Weight loss and dress size changes

I was just wondering how much weight everyone lost when they noticed a change in their dress size? I am 5'3 and had a SW of 189, I know that losing just over 5 pounds is a fantastic start in 2 weeks, it's just that I am hoping that I can get down to a size 16 (down 1 size) before my husbands Xmas dinner in 26 days.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It varies depending on weight, height, and body type. I think the average is about 10-15 pounds, though. If you can't fit into it by then, congratulate yourself on how much you've lost anyway.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have gone down several dress sizes this past year. I had to reacquaint myself to a size chart. http://www.alloyapparel.com/text/size_chart/size_chart.html?tab=1
  • jillianajones
    jillianajones Posts: 9 Member
    It has taken me 35-40 lbs to go down two sizes (down from a 16 to a 12). I'm sure your body frame and height can affect those things as well. I am 5'7" and have large hips and thighs, so some size 12 pants fit me well and others are too tight, depending on the manufacturer. I just bought a Banana Republic dress in a size 12, and I currently weigh 175. My weight when I was a size 16 was 210-215.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I started at 202.5 lbs. It took me 20 pounds to go down one size (from 16w, which I think is pretty comparable to 18, down to 16.) From there, the time/weight between sizes got smaller. I don't remember exactly how many pounds between each size but now I'm 150.5 and wear size 10 pants, size 8 dresses, and usually medium tops though I just bought a coat that is size small.

My "hard to lose" spot is my midsection so that's why my pant size is bigger than my dress size. I have a belly fwoop that adds to my waistband on pants.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    It depends. Most recently, I lost 0 lbs, 0 inches but went down a dress size. The store changed their sizing. So really... weight and dress size isn't 100% correlated. More like 50%.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    About 10 pounds.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    It was about 10 lbs. for me.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    It to 30lbs for me, and even then it was a bit snug. Doing better now though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I've also found that the target demographic for clothes affects the sizing. I have bought t-shirts from the university bookstore and needed to get size XL when I am wearing M in tops from places from Lands' End. The former is targeted more at college age people while the latter is more for people a bit older than college age. Maybe the college sizing is juniors? I don't know. I always think of juniors as high school clothes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Depends on how fat you are when you begin losing. The higher plus sizes have a lot more room built into them, so you have to lose more pounds for each size. As the sizes get smaller, there is less room for fat. (I actually think this is part of the reason some people don't realize how big they're getting - the clothes keep them in the same size even when they gain.)

I went though 24. 22 and 20 in about the same amount of time as the next few sizes, but I had to lose a lot more weight to click down those sizes than I did for 18 and 16. I lost weight a lot faster when I was 250 than I do at 175.

I have a couple in 14, but I'm really trying to skip 14 and go to 12. Lots of belting and clothes that are too big, but I'm so tired of paying for new wardrobes constantly and then having to say goodbye to things I liked. I'd like to skip 14, lol.
  • arditarose
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Depends on how fat you are when you begin losing. The higher plus sizes have a lot more room built into them, so you have to lose more pounds for each size. As the sizes get smaller, there is less room for fat. (I actually think this is part of the reason some people don't realize how big they're getting - the clothes keep them in the same size even when they gain.)

I went though 24. 22 and 20 in about the same amount of time as the next few sizes, but I had to lose a lot more weight to click down those sizes than I did for 18 and 16. I lost weight a lot faster when I was 250 than I do at 175.

I have a couple in 14, but I'm really trying to skip 14 and go to 12. Lots of belting and clothes that are too big, but I'm so tired of paying for new wardrobes constantly and then having to say goodbye to things I liked. I'd like to skip 14, lol.

Lol. Yeah, screw 14. You can skip it.
  • MRS189
    MRS189 Posts: 14
    This is great information. I was struggling because I know when I was increasing sizes I didn't check my weight to see how much gain increased my size, and now that I am going down I want to actually pay attention to what's going on and what good realistic goals are so I don't set myself up for a letdown / discouragement.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I'm 5'2" and fluctuate up and down between an all time high of 160 down to an all time low of 121 and I find that I typically go down a size in pants about every 8-10 pounds or so. For me, dresses are more flexible in that I can wear dresses and skirts that are 1-2 sizes bigger or smaller than my current pants size without looking like I'm wearing the wrong size (vs. how clownish pants that are the wrong size look).

With that said, though, I agree with other posters that your body shape probably has a lot to do with it. I have an hourglass shape that tends to be late in the hour when I'm carrying extra weight ;-). I don't carry much weight in my tummy, which helps dresses fit better than pants.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    It depends. Most recently, I lost 0 lbs, 0 inches but went down a dress size. The store changed their sizing. So really... weight and dress size isn't 100% correlated. More like 50%.

Hilarious!!!!! I find a lot of fluctuation between brands and even within some brands. :-)
  • arditarose
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Hilarious!!!!! I find a lot of fluctuation between brands and even within some brands. :-)

So true. I tried department store 6's that I was swimming in. A better quality, well made 6 was fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah, screw 14! He's a €¥[#=£, anyway!
    :)
  • MRS189
    MRS189 Posts: 14
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah, screw 14! He's a €¥[#=£, anyway!
    :)

I enjoy this mindset I would like to skip a few sizes just to avoid buying closes all the time. I believe the belt will soon be a great friend of mine instead of a enemy!
  • 20 for me and mygoal is 30 , on my way to a small tight dress and sexy looks from the boys :)
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    For me it was about 10 lbs, but seems to be more like 5 lbs as I get closer to my goal weight. I figure it has to do with where the weight is coming from. Now it seems to be coming mostly from my midsection, which is most effecting how clothes fit me.
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    I lost 12 pounds and now none of my pants fit :) That was in about 30 days, you can probably do it!