"Counting calories is sad"...

I'm not saying it is, don't all jump on me yet!

Today I was logging what I had for breakfast, and a friend saw what I saw doing. He asks: "What's that?". I reply, "It's Myfitnesspal, it helps me track my caloric intake". He then laughs which I found rude and said, "That's just sad".

It's comments like these which really grind my gears, it's just so inconsiderate. , how do you deal with them?

Replies

• I don't. Not worth my effort to rebuff jerks. I've lost 45 lbs in 4.5 months using MFP so I guess I've proven to myself that it works. Haters gonna hate :wink:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    You sure they are a friend?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Just tell him wait 6 months (or whatever) compare your appearance to his and see who's sad.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Semi-certain. He's known for annoying everyone to the point of murder.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    It's all about priorities. What some people find important, others don't. That's life. While I hope I would never make a derogatory comment on somebody else's preferences, there are plenty of people who do. You just have to shrug it off.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited November 2014

Oh I got friends like that. You might need to smack them on there next comment. That will shut them up.

• Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    I've had friends and family do that to me; I just brush it off most of the time
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    My husband finds it boring and tedious. He'd never do it. He has lost weight simply by eating less often. That works for him, not for me. While he doesn't make fun of me for logging my food, he admits he thinks it's crazy. Whatever. Haters gonna hate, right?
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    I haven't had anyone say that to me, but I have used the words "calorie counting is empowering" many times before in conversations about how I am losing weight. Mostly because I never thought I would ever calorie count. Actually I vowed in my early 20's never to do it. I always worried that it would trigger my inner OCD and I would get obsessive about it but it gives me greater control and freedom at the same time.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member

I absolutely don't have time for "friends" like that...
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    ill be logging food forever. for those who think it is sad - go fly a kite...
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Prove him wrong. Lose weight and be happy.
  • mfletcher2013
    mfletcher2013 Posts: 8 Member
    My mother gave me a handy come back when people say crazy thing. Give a confused look and say "I'm sorry but could you repeat that because I can't believe you would have said anything so rude so I must have misheard you"
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    To that specific comment, I'd say: "Actually, I'm quite happy, especially since it helped me lose 25 pounds. Hmm, looks like I have enough calories to have dessert tonight."

I think it's an as*hole thing to criticize someone that's counting calories, and I'm not afraid to put people that do that in their place, especially since they're usually in worse shape than I am. Even fit people that don't count calories don't criticize it because they know (usually) that different methods can be used to achieve the same results.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    I'd be sorry it made him sad... it makes me happy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Yup. It's how I feel when folks here tell other dieters that they're "wrong", being silly, making things too complicated.... for choosing something other than calorie counting. It's rude. I like mfletcher's mom's comeback above.
  • MoeHameed
    MoeHameed Posts: 260 Member
    So how does he look like not being sad and not tracking his food intake? I bet a skinny *kitten* person or overweight and is happy about it.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    I just say, 'I didn't say YOU had to do it' and continue on my way.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Say, "Oh. I needed something new to count, since I sure as hell can't count on you for support". *Ba dum tss*
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    My mother gave me a handy come back when people say crazy thing. Give a confused look and say "I'm sorry but could you repeat that because I can't believe you would have said anything so rude so I must have misheard you"

Best response ever.