Fitness is a Skill

Options
Excellent article by one of the founders of Fitocracy, Mr.Talens. He is also the "former fat kid" and now in amazing shape.

This is something we all forget in our quest to lose weight.

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/fitness-is-a-skill/?utm_source=swu&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content-skills

Replies

• rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thank you...very good article.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sixpacklady: Thanks for sharing! It was a great article with some vital information packed within. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article and absolutely bang on the money. I'd reached that way of thinking just by common sense. I hope people read it and understand he's showing people the essential ingredients and mindset that will help them succeed before they rush off and burn out.

Thanks for posting six pack.
  • amandacolaizzi
    amandacolaizzi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't usually read articles. However, I am so glad that I read this one! thank you for sharing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Those with a growth mindset believe that success is reliant upon improving their different skill sets. That is, through hard work, learning, and experience, these people can improve their success in different facets of life.

Some subjects, like riding a bicycle, are universally seen through a “growth” lens.
    If you fell and scraped your knee the first time you attempted riding a bike, you wouldn’t say “Something is horribly wrong with me. I don’t have the willpower and discipline required to ride my bike.” would you?

That would be silly. Instead, you’d realize that you just haven’t fully developed that skill yet. You’d think about why you fell. Perhaps you didn’t know how to navigate your bike through new terrain, such as a bumpy road or a patch of grass.

Unlike riding a bicycle, however, fitness is almost always seen through the lens of a “fixed mindset.” When people slip up on their diets, they automatically beat themselves up for being undisciplined and lazy, rather than think about why they slipped up and how to prevent this same mistake in the future.

Unfortunately, those with a fixed mindset try to “brute force” their success with willpower, which is a recipe for failure. That’s because willpower is a finite resource; relying on it will not lead to success.

I try and I try and I try to get this very point through to so many people...it is so true, but so difficult for people to grasp for some reason. Great article and bang on. I guess being a former competitive athlete, I've always viewed fitness this way...I just wish I could make more people see and understand this. It really is key to long term success, health, and overall well being.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons i find this process interesting is im learning and improving all the time. One of the bonkers things people do is beat up on themselves which hardly ever achieves anything. If you fall out with yourself you dont really have anywhere to go.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Bumping this amazing info...
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Awesome article and I totally relate to it. My early life was filled with yo yo dieting and exercise regimes between me and my mom. It always ALWAYS ended with all the weight back on and a "I'm just not meant to do this" feeling. Fast forward to a year ago. I decide to research everything I could on weight loss. Articles like this one stuck out the most. I reinforced the "get back up on the bike/horse" mentality and am now 80 lbs lighter. Its a long and bumpy road (I have 260 lbs to lose), but if there's anything I've enjoyed the most about this its the learning aspect of it :) I know more about myself and my habits now than I ever have before.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    YES
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Great article. Also the hyperlinked article within that article about binge eating was a very good read as well. Thanks for sharing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    YES

This discussion has been closed.