Garmin 920

Has anybody got this. If so, what do you think. Thinking of getting it for my fiancée for Christmas. How does it compare with similar products.

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Your fiance is a lucky dude.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    http://dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

I don't have it myself but you can get in depth review here.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Thanks. Doing research is a bit of a minefield. He cycles and runs but doesn't swim. He's got a Garmin virb elite which is why I thought sticking with garmin might be a good idea, but I'm open to other suggestions.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    If you're going multisport, then yes I'd follow DCRainmakers view on it.

I have a 310XT which entirely suits my requirements for running and cycling, really couldn't justify the extra spend on a 910XT at the time.

Garmin integration is also solid so already having the Virb makes it quite attractive.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    jaz050465 wrote: »
    Thanks. Doing research is a bit of a minefield. He cycles and runs but doesn't swim. He's got a Garmin virb elite which is why I thought sticking with garmin might be a good idea, but I'm open to other suggestions.

All roads eventually lead to Garmin...

And DC Rainmaker ;)

This article may be of help in making your choice:

http://dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/summer-sports-recommendations.html

Really, without knowing exactly what functions he values most it is hard to know what will be best.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    The 920 is a nice unit. Your fiance is a lucky guy. Wish my wife was that in tune with my activities that she would even consider getting me one of these. :\
  • Nilzwil
    Nilzwil Posts: 1 Member
    My son uses the Garmin 920xt and runs, swims, cycles - Edinburgh Marothon this year and a Sprint triathlon last year in Canada. It seems very good and he has the extra sensor to clip to his trainer to pick up his cadence and so forth. It is a serious bit of kit, although somewhat chunky to serve as a humble watch. Having more humble aspirations I went for the Garmin 220 forerunner, slimmer than the 920 and not so bulky to use as a watch if you wish! I found it well reviewed and a step up from its predecessor, I think it is good value, still does more than I need - but isn't that the way of the gadget! Happy choosing.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Nilzwil wrote: »
    My son uses the Garmin 920xt and runs, swims, cycles - Edinburgh Marothon this year and a Sprint triathlon last year in Canada. It seems very good and he has the extra sensor to clip to his trainer to pick up his cadence and so forth. It is a serious bit of kit, although somewhat chunky to serve as a humble watch. Having more humble aspirations I went for the Garmin 220 forerunner, slimmer than the 920 and not so bulky to use as a watch if you wish! I found it well reviewed and a step up from its predecessor, I think it is good value, still does more than I need - but isn't that the way of the gadget! Happy choosing.

Perhaps you mean the 910xt? As far as I know the 920 is not yet available and it's release is to be delayed.
  • jaz050465
    glevinso wrote: »

Perhaps you mean the 910xt? As far as I know the 920 is not yet available and it's release is to be delayed.

Seems like 19 November is the release date.

• jaz050465

So it must be out then. Where did he get it from.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    More likely either a 910xt or it has been stolen, or the guy is a Garmin employee who is testing it. It is not available for purchase anywhere.
  • wrinkled_pei
    wrinkled_pei Posts: 4 Member
    Just my two sense but if it is not going to be used for swimming there are other options that are less expensive from Garmin that are great for cycle and run. I have a 610 which has been upgraded to the 620 and it is smaller and works great for cycling and running.
  • jaz050465
    Thanks everyone. I'll look at the 620.. Having researched further, would I be better getting an 810 and a HRM
  • jaz050465
    Just realised 620 can be linked to bike speed and cadence sensor. What will the 810 give me that the 620 won't. Is it just bigger, and got maps.