4 Liters of Diet Soda Per Day to 1/2 Liter Per Day

Replies

• dieselbyte wrote: »
    behanar wrote: »
    For anyone doubting the Impact of Diet sodas on your weight please have a look at a documentary called Fed UP. Here is a link to a trailer... Its pretty compelling stuff IMO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5dmnzkPzY

Interesting... post a flawed and incorrect statement about how limiting DIET soda (with no added sugar) is the only reason you lost weight. Then post a movie trailer to support your claim. HOWEVER, the movie in question points to added sugar (calories) and excess calories through fast foods as the main culprit to obesity. I fail to see how this "movie" supports your claim on diet soda?

The fact is excess calories leads to weight gain. Lack of exercise along with excess calories will lead to a host of health issues. Sugar isn't the cause of all problems. And the fact that you've given up DIET soda and claim this is the only reason you lost weight just isn't true. Congrats on your weight loss, but your perceived reasons for that loss are highly skewed and irresponsible.

I dont mean to sound ignorant on the subject and I am sure you are educated on the subject , however I would ask that you watch the whole Film before passing judgement.

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    For anyone doubting the Impact of Diet sodas on your weight please have a look at a documentary called Fed UP. Here is a link to a trailer... Its pretty compelling stuff IMO

documentaries are extremely one-sided and biased, they have an agenda. Not a good source.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »

Interesting... post a flawed and incorrect statement about how limiting DIET soda (with no added sugar) is the only reason you lost weight. Then post a movie trailer to support your claim. HOWEVER, the movie in question points to added sugar (calories) and excess calories through fast foods as the main culprit to obesity. I fail to see how this "movie" supports your claim on diet soda?

The fact is excess calories leads to weight gain. Lack of exercise along with excess calories will lead to a host of health issues. Sugar isn't the cause of all problems. And the fact that you've given up DIET soda and claim this is the only reason you lost weight just isn't true. Congrats on your weight loss, but your perceived reasons for that loss are highly skewed and irresponsible.

I dont mean to sound ignorant on the subject and I am sure you are educated on the subject , however I would ask that you watch the whole Film before passing judgement.

You are totally missing the point... Have a good day

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Congrats on improving your heath, all the way around! Keep it up.
  • I used to be a soda lover. I kept hearing about all these people that didn't drink it anymore and because I was addicted, I thought to myself it would never be possible to give it up. I always knew that it was bad for me (diet soda or regular) but when I started wanting to lose weight a nutritionist told me that carbonated beverages expand your stomach when you drink them and slow your metabolism to a crawl for HOURS at a time. So every time you eat something alongside a soda (or for a couple of hours after you've had one) your food just sits in your system and turns to fat. Since I was usually drinking one with a fast food meal the thought of all those calories just sitting there made me feel sick! That info combined with the knowledge of how bad the sugar and chemicals are for your body changed it for me. Once in a while I will enjoy a "fancy" root beer but that's about it. I don't crave it or miss it anymore and its funny to me that I don't enjoy the taste. I thought that day would never come!

Very awesome that you are eliminating it slowly from your diet. Keep on keeping on :)
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    edited October 2014
    According to research The sugar substitute or sweeteners in diet sodas go straight into the liver turning it to Insulin (Fat)
    Sugar substitutes do not "turn" into insulin, any more than dietary fat turns into plutonium.

• nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Agusita19 wrote: »
    I always knew that it was bad for me (diet soda or regular) but when I started wanting to lose weight a nutritionist told me that carbonated beverages expand your stomach when you drink them and slow your metabolism to a crawl for HOURS at a time. So every time you eat something alongside a soda (or for a couple of hours after you've had one) your food just sits in your system and turns to fat. Since I was usually drinking one with a fast food meal the thought of all those calories just sitting there made me feel sick!

