Anyone else waiting for marriage equality?

Replies

• We are waiting for it down here in Florida.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    neekie88 wrote: »
    We are waiting for it down here in Florida.

I think you are closer than us. It kills me that conservative states like Wyoming and Utah have it before Michigan and Ohio, which are more moderate. Michigan's AG says he will appeal all the way to the supreme court if the 6th circuit rules in our favor. Unfortunately, hardly anyone knows he even has an opponent next month who will immediately stop the appeals.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I'm from New Mexico originally and an old high school friend got married to her partner there last year - the first gay couple in the county. And it was brilliant, not just seeing how happy she was, but also hearing how it went down (in an 'in your face' kind of way).

Because when the bigots see people getting equal rights and they speak up and share their stupidity, everybody gets to see just how crazy and meaningless their bigotry really is.

New Mexico had a couple of court cases in different counties that okayed gay marriage - without making any new laws - because the state had gender neutral marriage laws, the way it was written, so it shouldn't be illegal. Some of the other counties start writing marriage licenses right away, even though the decisions didn't affect their county specifically.

My old county, though, WAS in the set of counties where a decision was made that gay marriage was legal. And still, the county wouldn't give my friend and her wife-to-be a license. They had to take it to court (which thankfully was decided in less than a week).

The best part was when the judge is listening to the arguments. He didn't seem to care one way or the other UNTIL the county gave its arguments. The #1 argument - the paperwork for the marriage certificate that the courts had only had male-female options, so they couldn't possibly issue a marriage license. 0.o

The judge's response was perfect, disgusted look on his face and all. "In this state, oddly enough, we make decisions based on the actual law rather than what our forms have printed on them."

Kodak moment, seriously.

• jobrandes
    jobrandes Posts: 136 Member
    Yeah!! NV we can now do it. Just waiting for the perfect time!
  • peacehawk
    shaumom wrote: »
    I'm from New Mexico originally and an old high school friend got married to her partner there last year - the first gay couple in the county. And it was brilliant, not just seeing how happy she was, but also hearing how it went down (in an 'in your face' kind of way).

Because when the bigots see people getting equal rights and they speak up and share their stupidity, everybody gets to see just how crazy and meaningless their bigotry really is.

New Mexico had a couple of court cases in different counties that okayed gay marriage - without making any new laws - because the state had gender neutral marriage laws, the way it was written, so it shouldn't be illegal. Some of the other counties start writing marriage licenses right away, even though the decisions didn't affect their county specifically.

My old county, though, WAS in the set of counties where a decision was made that gay marriage was legal. And still, the county wouldn't give my friend and her wife-to-be a license. They had to take it to court (which thankfully was decided in less than a week).

The best part was when the judge is listening to the arguments. He didn't seem to care one way or the other UNTIL the county gave its arguments. The #1 argument - the paperwork for the marriage certificate that the courts had only had male-female options, so they couldn't possibly issue a marriage license. 0.o

The judge's response was perfect, disgusted look on his face and all. "In this state, oddly enough, we make decisions based on the actual law rather than what our forms have printed on them."

Kodak moment, seriously.

Love that. In Michigan, the big argument is about marriage being important for the state to regulate procreation. you would think that means that older people, or barren couples also can't get married, but nope, only us queers can't procreate.

One argument was also the forms though. in the Deboer-Rowse case though, Oakland County Clerk, Lisa Brown, who was a defendant in the case was brilliant. she said, yup, I'm wrong for not issuing them a marriage license, but I have to follow the law and I've already submitted a gender neutral form to the state for approval, but they refused it. She also said that she was eager and willing to issue marriage licenses as soon as she can. Oakland county was one of 4 counties in Michigan that opened for Saturday hours to get people married. My sister and her wife were one of around 360 couples married that day. They got their license in Oakland County. The licenses were hand altered to be gender neutral.

I live in Genesee County. The county commissioners refused to allow our county clerk to open that day. My partner and I were in his office, after hours when the ruling went through. He was really heartbroken that he couldn't issue a license then and there. Now he is being sued by a couple for not recognizing their out of state marriage. He is upset and out of frustration, he filed a response to get the suit dropped. He is now catching crap from his own party from that. He is a democrat, and has been late to being on board with marriage equality, but now that he is in, he is very committed and his feelings are hurt by the lawsuit. He has become a friend through this experience.

We are anxiously awaiting equality.
  • peacehawk
    jobrandes wrote: »
    Yeah!! NV we can now do it. Just waiting for the perfect time!

