fav way to cook butternut squash?

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Bump! Loving the recipes...
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Variations on butternut squash soup:

start with 2 or 3 lb squash, cubed and cooked till soft.
    mash to the desired chunkiness or puree for smooth texture

Coconut soup
    Add a can of coconut milk, 1/2 tsp each of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, warm through

Sour Apple:
    3 to 5 green apples peeled and cubed or run through one of those hand-cranked peeler-slicers. Cook with squash. Salt and pepper to taste. Some people top it with cream just before serving. I have gotten DW out of that habit.

Baked
    With apple rings and mace:
    Peel and seed squash, slice into 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick rings. Peel and slice 6 or so McIntosh apples into 1/4 inch thick rings. Alternate layers in a baking dish. Top with brown sugar and butter. Spice with 1/2 tsp mace, not nutmeg. Mace makes a difference. A little salt. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Hey, a little sugar and butte with all that squash will not kill you.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2014
    Butternut is a very sweet squash, others are mostly just starchy. Don't over look them, they make good additions to many things noted above. Similar to tofu which has little flavor, squash adds body and fiber to many dishes.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member

Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup

Prep Time: 35 mins
    Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:
    3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion
    2 tbsp garlic, or two cloves
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    7 cups water
    1 cups dry garbonzo beans
    1/2 butternut squash
    6 slices bacon
    1 cup wild rice or barley

Heat the olive oil in a skillet, add the onion, garlic and chopped bacon. Cook until the bacon is done and the onions are soft. Stir in the tomato paste, mix together well. Stir in 1/2 cup of water and scrap up the bits and pieces in the pan. Put the mixture into a 6qt crockpot. Add the garbonzo beans and the rest of the water to the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours. About 2 hours before serving, add the rice or barley and stir in well.

Serve topped with grated cheese (I like cheddar) and a dab of sour cream.

Per 1 Cup Serving without the cheese and sour cream:
    Calories: 155
    Carbs: 27
    Protien: 7
    Fat: 4

I dont like the traditional butternut squash soup, so looked for a variation. Found this in a tiny cookbook that was a free give away gift at a scrapbooking convention my mother in law went to. The bacon flavor is wonderful and the garbonzo beans and rice give it a great texture.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited November 2014
    I grew up with boiled winter squash so that's how I usually cook it. Plus there's usually some sort of meat taking up the oven so I have to cook it on the stove top (apartment sized oven). Peel, scoop seeds out and cube it all up. Put it in water, bring to boil and continue boiling until soft when poked with a fork. Drain, mash with fork and enjoy!
    And I usually serve that with roasted chicken or pork chops/tenderloin.

These recipes are pretty darn good too. I usually get a good sized squash, make the beef stew first and then use leftover squash to make the homefries. For the homefries, you can mix with 2 cups of cooked rice for a pretty well rounded meatless meal.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Breakfast/recipe?id=9492388

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/no-recipe-zone-recipes/Potato-Topped-Beef-Stew
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Butternut and Apple Mash
    Cubed butternut squash, a couple peeled and sliced apples, and about 1/2 cup of liquid (water, apple juice or cider). Simmer on the stove with some cinnamon and nutmeg (or pumpkin pie spice) till you can mash it all up. Makes a nice sweet side dish.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    You can also microwave cook it if looking for a faster prep time:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5818256_cook-butternut-squash-microwave.html
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    butternut squash n leek mash

1 medium b-squash ( peeled,seeded, cubed )
    1 medium leek ( sliced in half length wise, then diced )
    1 container Roasted garlic cream cheese ( softened )**

put squash and leek into a pot with just enough water to cover with a little salt. Bring to boil, then simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, toss in cream cheese and mix with hand-mixer.

** sometimes i mix the flavors of cream cheese, using half of each, original and garlic.

This recipe becomes our "mashed potato" replacement side as soon as Autumn hits. We are so sad when the season ends...lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Cut into fries shapes and sprayed with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven until crispy and slightly blackened

also in a butternut squash risotto
  • ItsSlimpossible12
    ItsSlimpossible12 Posts: 127 Member
    Here is the lasagna recipe. Made it last week for the first time and it will DEFINITELY be added to the regular rotation. SO YUMMY!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html
  • katmei52
    katmei52 Posts: 3 Member
    I just posted this recipe on the thread recipes but there you go I loooove this recipe cause I am a pasta fan

topinornot.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/creamy-butternut-squash-pasta/#more-133

y2mjvkcxh98p.jpg
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Bump!
  • Just made roasted butternut squash soup last week.

Peel & dice one squash
    Clean and chop 3 leeks into 1-2' pieces (white only)
    6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
    1/4 c sage, chopped
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    salt & pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients in a bowl with just enough olive oil to lightly coat it.
    Spread into a single layer on a cookie sheet and (optionally dot with up to 2 tbsp butter)
    roast at 350 until soft and caramelized. Stirring frequently.

Puree with chicken broth to desired consistency. Serve garnished with a spoonful of plain greek yogurt and some finely chopped fresh sage.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    roasted or in risotto
  • Daisies86
    Daisies86 Posts: 12 Member
    alheise12 wrote: »
    Here is the lasagna recipe. Made it last week for the first time and it will DEFINITELY be added to the regular rotation. SO YUMMY!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html

Looks delish.

I have just cooked up a big pot of butternut squash and sweet potato curry that I am going to portion out and freeze some!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    @squishprincess - I like to skin it, and then cube it.

Once cubed, I toss it in a little olive oil, maple syrup, sage, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.

Then I roast it. Dats dun gud.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    I roast it in halves and scoop it out with a spoon. Very simple but yummy.

I just saw a commercial where they cooked it with a thai sauce and coconut milk and pureed it into a soup, that looked tasty!
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    gbv5fcvcw1ui.jpg
    pf4hj4bpx6j4.jpg

This is for acorn squash but I love it with all kinds, and my 2,4&36 year old boys eat it up!!!!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    paleomg.com/clean-it-up-mondays-ginger-cilantro-baked-chicken/

Made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing! I don't buy that marinade just toss my chicken in olive oil, fresh ginger diced, fresh garlic diced, fresh cilantro diced and salt and pepper... And then put it all in the pan. I love a one pan recipe!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    I usually just cut it in half and bake it, it's nice to throw a spring of fresh rosemary across it while it bakes and remove it after it's done.

It's totally unnecessary to add anything to it but for Thanksgiving I'm making a candied butternut squash to take to the in-laws. I'm going to puree it with brown sugar, butter and cream cheese after I cook it. (Then I'm going to put it into a pie pumpkin and bake it a bit longer.) That's a little silly for an everyday dish.