Trying to convince myself this is a good, yummy lunch..... :(

I'm trying to convince myself that this is a good, palate-pleasing, satisfying lunch.... I'm trying.... 7 ounces of iceberg lettuce, 14 grams of croutons, 28 grams of low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese, and 7 grams of fake bacon bits, with a side of 112 grams of chunk light tuna in water.

Equals 308 calories, comprised of 19 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat, 41 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and 940 grams of sodium. To be washed down with Crystal Light, which is included in said nutritional data.

In the meantime, someone brought in a slew of bagels to the office, which looks tempting.ny3c8sq0nw9w.jpg

Replies

• Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Sorry, I'm no help.....
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    You need real bacon....
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    I love salads for lunch! The only thing I would have changed is instead of croutons, I would add some beans. The protein and fiber in them tend to keep me fuller longer than croutons. I would take your salad over bagels any day!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    If you're trying to convince yourself that your lunch is yummy and satisfying and it's not....eat something else.

Food should be enjoyed. Personally I do eat a salad every day for lunch pretty much. But I'd sub out the iceberg lettuce form some spinach or spring mix greens. And I'd add loads of chicken on top. Some nuts, maybe some cranberries. Full fat dressing. Mmmmmmmmmm. As long as you stay within your calorie limit, just eat what you want.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Don't deprive yourself of stuff you enjoy eating. It is all about staying within your calories goal. If you need more calories to eat go on a couple mile walk that will earn an extra 200 calories.

29509743.png
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Iceberg lettuce is the lamest of all lettuce. Change up the greens...add some that are spicy, mild, nutty, etc (basically what freckles said) and then add different textures and flavor profiles through nuts, fruits, etc.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    I agree, eat something else. Darker green veggies have more nutrients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Ditch the iceberg lettuce, it's tasteless and has almost no nutrients. Use mixed greens or spinach instead. But either way, salad without dressing makes me very sad. And I'd ditch the croutons for real bacon or something. Or nuts. Or avocado. Some things just are not worth the calories if you're trying to stay low.

• pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    mmmm...avocado, spring mix, cranberries, real dressing. I might add some chickpeas to it too. Don't get me wrong, looks fine but if you don't like it... Some days lunch is the highlight of an otherwise crappy work day. Don't eat crap you don't like & make it even crappier.
  • ElizabethNJ
    ElizabethNJ Posts: 32 Member
    Don't eat or make it if you don't like it. Healthy food doesn't have to be bland or boring. I like my salads colorful. Mixed greens, lots of different veggies, maybe red, yellow, orange, green peppers, some mushrooms, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, peas, green beans maybe some chickpeas. You could add nuts for some crunch. Plus some dressing of course.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited November 2014
    That salad needs some tomatoes, cucumbers, chicken instead of tuna, avocado, carrots... mmmm (I can't believe I'm craving a salad now!!) :astonished:

That has no salad dressing? It needs that too. OR... lemon with salt on it as a dressing!! Mmm I'm really craving salad now. Must go make one now... (I seriously feel weird saying these things about salad!!) :o:D
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Sorry that salad looks sad. Eat things you enjoy you should not have to convince yourself that something is good.

bacon-salad.jpg
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    my salad would have steak on it, mixed greens, tomatoes, sliced green apple, some avocado, some parmesian cheese and a homemade dressing of blended orange with cashews and coconut.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    canned tuna - Bleah! ...
    -
    - Fresh, pan-seared tuna on a bed of mixed greens and thinly sliced tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a little VOO... (yum)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited November 2014
    JCM1969 wrote: »
    You need real bacon....

This.

And replace the iceberg with spinach. And at least a little bit of a basic dressing. Not a smothering, just for some flavor. Will obviously add a few calories but that will be the difference between "yum!" and "ugh why do I need to eat this?"
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Ditch the croutons. Definitely, definitely ditch the croutons. Then add something super tasty for the same calories. Croutons = stale bread.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Ew....iceberg lettuce? Good luck with that! >:)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    You need some flavorful veggies in there too. Cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, some shredded carrots, maybe a little chopped red onion.

And ditch the croutons like others have said and replace with a light dressing.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Spinach or mixed greens,hearts of palm, pine nuts, goat cheese, chicken and some citrus vinaigrette... Salads can be tasty if you make them out of ingredients you like :)
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    *shrug* Don't eat things you don't like. I hate iceberg lettuce and I won't eat a salad with it. In fact, I don't really like salad at all so I almost never eat it. Occasionally I'll make one with Spinach, but that's rare.