Woo Hoo!
  • peacehawk
    Sad tonight, listening to election results. May have to eat my grief in baby carrots.
  • const1ar
    const1ar Posts: 18 Member
    My partner and I are getting married in December in Chicago. We also live in Michigan, and were planning to move to a state with marriage equality but fate has given us a new direction. I trust that Michigan and the rest of the county will not be far behind, it is only a matter of time.
  • peacehawk
    Mourning in Michigan today. The appeals court ruled against us. I'm headed to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Flint to regroup, party and plan the next step. If you are in the area, come on over.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    My wife and I got married in D.C. in May, on our 10th anniversary of being together. Then we came back home to Georgia and lost all our rights as we crossed state borders.

I am confident, though, that marriage equality will be the law of the land before long. Unfortunately, backward states like Georgia will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into it, just as they were with civil rights in the 1960's.

In the meantime, we had wills, healthcare proxies, and powers of attorney drawn up by our lawyer, so we have some protection (though even with these documents, it is not absolute). Of course, this was all so much more expensive than being able to just go to the local court and pay $15 for a marriage license! But I wouldn't change it for the world. We had a lovely, private ceremony that I will treasure forever. :smile:
  • peacehawk
    :) soon. Soon. (I hope)
  • PattieCakes25
    PattieCakes25 Posts: 30 Member
    My wife and I got a domestic partnership in Florida September 12. Then we had a small ceremony here in Tennessee.
    In our eyes, we are married, and for us that was all that mattered. It would be nice to have the legal things down though, unfortunately Tennessee will not be passing that law ANY time soon. Recently I read a story about people trying to pass a law to make sure it doesn't come here. Thankfully it wasn't passed, but still.
    South Carolina passed it the other day, and we've debated on going there to get officially married.
    What sucks the most though is that we work together, different departments, but together. When guests come in, they start talking about things to do in town, or things they've done. So many times the both of us want to talk about things we've done together, the cruise we did for our honeymoon, or getting married in general. The one time we did, we got stared at like we were disgusting. It would be nice to be able to openly talk about my relationship. Fortunately though, so far, when we've gone to a Dr or something, they've understood and shared information. Luckily, neither of us have needed to go to a hospital, because I know that would be a nightmare.
    It'd be nice to have it here in Tennessee, but unfortunately that doesn't look likely in the close future, but you never know.
  • onemoc
    onemoc Posts: 35 Member
    so right now- here in ks- we can legally get married, however the state is has one more pending court case that may they would argue would null and void the ones already done. I'm hopefull and saving up for that ring either way.
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    I feel like it will be a long time from now in Texas to be legal. Though we had a wedding 11 years ago, it may snow in Hell before it's legal here, unless the fed courts override the states.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    I have been with my husband for 14 years. We got married in CT, and have recently moved to Florida where marriage equality is not recognized. We are anxiously waiting January 5, 2015 to see whether Florida will have marriage equality or it will go to SCOTUS for a final decision. It is unfortunate that our Attorney General Pam Bondi and our Governor Rick Scott have done everything in their power to block marriage equality. They continue to waste taxpayers money on this. Hopefully 2015, Florida truly will be the Sunshine State.
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    I am also closely watching florida in the next few weeks. We live in Texas but are going on a cruise out of Florida in April. Trying to keep options open in case opportunity presents itself.
  • blt3a
    blt3a Posts: 1
    Ugh it feels like Tennessee will never grant it. It's being challenged in court and it looks like the supreme court will have to hear it. Why can't we just nationalize it already?
  • Leslie4923
    Leslie4923 Posts: 4 Member
    rebolaugh wrote: »
    My wife and I were legally married in New York. However, we recently relocated to Missouri (for professional and financial reasons as well as to be closer to family). I don't think marriage equality is coming to this state for a long time, and it's weird to have people look at me strangely when I mention "my wife" (they're not being mean, they are just genuinely confused. I have to relearn to say "my partner," I guess!).

Don't you dare! She IS your wife, whether they think so or not, you ARE legally married, which thank goodness is federally recognized now. So whether the people of Missouri are quick enough to catch on or not is not your problem, although I have to say that I know how you feel sometimes it is exhausting to have to be the educator for everyone. Good luck to you, I hope you are enjoying being around family! What a great reason to move :)
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    My wife and I were legally married in August in Maryland we live in North Carolina. In October it became legal here!! It is an amazing thing!!
  • peacehawk
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    I have been with my husband for 14 years. We got married in CT, and have recently moved to Florida where marriage equality is not recognized. We are anxiously waiting January 5, 2015 to see whether Florida will have marriage equality or it will go to SCOTUS for a final decision. It is unfortunate that our Attorney General Pam Bondi and our Governor Rick Scott have done everything in their power to block marriage equality. They continue to waste taxpayers money on this. Hopefully 2015, Florida truly will be the Sunshine State.

Congratulations Florida!