Book Recommendations ?

myheartsabattleground
myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
Currently I'm re-reading "how to win friends and influence people for teen girls" by Donna Dale Carnegie. Next I'll move on to "The Unwanteds" by Lisa McMann. My favorite books are "Harry Potter", "Eragon", "LOTR" (I got into it, but the whole HP vs LOTR thing...), "The Bobsey Twins" by Laura Lee Hope, "Series of Unfortunate Events" By Daniel Handler aka Lemony Snicket and "The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" by CS Lewis.

There are many other books including James and the Giant Peach, and Maniac Magee that I also enjoyed.

Replies

• holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Holes, and The Book Thief are great too
  • holagatita
    Brandon Mull has the Fablehaven series. If you like fantasy
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    I always thought Eragon was a good bridge between C.S. Lewis' A Horse and His Boy and LOTR.

You might like some of Brandon Sanderson's books - specifically his Mistborn series.

I'll think about it, but I have a few more I can recommend.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    holagatita wrote: »
    Holes, and The Book Thief are great too

I've read holes in school. LOVED it.
  • RiseandGrind77
    RiseandGrind77 Posts: 54 Member
    If you want to mix it up with some non-fiction I recommend A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
  • holagatita
    Try Gone Girl i loved it
  • smb0421
    smb0421 Posts: 37
    smoke gets in your eyes and other lessons from the crematory by caitlin doughty
  • einnyen
    einnyen Posts: 6 Member
    The Wheel of Time epic by Robert Jordan is good, really good, maybe even great. And it would keep you in reading materials for... Months, potentially years.

If you like science Something Deeply Hidden by Sean Carroll is amazing, as is Brian Greene's Until The End of Time. These are both physics PhDs who do a great job breaking down extremely complicated concepts into something anyone can digest.

If you like sci-Fi, Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Fringe series is really good.
    Ancillary Justice by Ann Lecke is amazing, and also Sci-Fi.

I hope you find something to read you love.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    I always thought Eragon was a good bridge between C.S. Lewis' A Horse and His Boy and LOTR.

You might like some of Brandon Sanderson's books - specifically his Mistborn series.

I'll think about it, but I have a few more I can recommend.

Necro thread....

But I'm gonna have to second the bolded!
    Just listened to Legion and that was great too. I'm slowly developing a Brandon Sanderson obsession.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Not sure what age group we're recommending? But I'm almost done Nowhere Girl by Cheryl Diamond and it's unbelievable. A memoir and it's amazing what some families go through.