"I want to lose weight, but I don't want to get too skinny!"

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    well for someone who is starting at a very high weight they can expect to have high excess skin poundage as part of the package. This could very well mean that in order to be healthy they'd have to stay at the higher end of their "healthy" weight range because while the skin contributes to the numbers on the scale it doesn't actually contribute anything to the function and health of the body. If, for example, I were to get down to 130 pounds I would still be 12 pounds above what would be considered "underweight" according to the BMI. That's plenty healthy, right? Except at 130 pounds I will have approximately 18 pounds of excess skin based on amount of weight lost. This isn't lean mass, organs, muscle, skeletal system, essential fat. It's just extra, useless junk hanging off me like skin drapes. So saying I'm a good and healthy weight at 130 pounds would be like taking a 112 pound 5'7" individual, putting them on the scale, saying "you're underweight. let's fix that" and then draping 18 pounds of skin over their arms to boost the numbers and calling it a day. For someone who has been quite obese, staying at the higher end of their healthy range (or possibly even lower end of "overweight" depending on how much skin they are carrying) might actually be the best option even if it's not ideal. At least until they can get the skin removed.

That is such an interesting comment. It's amazing all of the intimate details and spectrum that so many of us don't consider in another persons journey.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    well for someone who is starting at a very high weight they can expect to have high excess skin poundage as part of the package. This could very well mean that in order to be healthy they'd have to stay at the higher end of their "healthy" weight range because while the skin contributes to the numbers on the scale it doesn't actually contribute anything to the function and health of the body. If, for example, I were to get down to 130 pounds I would still be 12 pounds above what would be considered "underweight" according to the BMI. That's plenty healthy, right? Except at 130 pounds I will have approximately 18 pounds of excess skin based on amount of weight lost. This isn't lean mass, organs, muscle, skeletal system, essential fat. It's just extra, useless junk hanging off me like skin drapes. So saying I'm a good and healthy weight at 130 pounds would be like taking a 112 pound 5'7" individual, putting them on the scale, saying "you're underweight. let's fix that" and then draping 18 pounds of skin over their arms to boost the numbers and calling it a day. For someone who has been quite obese, staying at the higher end of their healthy range (or possibly even lower end of "overweight" depending on how much skin they are carrying) might actually be the best option even if it's not ideal. At least until they can get the skin removed.

That is such an interesting comment. It's amazing all of the intimate details and spectrum that so many of us don't consider in another persons journey.

I'm not sure that the majority of people who say "i don't want to get too skinny" and pick higher numbers are necessarily thinking of this, but I've definitely had to. According to my height and frame size my "ideal weight" would be 136. However, by 138 my body starts to shut down non-essential functions as though I'm underweight (adios, TOM! ;)...though maybe some people would see that as a bonus. lol)
  • OK, this has always intrigued me because I've seen in on just about every weight loss or fitness board I've ever even cursorily passed through.

Overweight and obese people setting goals that are still pretty high, or are right at the high end of the "normal" scale, with a disclaimer of "I don't want to be skinny!!!".

Why do you think that is? What's with this apparent fear of becoming too low in body fat and/or weight? Many of the weights I see where people believe they will, or did, look too skinny/thin/emaciated use to be commonplace, average and normal a few decades ago (or in parts of the world today). Yet there seems to be this apparent backlash these days about conceptualizing a body that's relatively lean or light.

What do you think is the root of the big thin scare?

I think it is just hard for many obese people to imagine themselves with a low BMI. Therefore they have a hard time setting a goal weight lower than they can picture themselves.

To me a BMI of 25 would be huge and would certainly negatively impact my running performance. For certain football players, a BMI of 25 might be way too small. It all depends on individual circumstances.

I don't think goals are "good" or "bad" without more context
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I find it strange too. People claim to have different body types though and claim to be more muscular naturally whereas they look emaciated at a low weight, but I do wonder if they are fooling themselves. Without purposely lifting weights to bulk up, I question if they are right. I look best at the low end of the bmi scale or a little underweight according to bmi.

I look fine at the top end of my healthy BMI, but I'm not scared of getting smaller.

SAM_3249.jpg
    image sharing

My BMI was 24.9 in this pic. This was after 2 kids (I've had a 3rd now and am getting back to this size) but when I was this size in my 20s, my BMI was about 23. Strength training makes a difference :)

If you've never been thin before, you can't imagine how you'd look, and it must be weird. I've never heard anyone worry about getting too thin though.

you look good in that pic. I also think that boob size and where you hold your weight matters a lot. I have tiny boobs at pretty much every weight and I am extreme pear shaped which is a bad look at a high bmi for me. I also had a double chin at 24.9 bmi and was bordering on a size 14. I really looked fat at 24.9 bmi. I didn't look like you at all. I also don't have muscles naturally which makes it worse. probably should lift.

I'm an hourglass, my boobs are a DD, and I have wide hips (not complaining, I've had 3 babies and not needed stitches #childbearinghips). I do a lot of strength training so I suppose that's why I weigh at the top end of BMI? People are always surprised by my weight.

