How do I tell him what he says hurts?

So me and my husband have been together for 7 years come October 31st. And, we love each other very much, but for about the last year he has been saying hurtful things about my weight that he doesn't realize is causing me to be even more self-conscious that what I already was.

A perfect example;

He has a small little car, its a Nissan 240sx, two door, and really low to the ground. I won't get in his car with him, because every-time I do, he makes jokes about how the car is heavier on my side and pulling toward the right (the passenger side) because of the extra weight. Or he says, his car goes slower now and has a hard time picking up speed because it has to pull extra weight.

This is not the only time he says things like this, he'll say things like I need to lose weight because I am starting to look unattractive or that the reason I am so big is cause I eat as much as a cow. (Which I don't I only eat about 1,200 calories a day on avg).

Anyways, its getting to a point where every-time I think about losing weight now or try to, I have all of his remarks stuck in my head and I feel so ashamed that I don't want to go to the gym and I don't even want to be seen in public because I feel like people are judging me.

I've tried to talk to him in the past about it, and I'll start the conversation with something like "I really wish you wouldn't say that, or those things cause it hurts". And he usually replies with "You know I am just playing with you, I just worry about you and your health, and I want you to be around for years to come...it's called tough love", and then he say something like, "You take things to seriously, you need to relax a bit and learn to take a joke".

Anyways, I just don't know how to talk to him, without him making me feel like I am blowing it out of proportion. It's just what little motivation I seem to build up...his comments and remarks seems to make me lose it all.

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited October 2014
    How about 'I'm sorry, but your idea of a joke is not the same as mine. I find your comments disparaging and offensive. If you continue I will be forced to conclude that we are incompatible partners and seek alternative arrangements'.

Just because you've been married x number of years is no reason to be disrespectful.

He is trying to motivate you with ill advised 'humour' which possibly shows he may be concerned about your weight but really insecure and awkward addressing his concerns with you. If you have told him it is hurtful then any decent person should stop rather than blaming you for being 'over sensitive'

Or 'You're making it worse, dickhead!' But that's probably equally disrespectful and unlikely to resolve the issue.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    You say it through a process server
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    hes not joking and thats what he really thinks, but when you confront him about it he says its a joke. men........ ummm i would start by losing weight and than calling him fatty or not in shape and see how he feels
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Tough love is one thing, being a douche is another.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Maybe stop asking sweetly for him to stop and just punch him in the mouth? Seriously, tell him to shut the h*ll up and stop talking to you so disrespectfully.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    If you have told him that it's upsetting and discouraging you but he continues to do it the guy is a jerk. Lose weight if you are ready to do so but do it for yourself not him.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

I've tried to talk to him in the past about it, and I'll start the conversation with something like "I really wish you wouldn't say that, or those things cause it hurts". And he usually replies with "You know I am just playing with you, I just worry about you and your health, and I want you to be around for years to come...it's called tough love", and then he say something like, "You take things to seriously, you need to relax a bit and learn to take a joke".

Anyways, I just don't know how to talk to him, without him making me feel like I am blowing it out of proportion. It's just what little motivation I seem to build up...his comments and remarks seems to make me lose it all.

Two things:
    One:that type of behavior is called "gaslighting". It's extremely manipulative and abusive.
    It's one thing to joke when both people are amused- but when it's hurtful and you say so- and they respond back with "oh it's just a joke you're over reacting" they are wrong. Do some research on it- I swear to you - it's a real thing- and it's a SERIOUS problem.
    - Handle it- don't let it keep going.

Secondly:
    Do not let his comments manipulate you into giving up motivation. Focus on working on YOU and nothing else.

Thirdly (I lied- I have 3 things to say)
    It's okay if he really doesn't like the weight you've put on. I know I don't like the weight my BF has put on- physical attraction DOES matter. But- it's not the be all end all. He should be able to speak his mind- plainly without malice. You all should be able to have a conversation and be done with it. No need to nag or take jabs at you. Take his opinion in- be as objective as possible and process it- and move forward.

And you can tell him that- honey I understand- and I'm working on it- but you making snide jokes every time we turn around isn't helpful- it's actually extremely counter productive- so knock it the FK off.

(I'd also look up the weight capacity of his car- and then tell him to go eff off when you realize it can carry 2 large men with no problems. Facts don't lie. They tend to shut people up.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited October 2014
    As above. Don't let him walk all over you.
    I have an extremely stupid sense of humour, I like to take the piss out of people and when I go too far my partner simply lets me know and I desist and apologise.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    I am so sorry that you're going through that.... that is a total demotivator! He needs to realize that his "tough love" really sucks and is NOT working.

I love what @refuseresist said!

My boyfriend loves my body, I don't know why and I don't care. He calls me sexy and beautiful which makes me want to become even sexier and more beautiful. That's the way to do it.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    I don't care how long you've been married -- mean is mean!! You need to speak up and let him know to stop being a bully..then you need to do what is best for you. Eat your way, work out your way. Become the person you want to be. Bullies are that way because they lack selfconfidence and try to gain it by being mean. Push back!!! Speak up!!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    What everyone else said. But I just wanted to send you hugs, because, quite frankly, being stripped down to feel you're about 3 inches tall isn't fun, whether the other party appreciates that what they're saying to you is doing that or not..