What the? I can't even. You need to find a new nutritionist...
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    There are recent studies that suggest that artificial sweeteners can alter the biology of the stomach and intestines, lowering the quantities of good bacteria (probiotics) that help your digestive system move along smoothly. I cut out all artificial sweeteners about a week ago and started eating yogurt that has "live and active cultures" of probiotic bacteria. I woke up this morning to a 2.6lb weight loss since my last weigh in last week, whereas I'm normally losing less than 1.5 lbs / week. Might be coincidence but it's made a heck of a difference in how I feel, too. Besides the studies I've mentioned, there are many that correlate diet sodas with an increase in waist line. Without firmly knowing the reason why, and taking into account other possible reasons, I applaud your quitting of diet sodas and I bet you'll see improved results!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Agusita19 wrote: »
    I used to be a soda lover. I kept hearing about all these people that didn't drink it anymore and because I was addicted, I thought to myself it would never be possible to give it up. I always knew that it was bad for me (diet soda or regular) but when I started wanting to lose weight a nutritionist told me that carbonated beverages expand your stomach when you drink them and slow your metabolism to a crawl for HOURS at a time. So every time you eat something alongside a soda (or for a couple of hours after you've had one) your food just sits in your system and turns to fat. Since I was usually drinking one with a fast food meal the thought of all those calories just sitting there made me feel sick! That info combined with the knowledge of how bad the sugar and chemicals are for your body changed it for me. Once in a while I will enjoy a "fancy" root beer but that's about it. I don't crave it or miss it anymore and its funny to me that I don't enjoy the taste. I thought that day would never come!

Very awesome that you are eliminating it slowly from your diet. Keep on keeping on :)

I've had a diet soda with dinner almost every night for the past 5-6 months. I'm losing weight fine. Try again.
  • I am watching this documentary. It says calorie counting is bogus, that "a calorie is not a calorie" and that "we are not going to exercise our way out of obesity".

I am watching a bit further, see what their solution is.

As for diet coke, I used to drink 2 L a day and stopped. My doctor said that stopping it would not make me lose weight and she was right. However diet coke is bad for ME (not saying it is bad for other people) because the caffeine disrupted my sleep patterns, my teeth became very sensitive to cold/hot and I usually ate a lot of calorie dense food alongside it. And... it is so darn expensive!

I am happy I stopped. Sleeping better and making a conscious effort to stop something that is perceived as bad for you can put you in the right mindset to lose weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    corinic91 wrote: »
    Okay, I've always been confused about this. Diet soda has zero calories, so why does it cause weight gain? (if it actually does)...

According to research The sugar substitute or sweeteners in diet sodas go straight into the liver turning it to Insulin (Fat)

Can you reference this research as everything I have seen indicates that this is completely incorrect.
  • Oh and the documentary does say that when drinking soda, since it has no fiber, the sugar is absorbed immediately and your blood sugar rises. The liver gets a big sugar rush and it has no choice but to turn it into fat immediately.
  • Sarauk2sf
    ilibc wrote: »
    Oh and the documentary does say that when drinking soda, since it has no fiber, the sugar is absorbed immediately and your blood sugar rises. The liver gets a big sugar rush and it has no choice but to turn it into fat immediately.

The post is about diet soda.
  • Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Oh and the documentary does say that when drinking soda, since it has no fiber, the sugar is absorbed immediately and your blood sugar rises. The liver gets a big sugar rush and it has no choice but to turn it into fat immediately.

Happy you spelled it out for me. It's not like I had read the title or anything.
    By the way, this post was not an answer to your post but something I added as an afterthought to my previous post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Happy you spelled it out for me. It's not like I had read the title or anything.
    By the way, this post was not an answer to your post but something I added as an afterthought to my previous post.

You are welcome.

• Since you started this by stating the obvious I will end this by stating the obvious: I was not thanking you. :)
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Since you started this by stating the obvious I will end this by stating the obvious: I was not thanking you. :)

26a420cfbaf5460f_image.png.xxxlarge.jpg
  • Yeah next time I'll find a witty image created by somebody else. It seems to be all the the rage these days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Since you started this by stating the obvious I will end this by stating the obvious: I was not thanking you. :)

No way.....really?

oops, my bad.

Oh, and by the way, the comment that sugar turns immediately into fat is not correct.
  • And don't think it is true either. This documentary (the one the OP is talking about) also says that a "calorie is not a calorie" and that calorie out versus calories in is bogus. They do not support any of this with real evidence and seem to think that we should believe them just because it is a documentary.