I'm bigger now (6 months post partum) but I think that if I get down to that weight I'll be even smaller than in this photo. Back then (last Summer) I'd liked to have dropped another 10lbs or so.

yeah, I am not even an A cup at that bmi. I also have super wide hips and bigger thighs and had nothing to balance it out.

At least you can wear halter necks and skimpy tops and not worry about a bra!

yeah, i probably could, but i don't. i would look too flat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member

I am 5'9". I was 375, now 273ish. I already have loose skin problems, with almost 120lbs to go. I imagine I may have over 20lbs of excess skin when all is said and done. Awesomeness.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't know what motivates other people to not want to get what they see as too skinny.
    My motivations to choose a goal weight at the high end of healthy for my height:
    Part one- I've been trying to lose weight for a long time and I'm not confident about losing 50 pounds and I'm not sure I would be happy at the lower end (see part two). I feel that losing 30 pounds would be much better than being at my current weight and I could be comfortable and healthy there. If I get there, I may decide to try for more or not.
    Part two- I was always below average weight until I hit my 20's. I remember finally reaching 100 pounds when I was in college. I remember how being so thin felt and looked on me. I remember being cold and in pain a lot more. I was unhappy with my appearance. I remember all the years of nasty comments/judgements that I got about being too thin from average sized people. I remember feeling most comfortable physically and liking how I looked when I was in the mid to upper part of the healthy bmi range for my height.

• FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    FitFroglet wrote: »
    For me 'I don't want to be too skinny' wasn't anything to do with a specific look or weight, but more to do with 'I want to be healthy but I still want to be me'.

"I still want to be me".

That's one of the most fascinating insights I've seen on this topic.

It's so rooted in self perception. If you've been fat long enough, even if you hated being fat, there is a sense of the unknown on the other end. If I'm not this thing, which I've struggled against for so long, which partially defined me, for the bad and good, who am I?

Absolutely - something that should always have been 'just a number' somehow becomes a large part of your identity. You also build up all these false perceptions about the magical people who manage to be slim ('they only eat lettuce' for example and 'they don't get hunger cues' are amongst the rubbish things I've told myself in the past).

Luckily I'm finding that as I get smaller, my weight wasn't as big a part of me as I thought it was, and I'm absolutely able to redefine myself.

At the beginning I couldn't picture being a UK size 14 (US 10), now I reckon that a 10 (US 6) will probably be about right for my frame.

It's all a learning exercise!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    When I got down to 190 I looked like I was about a week away from death. That's why my current goal is 220 even though I already know that will be changing for the lower. It'll likely be even lower than 190, so we'll see if I get the whole "I'm seriously about to die from AIDS/Cancer combined" look when I get close.

If I do, then I'll start a slow bulk to put on some muscle before cutting again.

*Disclaimer: I am not saying that everyone who is skinny looks like they're about to die from AIDS/Cancer combined. I am only saying that's the way I looked.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    At 5'1 and 102 lb I am at the low end of the BMI scale:19.27 and to me I am at the perfect weight but a little skinny-fat.
    (BF according to an online US Marine Corps site 20.10).

My highest weight was the top of the normal BMI range 128-130 lb and I felt incredibly huge because I had spent most of my life around the 102-107 weight range.

This just goes to show that it is really down to a persons perception of their body - someone starting at 230 would find 130 more acceptable than I coming from the opposite direction.

I also agree with the bigger the loss the more extra skin has to be carried around so a low BMI would be the wrong thing to aim for. 10-20 lb of extra skin can really skew a BMI.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    I think that some people just aren't interested in being 'model' skinny and might be afraid of losing their curvature or looking gaunt if they lose x amount of weight.

I'm 5'3" and 165lbs. I was 180 less than two months ago. My first goal is 135..which is the highest end of normal. Once I reach that I will reevaluate my goals regarding weight and fitness.

I'm not worried about being too skinny. Once I hit a weight (more like once I hit a point where I'm satisfied with the way I look and feel) that I'm comfortable with, I'll move to maintenance. I liked my body most when i was 124. I felt I looked too thin at 110. I have no idea what weight will be ideal for me now..because I've had a child and my body isn't the same as it used to be.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    I also agree with the bigger the loss the more extra skin has to be carried around so a low BMI would be the wrong thing to aim for. 10-20 lb of extra skin can really skew a BMI.

True story. Everyone who ever tries to guess my weight puts me at around the 120 -125 range, even one nurse I know who weighs people on a daily basis and is apparently always nearly dead on with her guesses. I'm actually about 15 pounds over that, but it's all skin. it's thin enough that if you fold and pack it well enough nobody would know it's there. Though I do have to wear pants that are at least a size or 2 too big to fit it in >:(

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    When I got down to 190 I looked like I was about a week away from death.

Let me ask you a question; have you almost always been big?

190 is a pretty high weight for the majority of men. When you say that you looked "about a week away from death" do you think part of that was you being unused to seeing yourself in a much smaller body?

