Dr Hyman's 10 Day Detox?

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.
    Your mother is right. Isn't she always? Doncha hate that?

Just stop with the nonsense.

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    My mom said I should read this book about eating healthier and doing a 10 day detox. I've read some of it so far and I decided to give it a shot. I was in the grocery store for a good 2 or so hours making sure I had all the ingredients lol. Anyway I really think it can benefit me because I am a terrible eater. I can't seem to go a day without Dunkin donuts coffee or eating some kind of junk food. I just made the almond strawberry smoothie and it's not bad. I'm just very interested to see what will happen or not happen doing this diet. I do turbo fire/turbo jam every day with occasional Rockin body (but it just feels too easy so I'm not that into Rockin body). Has anyone tried this detox and what were your results and thoughts on it??

OP, To me detox implies a temporary solution or fix. Most people tend to just do a detox and return to their original eating habits. Plus, not all detoxes are healthy. Try making small positive changes and adjustments to your diet along the way. I also speak in favor of Dr. Hyman's work and studies. I recently saw a video from 2010 regarding his treatment of a young patient, the out come was quite astonishing.

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Definitely go ahead and do the detox. You'll feel so much better when you release the hold sugar and other crap has on you. Your body does not naturally detox. These people are wrong. What they are saying is like telling an alcoholic to "just drink less, you'll be fine" NO. You need to break the hold these toxic foods have on your body.

Oh, so you're a scientist, right?

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    I'm curious what hold sugar has over me?

Did it put a spell on me? Is it a witch?

Yes! Beware of the Sugar Witch! <insert spooky music> :scream:

http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Witch-Switch-Marcella-Ricker/dp/1480806927
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I don't want to quibble with dear old mom, but you cannot detoxify your body. Anything the body doesn't require, it either stores or gets rid of. A healthy body is very efficient and does these things constantly.

When your body cannot detoxify itself, you need a doctor, not a cleanse.

So, thank your mom for her advice, but don't waste your time or money on detoxes. And be careful with them if must do one, because some are dangerous.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I. Anything the body doesn't require, it either stores or gets rid of.

Damn! My body must sure require my As*
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Nah, that's where my body stores all the good stuff!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member

Every body loves your asp.

:wtf: :grinning:
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    My liver is laughing heartily at the person who said that the body does not "detox" naturally.

Normally she'd be cursing your name, but she's feeling smug this evening.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    My kidneys want nothing to do with these proceedings.

• KathyPerry70
    KathyPerry70 Posts: 40 Member
    Sometimes you need a little something to get yourself kick started into better habits. So that detox may be just the thing to give you the boost you need. As you've already prepared yourself for it, and it's only 10 days, go for it! I hope it goes well. Certainly couldn't hurt you. Commit to the 10 days and go for it!
  • DiabolicalColossus
    OP doesn't "need a kickstart".

She needs to hold herself accountable to the only person that matters: herself.

No "cleanse" or "detox" will help one do that.

Cleanses and detoxes CAN hurt people.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    What? I wish you could see the expression on my face right now.

With all due respect, you are wrong. So wrong. Your body is a natural mean detoxing machine and gets rid of waste just fine on it's own.

I can't believe you compare a alcoholism to your body holding "sugar and other crap has on you," to quote your own words.

Also, what does an alcoholic not drinking have to do with detoxing?

There seems to be a confusion here with the way people physically hooked on drugs may need to go through withdrawal when first coming off them, but I don't even think that's what these dumb food-related "detoxes" are supposed to be about.

Which is exactly my point when replying to the previous poster. :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Can we just go ahead and say that chocolate and beer are both like crack cocaine, and that is why I just cannot stop consuming either one of them...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Good grief. Eat less. Move more. That's the only magic formula to weight loss. Detox drinks, shakes, hocus pocus whatever is nothing but smoke and mirrors and ways to separate you from your money...if you believe that, there's this bridge a whole bunch of us have to sell you.

What??!! The devil, you say.
    /sarcasm
    This +1,000,000
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    WiXxM.gif

:D
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member

Nah, that's where my body stores all the good stuff!

Poo? :smiley: