"Counting calories is sad"...

Replies

• doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    My mother gave me a handy come back when people say crazy thing. Give a confused look and say "I'm sorry but could you repeat that because I can't believe you would have said anything so rude so I must have misheard you"

Can I steal this?
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    He should go say that to a very large NFL player. A lot of them log calories. It's kind of important when your body is your paycheck.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    People that look at the world through their own eyes and never try to understand another point of view are not only sad, but ate-up to.

Try to remember, all young people got trophies and ribbons for coming in last, same as the winners...just to protect their feelings.

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    My sarcasm would have kicked into high gear...it wouldn't have ended well...for him.

Regardless of what others think MFP and counting calories is one of the best things that has ever happened to me and I would gladly shout it out from the rooftops regardless of the backlash I might get.

Just keep doing what you are doing!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Option 1:
    annoying friend "that's so sad"
    .... look up slowly.

slow blink.

you: "so are you- but I keep you around anyway"

look back down.

Option 2:

>don't look up keep doing what you're doing<
    I fail to see how my actions should illecit any emotion from you what so ever- for all you know I could have been playing candy crush- some how that would have been a more efficient and joyful use of my time???/

Option 3:
    Look up sharply with crazy wide eyes and whisper- looking nervously left and right

But the numbers- the numberss... they speak to me!!!! ssshhhshhhhhs can't you hear them?????

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    You sure they are a friend?

Semi-certain. He's known for annoying everyone to the point of murder.

then he isn't your friend.

You're right, there's no time in the day for having some annoying guy tag along constantly criticizing me/other people when I can be having fun counting calories :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I would just shrug and say it works for me and change the subject.

I haven't had comments about logging food but it isn't really something I'm doing in front of people or talking a lot about either. Maybe people I know would be rude about it too if they knew but I don't think anyone would care.

I'd think hard about why you hang out with this person. Do they have enough good points to remain friends or are they basically toxic and annoying most of the time?
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Whaaaaat? That's one of the reasons I don't have friends. They tend to be over people the whole time and I can't deal with that.
    Never mind me... It only would be sad it doing it was making you sad, I mean, in my case it makes me feel organized and relaxed... and happy when I see I have enough spare cals to eat some cookies.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Smile at them then look away, I say and do nothing.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Option 1:
    .... look up slowly.

slow blink.

you: "so are you- but I keep you around anyway"

look back down.

Option 2:

>don't look up keep doing what you're doing<
    I fail to see how my actions should illecit any emotion from you what so ever- for all you know I could have been playing candy crush- some how that would have been a more efficient and joyful use of my time???/

Option 3:
    Look up sharply with crazy wide eyes and whisper- looking nervously left and right

But the numbers- the numberss... they speak to me!!!! ssshhhshhhhhs can't you hear them?????

LOVE these! :grinning: Especially the last one. I have to remember this!
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    it's not uncommon for people to dismiss something they either don't understand or don't have what it takes to commit to.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Just ask "Oh yeah, what's sad about it?"

Then once he verbalizes whatever useless opinion he has, just nod and say, "Noted."

Seriously, one of the great things about getting older is you get to choose who you want to have in your life. I generally just shove people like that out because I don't have the energy to deal with it.

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Have you ever met a hater doing better than you?....yea, me neither.
  • janepatricia2
    janepatricia2 Posts: 40 Member
    i am lucky, my husband also wants to lose a bit of weight, so as he normally eats the same as me, he will ask, " how many calories have i got left" ha,ha, and at the end of the day, we want to feel better & look better,so if calorie counting is the way to do it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. & i am also happy when i see i am under my daily intake,, :-)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member

Actually, I have! They're sh*tty people. There's always one person around me that fears others becoming "better" than them.
  • ceilidhachaos
    ceilidhachaos Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2014
    How bout.. "Are you kidding? This is GREAT! It's like a game, and (getting all my daily nutrients, meeting my calorie goal, w/e) is WINNING!!" I'm playin' Health Quest 2014!" :p
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    My coworkers all know I'm on a weightloss journey. They see me running on my lunch hours and most of them noticed my body changing. Some have started to ask questions and get interested in how I get results. We were talking about MFP yesterday during our lunch break and, of course, there is this one who has never been overweight in her life and that doesn't exercise and she starts criticizing. She goes on and on about how it's all about moderation and that she eats according to her appetite and never bothered counting. Well, good for you, I tought. Doesn't work for me! I NEED MFP!!
    So don't mind him. Go about doing what works for you!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member

Actually, I have! They're sh*tty people. There's always one person around me that fears others becoming "better" than them.

Better than you? I highly doubt that. You're a rock star-beastess and attractive to boot. Me thinks you are mis-informed.