If you happened upon a nearly 200 lbs man who looked like you did, do you think he's look to you like he was severely emaciated?

Those of us who have been big sometimes don't have the same criteria for others as we do for ourselves. And that's can even be the case for people who know us. Which explains the family, friends and co-workers who implore you to stop losing weight, because you're looking "too skinny", even though you're still technically overweight or obese. Yet the thought would never cross their mind if they met you at that weight from day one.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    I had the opposite reaction when I lost weight. People came out of the woodwork to tell me that I looked terrible at my heaviest and that I should never get there again, even though based on bmi, I was never actually overweight. I was naturally skinny in my younger years though.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    I have never declared it in a post on here before but now that you mention it, I don't want to be skinny. Seriously, eff that crap. To me skinny means scrawny and weak. My ultimate goal is to be in the low end of the BMI overweight category and below 20% body fat. Operation She-Ra is in effect for this girl. :smiley:

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    When I got down to 190 I looked like I was about a week away from death.

Let me ask you a question; have you almost always been big?

190 is a pretty high weight for the majority of men. When you say that you looked "about a week away from death" do you think part of that was you being unused to seeing yourself in a much smaller body?

If you happened upon a nearly 200 lbs man who looked like you did, do you think he's look to you like he was severely emaciated?

Those of us who have been big sometimes don't have the same criteria for others as we do for ourselves. And that's can even be the case for people who know us. Which explains the family, friends and co-workers who implore you to stop losing weight, because you're looking "too skinny", even though you're still technically overweight or obese. Yet the thought would never cross their mind if they met you at that weight from day one.

Yep, I have been a fatty mcfatfat my whole life. I am generally very honest about my body, and try as hard as I can to see it for what it is; although, I do realize that is just about an impossibility.

The thing is, even looking back at pictures of me from that time, I still don't think I looked healthy at all. I'm on the lower end of tall at 6'1", so until I started to get over 285-300lbs, I wore the weight pretty well. One of the main reasons why I felt that I looked sickly is because I could actually see my ribs at that weight, and the effect only magnified when lying on my back. There are pictures of me where I look just like skin and bones.

It could have also been an effect of "skinnyfat" as I didn't do any weight training while I was losing that weight. It was all cardio, so while I lost nearly all of my fat, I lost a whole bunch of muscle as well.

I would like to believe that if I didn't know me, and just saw myself walking down the street at 190lbs back then, I would have offered to by myself a sandwich. lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Many people who have been obese for much of their adult years have no idea what they are going to look like at a "normal" weight so they set their goal to the high end to start with, then they can go further if they decide they want to lose more. Part of it is setting a realistic goal, and part of it is the psychology of totally changing your body.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    I am 5'7" and in my profile was 147. At the mid or low end of my bmi (anywhere below 135) I don't have my period, breasts, and lose my overall strength. to me, losing my femininity or athleticism is "too skinny" no matter what the scal or society says.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Have things really changed? I don't know. I know when I was younger and fitter my mother was concerned I wasn't eating enough and was getting too thin and that was 30 years ago.

I don't remember anything being called pro Ana then. There was no internet. Eating disorders were a real concern like now, but even less understood.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Have things really changed? I don't know. I know when I was younger and fitter my mother was concerned I wasn't eating enough and was getting too thin and that was 30 years ago.

I don't remember anything being called pro Ana then. There was no internet. Eating disorders were a real concern like now, but even less understood.

I think it's always been a debate. Most models and actresses now are considered medically underweight. This wasn't always so. Also, with the Internet and all other technologies.. people are having celebrity news and photos shoved into view. More and more kids think smaller and smaller weights are fat because of this.

The idea body type has fluctuated between women who look like Marilyn Monroe and Jennifer Lopez to women who look like Twiggy and Kate Moss. However, models are getting smaller and smaller. The sizes considered for plus sized models keep shrinking. I think they're size 6-12 now..which is ridiculous because something like half of American women wear a size 14.

The experience is different for everyone. I remember in college, my ecology professor commented on my weight. He asked if I had been eating. I was 125 lbs at 5'3".. Granted, I had dropped 35 lbs over the summer alone (insulin fluctuations cause my weight to fluctuate) ..but I was still on the high side of a healthy weight. My boyfriend at the time considered me to be overweight.

Another thing about the Internet and weight..has anyone else seen all of the pro Ana sites around? There are girls posting pictures on instagram pretty much enabling each other's eating disorders. They post body checks, things that say they'll fast one hour for every like they get, etc. It's like Ana support.. That wasn't around when I was young. It's unnerving..especially since I have a daughter.

What I think the 'too skinny' thing boils down to is aesthetic preference. I prefer Jennifer Lopez' body to Kate Moss'. I would rather keep my butt and the little breasts I have than burn them all away in order to weigh less.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    That and its equally bizarre twin: "I want to get toned, but I don't want big muscle LOL!!1!1!"

I haven't really seen this on here. I have seen a lot more people accusing women of thinking this than actual women who think this.

No, it is most certainly a thing. I've seen it and fought against it far too often to think it's a male propagated myth.