My One Day Snickers Bar Story

Some of you here on MFP know me, but most of you don't. I've lost 192 pounds, and have maintained that weight loss since March of this year. I lost this weight through diet and exercise alone. I know, just as many of us here know, what it takes to lose this kind of weight, and keep it off. I've had many weak moments along the way, cheat days, whatever. I'm a firm believer that all food can be consumed in moderation, and the key to losing weight, or maintaining it, is to stay focused MOST of the time.

A little less than a year ago, I saw one of these things at a party...
bkJEwOv.jpg

I was intrigued by its size, and just had to read the nutrition label. 2250 calories. Or, 9 servings of 250... which is the calorie count for a regular sized Snickers bar. After reading the label, I joked about how interesting it would be, to eat nothing other than an entire Snickers Slice n' Share in one day. I mean, my maintenance calories is 2226 a day, and this enormous candy bar would only be 24 more calories than that.

Yesterday, I turned this joke into a reality. While I didn't have an actual Snickers Slice n' Share bar, I did what I could, and bought 9 regular ones...
etBvW5f.jpg

With the exception of the 3 liters of water I drink in a day, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and my normal amount of coffee, nothing else went in my mouth yesterday, other than 9 Snickers candy bars.

Believe it or not, this was not entirely a bad experience. I ate 1 bar at 7am, and repeated this process each hour, until 2PM. At 5:45PM, I ate my last bar. While I felt pretty hungry though the main part of the day, by the time I was ready to go to bed last night, I felt no hungrier than I normally do, when I'm eating normally.

The last half of the day, I definitely felt... off. Not terrible. Not sick. Just off. When I went to bed, the only side effect of all those Snickers bars, was that it took about 20 minutes longer for me to fall asleep.

As far as nutrition is concerned, it wasn't nearly as bad as you might think. The fat content was nearly on par with a normal day's consumption. The sodium level was far less than an average day, as was the cholesterol. And, believe it or not, the sugar level wasn't even twice of what I normally consume daily. The only serious negative, was that those bars didn't even come close to meeting a day's worth of protein.

My final thoughts? I'm not going to recommend this idea to anyone, but I wouldn't discount it, either. Have fun once in awhile, y'all. I did. And, not only did I satisfy my Snickers bar cravings for the next year, I also lost 1.8 pounds yesterday, too.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    LOL this is amazing. A Snickers day!

Great post! I don't imagine I would want to eat 9 bars in a day, but I know what it's like to want to.. at least I know I won't blow up ahaha
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited November 2014
    LOL! 9 snickers bars??? Glad you had fun with it!

i'm afraid to ask, but you must have had nuts in your poop this morning.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    LOL! 9 snickers bars??? Glad you had fun with it!

i'm afraid to ask, but you must have had nuts in your poop this morning.
    LOL I had a BM yesterday, around 5:30PM. Seemed normal. Haven't had one yet, today. I'll say one thing, although I didn't come anywhere near meeting my daily protein levels yesterday, it sure was wonderful not feeling gassy all day long.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Hilarious. Thanks for taking the bullet for the rest of us.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Hilarious. Thanks for taking the bullet for the rest of us.
    LOL You're welcome!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    What?! Ha! I freakin love this story LOL. I don't actually love Snickers bars enough to eat nine in a day, but I could eat some Payday's or Skor bars pretty easily. Interesting....I might do this just because it's entertaining.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    I may need to try this Snickers cleanse. Ha!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Snickers are a surprisingly good snack- carbs and fats and a touch of protein- It's the one candy bar I'll reach for if I need a quick fix b/c it actually has some guts to it.

Good to know I can survive on them for a day or two if need be!! LOL

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Awesome story!

(You might need some Vernor's to settle your stomach today :smile: )
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    LOL...this is fantastic!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    LOL now that's awesome.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yasss!

I love this story...tell it again daddy!

snickers-o.gif

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    jmapes9 wrote: »
    As far as nutrition is concerned, it wasn't nearly as bad as you might think. The fat content was nearly on par with a normal day's consumption. The sodium level was far less than an average day, as was the cholesterol. And, believe it or not, the sugar level wasn't even twice of what I normally consume daily. The only serious negative, was that those bars didn't even come close to meeting a day's worth of protein.

It's definitely an interesting experiment - thanks for sharing! :) While it seemed pretty OK for some macros, vitamin and fiber content would be quite low. I would think that it wouldn't hurt to do this every once in awhile if you enjoyed it!
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    I love Snickers...but I don't think I could eat 9. 3 or 4 maybe.....!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Wow this is fantastic lol
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    This is one of the best posts I've seen on MFP in a long time. Cheers!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I may need to try this Snickers cleanse. Ha!
    63ohrcdw296m.gif

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    I may have to repeat your experiment, but with 11.74 Almond Snickers bars (my daily goal is 2700).
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    You're my hero!