Logging accuracy, consistency, and you're probably eating more than you think.

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Absolutely. When I'm logging accurately and not "forgetting" (ahem), I start to lose immediately, especially when I'm working out 4-5 times a week. And I like how you talked about well intentioned. I've been guilty of both avoiding the fact that I indulged and didn't log and also forgetting to log one fun size candy bar (or three - hee hee). If I logged precisely every day and watched my macros more diligently, my gains would be more substantial than they are now. But, I'm progressing. I'm getting better at it and becoming more accountable for my over eats.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Strong posts SS, as always.

Of course there are already a few that feel it doesn't apply to them because they are different.
    Strong brown-nosing, MrM, as always. <3

Of course not every post applies to everyone. You know your logging is fine when your deficit over a long period equates to your observed weight change.
    Strong brown nosing because I give kudos to an actual friend that wrote a good post. Hmmmmm. Interesting.

That's right, support your friends! It happens against our will sometimes. We DO actually make friends here.
  • So ... how inaccurate do people have to be exactly? Say you are eating 1200 calories every day, but in reality you are eating 1900 calories everyday, but you should be maintaining weight if you eat 2200 calories a day .... you should still be losing weight right? Can people really eat another 2-3 meals worth of calories and just .... not notice?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    kathycee wrote: »
    So ... how inaccurate do people have to be exactly? Say you are eating 1200 calories every day, but in reality you are eating 1900 calories everyday, but you should be maintaining weight if you eat 2200 calories a day .... you should still be losing weight right? Can people really eat another 2-3 meals worth of calories and just .... not notice?

The point is, if you think you are eating 1,200 calories a day and your maintenance is 2,200, you would be expecting a 2lb a week loss - but if you are actually eating 1,900, it would be a 1/3rd of that.

However, those are extremes. Many people have a weight loss goal of much less than 2lb a week. For example, if someones maintenance is 2,000 and they are looking to lose about 2/3lb a week - that is only 333 calories - not 2 - 3 meals - in fact less than 2 servings of peanut butter or a serving of some ice creams.

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160

The dietitians underreported their energy intake obtained from the food records by an average of 223 +/- 116 kcal/day, which was not different from their energy expenditure. Participants in the control group, as hypothesized, significantly underreported their energy intake (429 +/- 142 kcal/day, P < .05).

Amen to this. In my first few weeks on MFP I was missing about 200 calories a day, between overestimating exercise and underestimating food. I had a 750 calorie deficit set, so I was still losing weight at a reasonable rate, but it did open my eyes to how easy it was to make a mistake. That now serves me in good stead, as I approach my goal weight and have a much smaller daily deficit planned.

So if dietitians under report so must boxed foods in freezers. I just focus more on the use up the calories. Spend less time behind the computer and keep moving. What is TDEE? The web site suggested in post was well to complicated.

Thanks for the post it is a good read.

Patsy
    Lutz Fl
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    serasaby wrote: »
    hello
    Can anyone please tell me how much is 35 grams of bagrreys white oats or any instant oats in cups? I dont have any weighing machne.... so plz help

1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked = 150.

Not necessarily, because it depends on if that 1/2 cup actually weighs 35 grams.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    serasaby wrote: »
    hello
    Can anyone please tell me how much is 35 grams of bagrreys white oats or any instant oats in cups? I dont have any weighing machne.... so plz help

1/2 cup dry = 1 cup cooked = 150.

Not necessarily, because it depends on if that 1/2 cup actually weighs 35 grams.

I gave the normal cup measurements but I use a scale, and it's 40g not 35g since we are being precise here.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Nice to see that some of the voices of reason stuck around to help after the format change...
  • 46regina64
    46regina64 Posts: 1 Member
    I joined Weight Watchers and find I am again losing weight. WW seems to make me far more accountable with accuracy than any other program. Plus I have found I have upped my power foods greatly and that has made a huge difference in a higher energy level for me. Seems I am a believer that no one thing works for everyone, we each have to find what works for us as individuals. Just wish there was a way that MFP, Fitbit ONE and WW could all be linked to receive each others daily information on my windows phone.
  • jillianajones
    jillianajones Posts: 9 Member
    I bought a scale last week, so I've been weighing and logging accurately for the last five or six days. I was maintaining or gaining for the last few weeks, and now I am losing again. I learned I was WAY under calculating meat and pasta, and overcalculating veggies and fruits. Knowing how much I was really eating, and actually increasing a little bit my calorie goal and my protein intake, I am losing again.
  • metalheadjessus
    metalheadjessus Posts: 6 Member
    This has probably been said before, but electronic weighing scales are amazing and can be found relatively cheap these days. Definitely a great investment buy. You'll also probably be surprised how little some recommended serving sizes are, but equally surprised how they are still satisfying.
  • andyarceye
    andyarceye Posts: 10 Member
    Something which needs to be understood is the amount of calories burned with exercise.

