How to deal with living with someone who

2»

Replies

• Just move out.
    lol no
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Sounds like the roommate needs to join you in healthy eating! Find recipes and snacks that will make everyone happy.

I made oatmeal & banana muffins to satisfy my sweet tooth - there are tons of gluten free/sugar free recipes out there, Pinterest has them all

But the room mate is happy now.

You cant make someone else eat healthy - or your version of healthy.

Realistically OP needs to find ways to change what she can for herself - forget trying to change the room mate.

No need for OP to avoid gluten either, as far as I can see.

are you the roommate :o

Of course I am not the room mate.

What a silly question

What I said still stands - room mate is happy with status quo and does not need to change just because OP is changing - so OP needs to concentrate on what she can change , not on how to change the room mate, as your post suggested.

Op also does not need to avoid gluten, nothing in her post suggests a gluten intolerance issue.

Typically a roommate serves as a support system - thats the only reason why I suggested working together to create an environment that works for the both of them.

As far as my gluten free/sugar free statement - don't get stuck on that because I have a gluten issue and many of the recipes I use are also "sugar free"

But it already works for the boyfriend... He doesn't have to get healthy or the desire to right now.
    OP - you are always going to have temptations. You may go out to eat with friends who order temptations, go to parties, or live with family and it's not realistic to except them to change what they are doing. Build up willpower now, remind yourself what the benefits are to not eating them. Or maybe set aside a meal where you'll let yourself have something once a week.
    I have a husband, 13 year old stepson, and 2 year old. I cook and grocery shop, but I can't expect them to change or eat exactly how I eat or only eat the snacks I like.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    edited October 2014
    I live with my family right now so I know what you're going through lol. Although I've come a long way since January I do still have "trigger foods". Right now there's a homemade pineapple upside down cake sitting on the counter, so I've pretty much refused to look at it every time I go in the kitchen. Get what I need/pre-logged, and get out! This doesn't mean I don't treat myself when I have the available macros, but when it comes to things like that cake.... I can and would eat the whole thing, even knowing it was made with half a bag of brown sugar and two sticks of butter.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    FayeandBo wrote: »
    Just move out.
    lol no
    Ohhhh I get it now.
    Just break up.
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    How on earth can you eat paleo with no meat???

Anyway I would just ask him to try not to eat it right in front of you. He can go in another room, it shouldnt be that huge of a deal.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited October 2014
    The truth is that we are affected by our environments and willpower and self-control aren't really the best things to rely on. Keep having conversations with your boyfriend and see what compromises you can work out. You deserve to have a living situation that helps you be healthy and happy. It's important that you take your health seriously and help your boyfriend to do so as well.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    penny0919 wrote: »

Anyway I would just ask him to try not to eat it right in front of you. He can go in another room, it shouldnt be that huge of a deal.

Like a timeout? What kind of bizarro world is this where someone can't eat food in front of someone else? Cripes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Just move out.
    lol no

Well just break up then. I can understand not wanting to increase your living costs by moving out.
    or kill.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I personally, make room in my allotment daily for a treat or snack (chocolate). Therefore, this is never an issue.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Just move out.
    lol no

Well just break up then. I can understand not wanting to increase your living costs by moving out.
    or kill.

And bury him with his snacks
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member

Seriously, that was more disconcerting to me than someone eating food in front of her that she can't have.

I just sat at the dinner table and had tortellini with no sauce, because it was just too much sodium for me, but the other 3 members of my family all had sauce. I didn't ask them to stop doing that in front of me. I just ate my food and had an extra helping of broccoli.

Once my kids are in bed I'm having a brownie and popcorn that they can't have. :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    eats all your favorite craving inspiring mouth watering unhealthy foods in front of you every day? I don't want to tell him to not eat those things but it's getting hard to just watch him...
    Been there! Before I tried portion control, I'd drool and inevitably give in and have a whole big heaping cup/bowl or whatever the heck it was! :smiley: Then, I'd be soooo :grimacing: at myself for days on end.

Well, now that I portion control, I have the choice of whether to have a serving or not. If so, I log it. If not, I move on.

• jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    eats all your favorite craving inspiring mouth watering unhealthy foods in front of you every day? I don't want to tell him to not eat those things but it's getting hard to just watch him...
    I'm in the same boat.

Two things....

Keep them out of sight (put away in the cupboard)

Resisting them will empower you. It makes me feel like I conquered something when I can pass on that stuff.

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Something happened to me when I started eating low carb.

My partner is constantly eating chips, lollies, nuts etc. Like every night. The drawers in the loungeroom coffee table have a huge stash. I don't even think about it, nor am I tempted. Not once in 6 months. And I was a binge eater completely controlled by food for over 20 years. I sit next to him on the couch, he munches away happily, we talk and watch TV and I don't even really notice his food. Same when he buys pizza for him and the kids. Doesn't really interest me.

This, to me, was a miracle. To finally be free of the hold this stuff had over me.
  • LadyOdd
    LadyOdd Posts: 26 Member
    My fiance is like that too, he can eat anything he wants with no problem. I cannot, and like you don't want to deny him his favorite foods or snacks. I have been trying to find ways to incorporate the same meals just with portion control like others have mentioned.
    Also when he is snacking around me I just have my own snacks. I'm diabetic so I just found the kind of snacks I like and can actually eat. So while he sits snacking away on his box of ferrero roche's (which I love) I instead have an almond and dark chocolate chocorite bar. Low sugar and calories. It works for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    I deal with it by joining him if it fits into my daily macros/calories. Duh.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member

Seriously, that was more disconcerting to me than someone eating food in front of her that she can't have.

I just sat at the dinner table and had tortellini with no sauce, because it was just too much sodium for me, but the other 3 members of my family all had sauce. I didn't ask them to stop doing that in front of me. I just ate my food and had an extra helping of broccoli.

Once my kids are in bed I'm having a brownie and popcorn that they can't have. :laugh:

Our popcorn popper just pooped out :( No popcorn for me tonight :(
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I deal with it by joining him if it fits into my daily macros/calories. Duh.

But what if it doesn't? DUH.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    shai74 wrote: »
    Something happened to me when I started eating low carb.

My partner is constantly eating chips, lollies, nuts etc. Like every night. The drawers in the loungeroom coffee table have a huge stash. I don't even think about it, nor am I tempted. Not once in 6 months. And I was a binge eater completely controlled by food for over 20 years. I sit next to him on the couch, he munches away happily, we talk and watch TV and I don't even really notice his food. Same when he buys pizza for him and the kids. Doesn't really interest me.

This, to me, was a miracle. To finally be free of the hold this stuff had over me.

This sounds like me (similar 20 year binge eater) although accomplished for me just by lowering carb and increasing fat protein (eating 150-200g carb and about 80-130g protein and the rest fat). So I think you can get these benefits without going full out low carb. I really think upping fat has been a big part of it.