It could simply be a matter of your husband not adapting to the fact that you may have changed since you met, in your personality, your physical appearance or your sensitivity to it. What may have been cheeky fun when you were younger, just isn't funny to you any more.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    He sounds like a jerk, you don;t need the negativity. If he was joking, he wouldn't be putting you down all the time. the remark about his car would be enough for me to want to punch him if he said that to me.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    meemo88 wrote: »
    hes not joking and thats what he really thinks, but when you confront him about it he says its a joke. men........ ummm i would start by losing weight and than calling him fatty or not in shape and see how he feels

Completely counterproductive... Situations like OP is going through is NOT best dealt with using the "fire with fire" approach.

I'd say make a written list, writing down every time he's made a comment like this. Make sure to record the date of the comment too. Then sit him down and show him how many times he's made hurtful comments and try to discuss them like adults. Let him know that what he's saying is not only hurtful, but it's keeping you from mentally being motivated to change. I know that we all are aware that you should be doing this for YOU and you ALONE. But when it's someone you love, that person can impact your decisions to do anything.

Also, OP: You say you love each other? His actions are completely contradicting that statement. If he really loved you, he would do anything in his power to make sure that you FEEL loved and he wouldn't make hurtful comments like he does.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    maybe you should acknowledge the issue... like say.. "I know I am overweight... IF you would like to be part of the solution I would appreciate that more than you constantly reminding me that I am overweight.

OF course YOU are also making excuses to NOT help yourself... any real change needs to come from within... He isn't going to stand there and force you to exercise and manage your diet... and if he does... then your next public whine is going to be what an *sshole he is being for constantly reminding you that you didn't exercise this day .. or that day... or he's now checking the girls out at the gym so why bother... YOU need to find the fire within... and let that be your motivator...
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    meemo88 wrote: »

Also, this statement is alarming to me... Unless you've met every man, then you have no basis to lay out such a blanket statement as if all men are this way.

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    If he's so worried about you physical health he should be worried about your mental health, too.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Bottom line what your husband is doing is verbal abuse. It is manipulative and abusive in nature. Time for him to learn how to be a human being and a man that knows how to talk to a woman. I suggest you have a discussion with him about it. If he can't treat you like a person deserves to be treated go to counseling first, then decide from there what is best for you.

Good luck.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Re: the car comment. Good come back would be; "My weight's not the problem. Your car is a P.O.S.. Get a real car." :D
  • karenlwhendrix
    karenlwhendrix Posts: 8 Member
    I am also married to a fairly insensitive guy. He doesn't make remarks about my weight (for his own safety probably :p ), but he does say and do things that hurt or feel neglectful.

I have found that I first have to make sure that I'm taking care of myself. Too many times, I've tried to find my worth in his remarks and reactions. Don't do that. Yes, marriage is about relying on and trusting each other, among other things. But both parties have to be whole and healthy to contribute fully. Many times - the problem isn't me, it's him. He's gone through times that his own self worth is in question. Career changes, getting older, financial concerns - they can all wear on us and make us act out to our partners.

Second - try to approach the subject at a time when emotions are not running high. Trying to have a conversation when you are upset doesn't lead to anything except defensive remarks and fighting. Especially if he can't even admit that he's doing something wrong.

Marriage is a journey. Good times and bad. Try to stick it out if you think the relationship is worth saving. The last three years of my 12 year marriage have been rocky and questionable, but we're finally getting back to a good place. Just make sure that your self-worth comes from you and nobody else. Nothing influences people and relationships like confidence does.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    He's your husband he's meant to love and support you plus treat you with respect. If it was me then Id just tell him and point out this behaviour was upsetting you and youd like him to support you rather than carrying on with the wisecracks which you find hurtful.

He either does or he doesnt. If he doesnt stop, then you have the sum of the person and how much he really cares. I wouldnt really have time to someone who wont listen and is willing to engage in behaviour which upsets you. You need to pick that moment. As pointed out he is menat to love you and his behaviour wouldnt seem to point that way.

If you cant have a mature conversation with him, then write him a letter and hand it to him and be willing to discuss if he understood it and whether he will change his behaviour.

Last night I was reading a thread called revenge started off by a poster whose husband had asked for a divorce maybe due to her weight. The OP lost a lot of weight and you can see the very impressive pictures, but the most fantastic thing was her attitude and the way she went about it. Very smart and instead of a negative revenge story it was one of triumph where she rethought her life, found incredible determination, focus and purpose on her weight loss journey. It seemed to be the catalyst that made her get to a much happier place.

It was in the motivation section. You will see what is possible and whether you decide to lose weight or not theres an example of someone who did it and you cna use as inspiration. Your husband sounds like a jerk, which is a different matter, so dont confuse the two.