What A Difference A Food Scale Makes

2»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am going to purchase a food scale. This seems to be the best choice to lose weight with MFP. I was wondering what is the best or nearly the best body scale to buy that is accurate. I prefer not to spend a ton of $$$.
    I didn't buy one and still use my postal scale. I know it's accurate. I can zero it, add stuff, zero, add more stuff. I can put it on hold. It turns itself off. It can weigh in a variety of ways (to tiny amounts) and will even hold things upright (which doesn't matter for food, but comes in handy.)

Problem is that if have to bend down to see the numbers sometimes because the plate casts a sad own on the readout.

I'm very cheap and have thus far refused to buy another scale, just for food. :)

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    I don't weigh as many items as some people (things that have a discreet and individual serving size such as a string cheese stick or a snack bag of pretzels, etc) but I weigh more than I ever thought I would. It has been incredibly helpful, and sometimes, I think its easier. I could choose to pull out a tablespoon and get it gunky cramming pb in it, or I could weigh the jar, spread what i want on my english muffin, and then weigh jar. Much easier, less dishes :)
  • Perhaps, I am not being clear in my question. I am not referring to a "FOOD" scale. My question is what type of scale do people use to weight themselves with. For example if I want to know if I weigh 300 pounds, what type of scale would people use?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Perhaps, I am not being clear in my question. I am not referring to a "FOOD" scale. My question is what type of scale do people use to weight themselves with. For example if I want to know if I weigh 300 pounds, what type of scale would people use?

You might want to start your own thread - you'll get the answers you are looking for that way. The OP was about a food scale.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Perhaps, I am not being clear in my question. I am not referring to a "FOOD" scale. My question is what type of scale do people use to weight themselves with. For example if I want to know if I weigh 300 pounds, what type of scale would people use?

I'm afraid that I can't help you out there. I've been using my Wii Fit to weigh myself.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I am going to purchase a food scale. This seems to be the best choice to lose weight with MFP. I was wondering what is the best or nearly the best body scale to buy that is accurate. I prefer not to spend a ton of $$$.
    I didn't buy one and still use my postal scale. I know it's accurate. I can zero it, add stuff, zero, add more stuff. I can put it on hold. It turns itself off. It can weigh in a variety of ways (to tiny amounts) and will even hold things upright (which doesn't matter for food, but comes in handy.)

Problem is that if have to bend down to see the numbers sometimes because the plate casts a sad own on the readout.

I'm very cheap and have thus far refused to buy another scale, just for food. :)

LOL - I did it the other way around! I didn't have a postal scale, and bought the OXO one which I love - but now I use it to weigh the things I'm mailing!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    LOL, you were clear. I am a dolt.

I got an EatSmart one on amazon. I got the one amazon said was the best seller because I know nothing about scale manufacturing and that one was as good a pick as any other. If I shift my weight to the balls of my feet instead of the heels, I can drop it about a pound, so for a while I did that, lol...but it's been fine.

• Just got my Ozeri from Amazon in the mail today!
  • hazmat1212
    hazmat1212 Posts: 10 Member
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM8TZC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EatSmart Precision Pro Digital (FOOD) Kitchen Scale $19.95
    first day and I feel more powerful over what I put on a plate or in a bowl!

>^,,^<

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    I have an ozeri now white one. Works well.the bamboo covered one from target sucked. Before that was a good cheap one from Wal-Mart with a square glass piece on top. Worked well till the kids tried to weigh themselves.
  • jillianajones
    jillianajones Posts: 9 Member
    I could choose to pull out a tablespoon and get it gunky cramming pb in it, or I could weigh the jar, spread what i want on my english muffin, and then weigh jar. Much easier, less dishes :)

Brilliant! And I've read studies that relative weight like that is more accurate then weighing the item by itself.