Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Hello Everyone. I am a family man with 3 kids 12, 10, and 6. I know it can be a challenge trying to take care of all their needs and manage your own. If you are looking for support, feel free to reach out to me and add me as a friend. I work full time, run a virtual fitness team, participate in a running club as a family, help run my kids to gymnastics, soccer, and any other sporting event depending on the season and still find time to get my workouts in and eat as well as I can. I know how important support can be, so if you need some, I will do my best to help you out.

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Rich71bat wrote: »
    Also have 3 kids and battle with the challenge of balancing family, being "dad's taxi" and a healthy lifestyle.

All feel free to add me

Added! The taxi dad service. Yup, still doing that!
  • MamaP47
    MamaP47 Posts: 94 Member
    Lol! Too bad we can't charge the kids for gas! I have three kids myself, and the younger two are super active. It's exhausting being a parent! ;)
  • MikePXstream
    MamaP47 wrote: »
    Lol! Too bad we can't charge the kids for gas! I have three kids myself, and the younger two are super active. It's exhausting being a parent! ;)

Oh I know right! My Daughters gym is about 30 miles away. 45 minutes of driving to get there and back 4-5 days a week. It adds up quickly!
  • MikePXstream
    So yesterday the family and I headed out for running club in the morning. Pretty chilly out (30 degrees) but still some good training. We got in about 2.6 miles, with (6) 1/4 mile sprints mixed in the middle. Then scooted my daughter off to her gymnastics practice. The kids also got to pick up their trophies and prizes from running 8 races of the Healthy Kids run series over this past summer and into the fall. Great stuff. They were so excited. Especially my lil man. We wanted to show off his trophy to everyone. lol. Now, final preps for the Turkey Trot and continuing my weight lifting training.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    I've got 4 kids (girls 22 (no longer lives at home), 19, 14 and a son who is 4). Thankfully I don't have to much driving around to do anymore (the 19 year old picks her sister up from school and hubby drops her off, the only day I have to drive to get her is Fridays (which is nice because I drive a gas hog and it's 22 miles round trip to her school. I work from home and the biggest challenge I have is getting all my work, and household stuff done and still have time to work out.
  • clacoste0102
    clacoste0102 Posts: 59 Member
    I have 2 kids and work full time at the office and do my own contracting work. it's so exhausting some days with work, kids, laudry and cooking. my husband helps but we are all so busy. I would like to start running again but I feel like I've gotten so heavy that i won't be able to do it. can you give me some tips on starting out?
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Father of 3 here, feel free to add me.
  • MikePXstream
    I have 2 kids and work full time at the office and do my own contracting work. it's so exhausting some days with work, kids, laudry and cooking. my husband helps but we are all so busy. I would like to start running again but I feel like I've gotten so heavy that i won't be able to do it. can you give me some tips on starting out?

Start off nice and easy. Try to set aside time to run 2-3 times a week, no more than an hour. To give you an example, we run Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. We start off with a 1/2 mile minimum warm up jog, some times 3/4 of a mile, and finish with about the same. On Tuesdays we run relay sprints, usually about 1/4 3-5 times. On Thursdays we do intervals. So same warm up and cool down, then 200m run, 400m, 800m, 400m, 200m and then if there is enough time, maybe one more short one like another 200m. Between each run, you take a break equivalent to how long it took you to run that distance or roughly 2 minutes max. Saturdays we will do a distance run. Usually about 3 miles at a nice even pace. Some times we will run for 2 minutes, then take a 2 min break, and repeat until 3 miles is complete.

Now, you don't have to run 3 miles right off the bat. you can start with 1. do a 1/4 mile warm up, 1/2 mile sprint or relays in the middle, then a 1/4 cool down. whatever you can handle. but each time, try to push a little harder and go a little further. You'll be running 5k's on average in no time.
  • MikePXstream
    mother of 4 and grandmother of 2.. just run around after your kids should keep you fit! lol

You don't look old enough to be a grandmother ;)
  • MikePXstream
    Was able to get my daughter over to our friends for her to carpool over to jazz and dance class, fixed dinner for the kids, got my workout in, and still got in a couple games of checkers with my boy. Fabulous!
  • LookAWalrus
    LookAWalrus Posts: 52 Member
    I have a nearly 1 year old. Working out is hell.
  • MaryHubbard2012
    MaryHubbard2012 Posts: 8 Member
    I have a almost 20 month old and really want to lose some of the weight I gained having him. I did have thyroiditis but now my thyroid is back, and functioning as normal. I want to get back into the kind of shape I was when I met my husband and also be able to enjoy healthy activities with my son. My goal is to lose between 20 and 30 pounds.
  • MaryHubbard2012
    MaryHubbard2012 Posts: 8 Member
    Also, I am a full time student who is almost done and a soon to be full time medical worker.
  • SparkyJess3
    SparkyJess3 Posts: 625 Member
    I have a 4 year old very active little boy, work full time, and go to school part time. The last 4 years I have been so busy with my son's and husband's needs that I put myself on the back burner. I am 20 pounds over what I weighed when I had my son and I am just sick of getting winded so easily when I'm running around with my son! Time for a change and I am determined! Mommies and daddies feel free to add me, I can definitely use the support.
This discussion has been closed.