Based on my own weight loss of Zero in 6 months.
    My typical daily food intake:
    Breakfast:
    1 Muller rice original = 182 kcal

Mid Morning:
    1 punnet Tesco Melon & Grapes 400g = 130 kcal

Lunch:
    1 tin Heinz Vegetable Soup = 188 kcal

Dinner:
    1 Jacket potato approx 200g = approx 220 kcal ( 1.1kcal per gram )
    1/2 tin heinz beans = 164 kcal

Drinks:
    Throughout the day I will consume approx 10 mugs de-caff coffee with semi skimmed milk = 20 kcal per mug = 200 kcal total
    Approx 10 glasses of water = zero kcal

Exceptions:
    Friday mid morning I have an english breakfast which replaces the fruit punnet
    2 eggs
    2 sausage
    2 bacon
    1/2 tin heinz beans
    1 slice toast ( dry )
    Total approx 1000 kcal

My Job is predominantly sat down ( office job ) but I still manage at least 6000 steps per day according to my pedometer.

Excersize:
    3 times per week minimum includes at least 1 high intensity

Indoor Cycle trainer for 1 hour exercise burning from 300 to 700 calories per session depending on intensity ( according to my garmin edge 500 )

Outdoors exercise = variable amount of time from 30 mins to 5 hours outdoors depending on weather, 1/2 of calories burned are replaced with food during the ride ( usually carbs by way of bananas and a single energy drink ). Calorie Burn according to my Garmin 500 = approx 500 per hour

my BMR = 1720
    according to www.bmi-calculator.net

Kcal count per week without the outdoor exercise:
    In ( without weekend cycling ) = approx 8500
    Out BMR only = 12040
    Out with indoor excercise = between 1300 and 1700

That is a deficit of 4800 minimum per week yet no weight loss in 6 months.

I do NOT forget to log calories eaten regardless of how insignificant they seem to be.
    I eat pretty much the same thing every day, there are some variations which are ALL logged.

My conclusion:
    Either some or all of the below are true

Labels on food are not accurate
    Fresh food calorie information is not accurate
    BMR calculations are complete crap
    Calories burned during exercise based on hear rate not accurate.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    andyarceye wrote: »
    My conclusion:
    Either some or all of the below are true

Labels on food are not accurate
    Fresh food calorie information is not accurate
    BMR calculations are complete crap
    Calories burned during exercise based on hear rate not accurate.
    I think that BMR estimators are just that, estimators. You might be different from the average BMR for someone of your inputs by hundreds of calories.

Same for heart rate monitors. They were designed to monitor heart rate, not provide calorie estimates, and they can be very wrong.

Calorie data is all just estimates, too. And the human element introduces even more error. We virtually all think we don't miss significant calories in our logging but studies suggest we all do. We also all think we don't run a stop sign now and then but how would we know when the definition of the problem is "something we missed"?

• Im new on this site..I know this topic was written a lil ways back....I enjoyed this..I am trying to figure out all the weights and cups myself..I dont have a scale I am trusting that the pkg is correct...I will be shopping for one today..I also learned already that if I snoop thru the data base before I cook my meal I can get closer to target..Example today I wanted to lower my calories and up my sodium just a little due to cramping..So I looked up every single item..LOL It was YUMMY
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    I clearly underestimating sense Im losing more than what I have set up to lose per week.
  • sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    A food scale is a must have.
  • draco25000
    draco25000 Posts: 28 Member
    Do you guys ever go on 'diet' breaks, like I have around 2-3kg left to lose, and sometimes for a week I'll just eat maintenance calories and then go back to eating at a deficit the next week. (I'm going to also do this week beginning 22nd December so I can enjoy the holidays ^^) I know it slows down weight loss, but I find it quite easy and flexible to do, and it makes losing weight seem natural, I dunno haha
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    draco25000 wrote: »
    Do you guys ever go on 'diet' breaks, like I have around 2-3kg left to lose, and sometimes for a week I'll just eat maintenance calories and then go back to eating at a deficit the next week. (I'm going to also do this week beginning 22nd December so I can enjoy the holidays ^^) I know it slows down weight loss, but I find it quite easy and flexible to do, and it makes losing weight seem natural, I dunno haha

I do for sure! Sometimes, it's just good for my sanity and others, it's because of things like holidays.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    draco25000 wrote: »

When I first started and lost my weight over about a year, I had a couple of diet breaks (and there are some 'natural' times to take them - over the holidays, vacations etc). I found they were very useful to get my hormones back into whack and just give myself a mental break. It helped with adherence over the longer term. I took one every three to four months and did them for 2 weeks.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    I don't know where I'd be without my food scale. It's not expensive or super fancy, but that dinky little terror gets the job done. That, my HRM, and MFP have been the most important tools for my weight loss. There's no way I could have done it with just measuring cups.