Runners Club:: November 26

Options
Good morning all! There was half an inch of snow this morning!! It was nice and warm though! :bigsmile: I know I dont usually start this or post often haha Today was 2nd run this week. Turns out we have been doing maybe 1.5km in 30mins hahaha more walking than running! Today we did it in 20mins! We have one more day this week and then next week we will start running just over 2km and try to do 2.5km in 10-15mins. Thats our goal for now... And then work up to 5k by the end of january. It seems to be going great except every time I get a cramp in my side. Last time I went the entire way with it. This time it came at the end and hurt really really bad but I still pushed through it. Is there a reason for getting a cramp? Is there something I can do about it?

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! There was half an inch of snow this morning!! It was nice and warm though! :bigsmile: I know I dont usually start this or post often haha Today was 2nd run this week. Turns out we have been doing maybe 1.5km in 30mins hahaha more walking than running! Today we did it in 20mins! We have one more day this week and then next week we will start running just over 2km and try to do 2.5km in 10-15mins. Thats our goal for now... And then work up to 5k by the end of january. It seems to be going great except every time I get a cramp in my side. Last time I went the entire way with it. This time it came at the end and hurt really really bad but I still pushed through it. Is there a reason for getting a cramp? Is there something I can do about it?
  • I posted this same q awhile back here and I got some good advice. One was push through it and it'll eventually go away, which I've found most times it does. Try inhaling deeply or coughing, sometimes that will help. Also take a look at what you're eating before your run and how long beforehand you're eating it. I find I cramp up quickly in my side when I eat within the hour before running if it's a meal. I know you're supposed to eat light before a run, but sometimes the only time I can get it in is after dinner. So, hopefully something will help and I'm sure others will have suggestions too!
    Heidi
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    I dont eat anything before I go out :-S

I just mapped it out and we are going about 2.5km in 30mins. So not too bad haha
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I'm not sure about the eating and cramping, but I eat 1/2 a banana before I run.

I have had cramps before also. I breathe as deeply as I can-it feels so painful though! A friend of mine has a son who runs cross country for a college, he recommended holding your arms down at your sides-almost pushing them down. Don't know why, but it may be worth a try!

I go in 4.5 mi. this a.m in 45 min.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Check out this link on side stiches:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2sidestitches.asp
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Check out this link on side stiches:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2sidestitches.asp

Thanks that really helped! :smile:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Got 5 miles in this morning.
    Side stictches: I've gotten them twice. What has worked for me is to tie a jacket/sweatshirt very tight across my waist. Somehow this holds them off?
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I rarely eat before running. If I do I have a banana and rice cake. Some carbs are good!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I ran for 30 minutes, not sure how far exactly... ran for 10 minutes, did 10 minutes of sprint repeats, and then ran 10 minutes back home.
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ran a little over 5 today. I used the MapMyFitness application for my iPhone, and it was pretty cool. It measured the distance I ran, my time and my pace per mile. Then, I can send my workout directly from my phone to MapMyFitness site where I've been keeping track of my training.

Good runs today, everyone!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ran a little over 5 today. I used the MapMyFitness application for my iPhone, and it was pretty cool. It measured the distance I ran, my time and my pace per mile. Then, I can send my workout directly from my phone to MapMyFitness site where I've been keeping track of my training.

Good runs today, everyone!

thats really cool! I need an iphone!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm running to the gym and back, only a mile. It's leg day and I always KILL my legs so I don't like to run before or after. I think I am doing better at easing into my training this time. I haven't been getting runner's knee and my pace has been much better on my recent runs.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    6.3 miles on the treadmill.