Not sure why my FBS was so high this morning

LadyOdd
LadyOdd Posts: 26 Member
Hi everyone! So I have been doing better with my fbs but this morning it was 143. I don't take any medication. But it is generally below 130. I am not sure why so high today when i felt I had a good day yesterday. I ate below my calories and carbs. I walked around the grocery store and even did some exercise at home. I did take a 5 hour energy yesterday but it was sugar free and I didn't figure that would affect it. My diary is open if anyone wants to look and see if they see what I may have done wrong. Just looking for any advice. Thanks!

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Sorry, I saw your post in the other thread and responded there. That's good you are off meds. I take one 500 mg of Metformin a day.

Are you stressed? Sick? Get enough sleep? There are many other things that effect our blood sugar. Just some ideas.

The more I've been pushing myself with exercise every week the lower my numbers are getting. I was 90 this morning.
  • LadyOdd
    LadyOdd Posts: 26 Member
    I have never been on medication and I am hoping that when i get my A1C done in december it will be low enough that they won't put me on anything.

It was a regular day, not sick, slept worked out some, no stress. It must just have been one of those days.

I think if I do more exercising that will really help. Trying to work up to more. Thanks for your reply. :)
  • It's great that you're trying to figure out what might have caused the elevated blood sugar reading. Sometimes the reason for a higher number than usual is clear, and sometimes not. The good thing is that you're testing, changing your habits, and actively paying attention to your health. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    There's also something called dawn phenomenon that can cause high numbers in the morning.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Articles/Diabetes-Definitions/dawn_phenomenon/
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    There's also something called dawn phenomenon that can cause high numbers in the morning.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Articles/Diabetes-Definitions/dawn_phenomenon/

Good article ... gotta test in the middle of the night. Like it says, (paraphrase0 If it's high at 3 AM, it's probably dawn phenomenon. It it's low, it's probably rebound effect.

Either way, my cardiologist/primary care physician is not concerned. He is more concerned with what the reading are 2 hours after a meal as compared to before, and what the A1c turns out to be. His answer ... get up and get moving around and that will help bring it down, eat your breakfast and take your morning meds. My numbers are usually about 140 in the morning ... it might be a very different case with him if they were 170.
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Make sure your hands are clean (ie. no lotions etc). Also, sometimes I get a number that does not seem right so I test again to double check. The last time I did this my initial number was in the 50s. Since I felt fine, I tested again and it showed in the mid 80s.