in crying about how it "wasn't lasagna". Why are people so caught up on the name?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Why not? It's pizza-like. Just like the spinach version. Just like having pizza toppings on "oven-fried" eggplant slices. Yeah, it's not Pizza! but a tasty pizza-like substance.

Tasty, spinach-based pizza-like substance:
    fffadf86-1c91-4613-9df4-048a6668e86c_zps226842e7.jpg

Homemade pizza:
    d1a48bd4-3453-4c91-87a6-44074b4327a3_zps3c8a639d.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If I wanted recipes from dvdlover, I'd plagiarize them myself :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Is it tasty? I think so! Is it pizza? If course not! Would I serve it on game day? No, that would be like handing out apples and toothbrushes at Halloween! Would I prefer it with pasta? Actually, no. Im not a fan, to be honest.

It's a side dish. It's good with chicken. It's a vegetable, with pizza related ingredients mixed in. Never pretended it was anything but ;)

For the record I ate 3/4 of a peperoni and Italian sausage pizza for dinner last night. I had the calories left because I had a low calorie lunch... of cauliflower bake :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    i can make a real lasagna for about the same amount of calories per serving….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Why not? It's pizza-like. Just like the spinach version. Just like having pizza toppings on "oven-fried" eggplant slices. Yeah, it's not Pizza! but a tasty pizza-like substance.

Tasty, spinach-based pizza-like substance:
    fffadf86-1c91-4613-9df4-048a6668e86c_zps226842e7.jpg

Homemade pizza:
    d1a48bd4-3453-4c91-87a6-44074b4327a3_zps3c8a639d.jpg

key word used in your post is "substance' ….and I am sorry but that looks gross...
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    The funniest thing to me about these kinds of posts are the people bashing them. If you don't wanna make it or eat it then....don't....? The thread is useless to you, and you are useless to the thread, public forum or not. 'Course you can say what you want, but in the end, I'm still right. :lol:

Personally, I eat ALL the foods, and I dress them however I want, even if it's to make it taste "pizza-y". Sometimes I don't have the energy to work off the real thing, haven't planned accordingly, etc.. and then substitutions come in handy. Nothin' wrong with being creative. Using your imagination in the kitchen is a good quality to have too.

Thanks for the recipe! :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    The funniest thing to me about these kinds of posts are the people bashing them. If you don't wanna make it or eat it then....don't....? The thread is useless to you, and you are useless to the thread, public forum or not. 'Course you can say what you want, but in the end, I'm still right. :lol:

Personally, I eat ALL the foods, and I dress them however I want, even if it's to make it taste "pizza-y". Sometimes I don't have the energy to work off the real thing, haven't planned accordingly, etc.. and then substitutions come in handy. Nothin' wrong with being creative. Using your imagination in the kitchen is a good quality to have too.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Forums are there to invite opinion dear, not to write along one narrative. The 'dont like it, then dont comment on it' phrase is just the laziest that you can get.

Personally I write in this way in regards to such recipes as just because we are on MFP, everybody seems to suggest unusual recipes in the name of being low(ish) calorie. Not everybody on MFP is here to lose weight. Besides, my comment is just tongue in cheek anyway really....
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    I think this will taste awesome, I love cauliflower! Thanks for the recipe